Try to contain the outrage.

I got into a little dialogue, by accident, with some woman about 2a stuff and was pretty floored by some of the excrement she produced in opposition. As such, I imagined you all would get a kick out of it. Here are a couple of direct quotes, not taken out of context, and this is real stuff from facebook.

"What are guns for again? Please say protection so I can laugh! (Kinda reminds me of driving...everyone is aggressive because everyone else is aggresive. If one person would just become defensive, people would begin to relax and realize there isn't a need for aggresion and an aggressive defense is not a defense at all but a power tripping offense!) Explain to me how a christian can own a gun with the intent to shoot someone? (even in self defense?) Turn the other cheek! I remember reading somewhere that 'the meek shall inherit the earth.' I may be wrong, but I don't believe 'the meek' will be gun 'totin'!"

Pretty good eh? There's more, and it's better.

"Superiority Complex. (If only we could buy warheads as personal defense!) "Attackers" use the art of surprise, having a gun will do nothing to prevent this from happening. All animals will avoid humans unless provoked/hungry and all humans who are paying attention can see/hear most animals before they get close enough to use a handgun.(Unless of course your walking into a national forest with a scoped rifle in which case, YEE HAW!) Unless a gun owner has as quick of a mind as they do a trigger finger (given they are an expert shot, which is likely not the case) a gun will prove useless to them in any such encounter. The only thing a gun (handgun) provides is a false sense of security. Studies prove that an attacker is more likely to use YOUR gun against you than vise versa.

Oh, in response to the "threatened by a criminal", yes I have been. Jumped by three guys walking home from work, didn't make we want to run out an buy a gun, instead I am just more aware of my surroundings."

Edited by Kelemvor
took out random "read more's"
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mikedwood

Does she live in Oak Ridge? Here is an OP-ED in todays wonderful edition of the Oak Ridger.

Gun-toting vigilantes not needed in parks - Oak Ridge, TN - The Oak Ridger

Looks like the anti's may be gearing up. Humm if the liberals had a big push to attack the 2nd real hard then few would pay attention to health care and they could get whatever they wanted passed. Maybe that's thier plan.

then according to her, she thinks all crime including all violent crime should be decriminalized--turn the other cheek and all of that. Not even the police, nor the military would be allowed to have guns, let alone a citizen, and criminals--criminals would all just play nice with everyone, would never do a thing to hurt you and everyone would live happily ever after....

just when you think people cannot become any more ignorant--they do.

I love how folks like to quote scripture to fit their own agenda's. Those scriptures are completly out of context. Maybe you should tell her that since she likes to obey scripture she can read "and Judas hung himself," then quote, "go and do likewise." Or maybe the proverb, "A fools lips invites a beating":D

Then give me her address and I will come help her become more meek and humble by taking everything she has of value. I only want to help after all.

Today's "meek" are the ignorant and uninformed, of which there is an overabundance. Yes, sadly, they will inherit the Earth. As wards of the "state".

The state cannot have people thinking for themselves....

Just for fun here is the Greek understanding of the word meek, as in the verse "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."

1. PRAÃœTĒS, or PRAOTES, an earlier form, (πραϋτης, (4240)) denotes meekness. In its use in Scripture, in which it has a fuller, deeper significance than in non–scriptural Greek writings, it consists not in a person’s “outward behaviour only; nor yet in his relations to his fellow–men; as little in his mere natural disposition. Rather it is an inwrought grace of the soul; and the exercises of it are first and chiefly towards God. It is that temper of spirit in which we accept His dealings with us as good, and therefore without disputing or resisting; it is closely linked with the word tapeinophrosunē [humility], and follows directly upon it, Eph. 4:2; Col. 3:12; cp. the adjectives in the Sept. of Zeph. 3:12, “meek and lowly;” … it is only the humble heart which is also the meek, and which, as such, does not fight against God and more or less struggle and contend with Him. This meekness, however, being first of all a meekness before God, is also such in the face of men, even of evil men, out of a sense that these, with the insults and injuries which they may inflict, are permitted and employed by Him for the chastening and purifying of His elect” (Trench, Syn. § xlii). In Gal. 5:23 it is associated with enkrateia, self–control.[/url] cp. compare, see also

Sept. Septuagint

Syn. Synonyms

W.E. Vine and F.F. Bruce, Vine's Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words, 56 (Old Tappan NJ: Revell, 1981; Published in electronic form by Logos Research Systems, 1996).

From the linked article:

"One tired argument I hear from the pro-gun crowd is that there's already guns in the parks, but they're illegal. That may be true, and that's how I want it to stay. If someone pulls a gun in a park, I want that person to go to jail. However, in 12 years of visiting Oak Ridge parks, I've yet to see even a shoving match between two people, much less any form of gunplay, so I don't see that there's currently a problem of such magnitude that it requires gun-toting vigilantes to roam our parks. "

See I don't think anyone wants gun toting vigilantes in parks. I think everyone agrees 100%. But some of us, even some of us who aren't permit holders, don't have any problem with responsible, permitted individuals carrying in parks.

Besides, if you have a permit and pull a gun in a park do you really go to jail? Is there a huge rash of HCP holders just whipping out their weapons to swat flies and get a discount from vendors?

I don't see the evidence of an HCP problem that needs addressing. I suspect it is just a shot because it is a hot button issue rather than a problem of any type to let HCP people carry in city parks.

Mention to her that Christ himself told His disciples in Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

God provided for self-defense when He gave the law.

Edited by justme

I'm still reeling from the backwards arsed logic that she is throwing out in the second one...

"Superiority Complex. (If only we could buy warheads as personal defense!)"

I can't even dignify this with a response.

"Attackers" use the art of surprise, having a gun will do nothing to prevent this from happening."

Yes, because all attackers sneak right up to you and kill you before you can even react. They also don't care about the loud report of a gun or elevating their offense from robbery to murder.

"All animals will avoid humans unless provoked/hungry and all humans who are paying attention can see/hear most animals before they get close enough to use a handgun."

Animals, unlike attackers, don't have "the art of surprise" and have bells and sirens to warn you when they approach so you can easily flee and outrun them. Also, the provoked and hungry animals don't count, these situations never happen and if they do, it is your fault.

Unless a gun owner has as quick of a mind as they do a trigger finger (given they are an expert shot, which is likely not the case) a gun will prove useless to them in any such encounter.

Because you have to hit an animal to stop an attack(the sound of a gun cannot scare an animal), it cannot work because people that go through the HCP permit process don't know how to shoot and can't be bothered to go to a range to learn.

The only thing a gun (handgun) provides is a false sense of security. Studies prove that an attacker is more likely to use YOUR gun against you than vise versa.

Not only will brandishing a gun at an attacker not stop them (nor will shooting them, which you can't do because you aren't an expert shot), but real science shows that they will more than likely just take it from you and kill you.

Oh, in response to the "threatened by a criminal", yes I have been. Jumped by three guys walking home from work, didn't make we want to run out an buy a gun, instead I am just more aware of my surroundings."

It was so bad that still rely on avoidance and the response time of the police (who I can easily call in such a situation.)

I'm still reeling from the backwards arsed logic that she is throwing out in the second one...

"Superiority Complex. (If only we could buy warheads as personal defense!)"

I can't even dignify this with a response.

"Attackers" use the art of surprise, having a gun will do nothing to prevent this from happening."

Yes, because all attackers sneak right up to you and kill you before you can even react. They also don't care about the loud report of a gun or elevating their offense from robbery to murder.

"All animals will avoid humans unless provoked/hungry and all humans who are paying attention can see/hear most animals before they get close enough to use a handgun."

Animals, unlike attackers, don't have "the art of surprise" and have bells and sirens to warn you when they approach so you can easily flee and outrun them. Also, the provoked and hungry animals don't count, these situations never happen and if they do, it is your fault.

Unless a gun owner has as quick of a mind as they do a trigger finger (given they are an expert shot, which is likely not the case) a gun will prove useless to them in any such encounter.

Because you have to hit an animal to stop an attack(the sound of a gun cannot scare an animal), it cannot work because people that go through the HCP permit process don't know how to shoot and can't be bothered to go to a range to learn.

The only thing a gun (handgun) provides is a false sense of security. Studies prove that an attacker is more likely to use YOUR gun against you than vise versa.

Not only will brandishing a gun at an attacker not stop them (nor will shooting them, which you can't do because you aren't an expert shot), but real science shows that they will more than likely just take it from you and kill you.

It was so bad that still rely on avoidance and the response time of the police (who I can easily call in such a situation.)

1. That she is completely ignorant is an understatement.

2. I would like to see those "scientific studies" she is alluding to that prove your gun will, more often than not be taken from you and used against you.

3. The comment she made about the warhead is asinine.

4. How does she know that people who go through the permit process don't know how to shoot? I knew how to shoot long before I went through the permit course.

5. According to her--all criminals are from the Shrine of the mall ninja and can therefore be on top of you before you can see/hear them :puke:

6.can anyone really be that ignorant?

would you mind posting the FB link?

My wife and myself are christians and she had a bit of a problem with the idea of shooting someone. she talked to our deacon at church and he told her if someone breaks into the house to go ahead and shoot the jerk. Now we go to the range together and she out shoots me with a handgun. God doesn't expect anybody to just give their life away to some jerk off criminal without trying to defend ones self. yes the meek shall inherit the earth, but where does it say the meek must not protect the lives of themselves or their families.

Also the lady said that she had been jumped by three guys, did she file a police report so they could be arrested. seems with her thought process they should not be jailed as she should forgive them completely. Hopefully the next time she plays victim it will not be a case of rape or her life. :puke:

Also the lady said that she had been jumped by three guys, did she file a police report so they could be arrested. seems with her thought process they should not be jailed as she should forgive them completely. Hopefully the next time she plays victim it will not be a case of rape or her life. :puke:

Why would she file a police report? To do so would mean that she would have to go around people who carry guns--and she has already admitted that she is totally against people carrying guns.

1. That she is completely ignorant is an understatement.

2. I would like to see those "scientific studies" she is alluding to that prove your gun will, more often than not be taken from you and used against you.

3. The comment she made about the warhead is asinine.

4. How does she know that people who go through the permit process don't know how to shoot? I knew how to shoot long before I went through the permit course.

5. According to her--all criminals are from the Shrine of the mall ninja and can therefore be on top of you before you can see/hear them :koolaid:

6.can anyone really be that ignorant?

would you mind posting the FB link?

Yeah, this lady is so wrong in every sense that I just want to shake her. I would post a link, but it is on a third party's wall who I feel bad about arguing with this lady on anyways and even then I'm not sure if the link would work unless you were friends with the third party.

Sounds like she needs to be jumped a few more times. :2cents:

Honestly as bad as it sounds this was my first though. The ones she says "jumped" her obviously didn't do her any harm, or take anything of that much importance to her. Had they beaten her and left her for dead I would have to guarantee she would have a different opinion on things.

To me people like this always end up just sounding like someone who is scared of firearms. They think since they are terrified of them that no one should own one. Heck, I hate bees but that doesn't mean I think bee keeping should be banned.

Also leaves me wondering if maybe she took her HCP course after she was mugged, and couldn't pass the course. Since she can't carry a gun she feels like no one else should either...

I got into a little dialogue, by accident, with some woman about 2a stuff and was pretty floored by some of the excrement she produced in opposition. As such, I imagined you all would get a kick out of it. Here are a couple of direct quotes, not taken out of context, and this is real stuff from facebook.

"What are guns for again? Please say protection so I can laugh! (Kinda reminds me of driving...everyone is aggressive because everyone else is aggresive. If one person would just become defensive, people would begin to relax and realize there isn't a need for aggresion and an aggressive defense is not a defense at all but a power tripping offense!) Explain to me how a christian can own a gun with the intent to shoot someone? (even in self defense?) Turn the other cheek! I remember reading somewhere that 'the meek shall inherit the earth.' I may be wrong, but I don't believe 'the meek' will be gun 'totin'!"

Pretty good eh? There's more, and it's better.

"Superiority Complex. (If only we could buy warheads as personal defense!) "Attackers" use the art of surprise, having a gun will do nothing to prevent this from happening. All animals will avoid humans unless provoked/hungry and all humans who are paying attention can see/hear most animals before they get close enough to use a handgun.(Unless of course your walking into a national forest with a scoped rifle in which case, YEE HAW!) Unless a gun owner has as quick of a mind as they do a trigger finger (given they are an expert shot, which is likely not the case) a gun will prove useless to them in any such encounter. The only thing a gun (handgun) provides is a false sense of security. Studies prove that an attacker is more likely to use YOUR gun against you than vise versa.

Do I really need to point out the blatant hypocrisy and stupidity in those two statements? How is it that her being aware of her surroundings will help her avoid being a victim, but me being aware of my surroundings AND armed, won't? Maybe you can have that brain donor explain that to me, because being the dense gun owner that I am, I'm having more than just a little trouble understanding that.

What's terrifying is that she sounds relatively intelligent (intelligence by itself not very useful .... as aptly demonstrated), just not very smart. The problem is there are too many people like her in government and committed to removal of our rights. These people are scary .... so fervently committed to imposing their views on others. It seems clear, she actually believes what she's saying .........