What are your five must have guns

Guest mosinon

Guest 10mm4me

AR/15 .556

Glock 19/17 9mm

Remington 870 Supermag 12ga/Remington 11-87 12ga

Remington Nylon 66 .22lr (best .22 ever made)

Remington 700 BDL 30-06 w/Leupold or Zeiss glass

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Navygunner

1 Sig P220 combat

2 Surgeon scalpel .308-.338 sniper

Rifle

3 Barrett Rec7 in 6.8

4 Mossberg 590

5 H&K MP5 (This one is strait fantasy but a guy can dream can't he...)

Those are all assuming money grew on trees. Lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

In no particular order:

Lever action 30-30. Will take pretty much any game in this area out to the distances I am most likely to have a 'clear shot' at. Having similar ballistics to 7.62X39, I think it would work pretty well as a defensive rifle, too. With practice, rate of fire could be pretty good without wasting ammo by spraying and praying.

.357 revolver - preferably a 4 inch barrel (short enough to carry manageably for SD but long enough to get more potential out of .357 loads for hunting backup use.)

12 gauge pump shotgun w/barrel long enough for hunting (shorter, interchangeable barrel for security usage would be a plus but not 100% necessary.)

.22LR rifle of just about any action type. A repeater would be better but even a single shot would be okay since it would be mostly for practice and small game hunting.

Convertible single-action .22 pistol. This allows one to use anything from CB's all the way up to 50 grain WMR rounds, making for a pretty versatile rimfire wheelgun.

* A lever-action .357 might make a decent alternative to the 30-30 and would give ammo compatability with the .357 revolver. Problem there is, if .38/.357 ammo runs scarce, you are now out of ammo for both your main handgun and your centerfire rifle. For that reason, I like the idea of a bit of ammo diversification.

Edited by JAB
Guest buttonhook

ok i'll bite

12 gauge shotgun pump/auto/single shot doesn't matter I like the autos

10/22 rifle because parts and ammo would easy to find

9 mm hand gun

AR and combo

barrett 50 because sometimes you've just got to kill something!

plus you should be able to get ammo for most of them (even the 50 if SHTF for real)

Guest Willy McCoy

New here, but I'll play.

I don't think I'd need five guns other than to replace one that's no longer serviceable.

A good .22 rifle with good iron sights on it because it's hard to beat one.

And a lever gun in 357. Mine has a 24" barrel, holds 14 rounds, within 100 yards is pretty close to a 30-30 balistically and I've made a 5 gallon bucket dance at 400 with it using factory ammo. I can do better with my own loadings.

As for a pistol, if I must have one, a Ruger Single Six would be my top choice.

Already have:

S&W AR15

Remington 870 tactical

Springfield 1911 Operator

Want to get:

Glock 23

M21

Obviously the list could go on and on and I have other weapons but if I had to choose only 5 these would get it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Xring04

9mm pistol. XDM would be my choice.

.22lr semi auto. Marlin 60 or 10/22

.38/.357 snubbie. 642

Ar15 with .22 conversion bolt.

12ga shotgun. Beretta 1201.

In no particular order:

.22 bolt action- simple, reliable, accurate

.308 bolt action

12 Ga pump, 870 is hard to argue with

AK47

1911 45acp

Specific manufacturers could be debated, but I'd feel totally comfortable with a collection of these five types. Heck, my grandfather only had one of them and it served him well most of his life- a bolt .22!

Edited by tenman

Being still in the early stages of learning about guns, already have a Garand.

A second Garand is the goal, and probably a second Lee-Enfield #4 (Nothing sporterized).

If somebody can teach me to shoot my Yugo Mauser at 100 yards (a 5" group), a Czech VZ-24 would be really nice, but good ones are very hard to find.

Guest Scramasax

I always havwe a love/hate realtionship with threads like this, It makes me have to choose from the stable. I also have to cheat a little.

AR-15 with .223/6.8/.50Beowulf/.22lr uppers

Marlin 94 carbine .357

Smith m27

Springfield TRP Operator

While I prefer my .41 magnum for my levergun/revolver combo I have to give in to the availability of the .357/38.

I would like a md.97 takedown and a 1894 takedown for travel guns but just haven't found them for sale when I had the ready cash.

Best regards,

tad

1. S&W M-19 4" .357

2. Remington 870 12 Ga, semi custom

3. Ruger 77/22

4. Rugar 22/45

5. Marlin 1894 in .357 or .44 Mag

Lot's of reason's for the selection's but it come's down to all are very useful for outdoor walk about's and small farm use. The shotgun and .357 or .44 Magnum will take down a deer sized animal or critter if the need arises. As to the concept of firepower and such consider this; unless you entrenched in a reinforced firebase with near unlimited help and supplie's you are wide open in a survival situation. Everyone has opinion's on this but anything long term, well...short term disorder's are a different story.