What are your five must have guns

Guest mosinon

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, it would depend on the scenario/setting... but a good all-around list for me would be:

1) Ruger Vaquero in .45 LC

2) Marlin 336 in 30-30

3) Rock River Arms 6.8 SPC (along w/5.56 upper)

4) Springfield XD9

5) Ruger 10/22

this set-up takes care of 4-legged problems, as well as 2-legged problems, and provides meat for the table...

wow, picking just 5 is really tough!! :D

(if I could pick one more, it'd be a Remington 870 12 gauge)

If I had to cut my current collection down to 5?

12ga shotgun (Mossberg 590)

Browning HP 9mm

Marlin 1894C .357 levergun

Ruger GP100 .357 revolver

S&W 638 .38spl CCW revolver (although if I had to condense I'd probably make more of an effort to replace this with a 649 in .357)

But that doesn't work, because I couldn't give up my AK, or my CZ 452, or my AR, or my Ruger 22/45, or my No4.mk1 Enfield, or ...

Guest Pvt.Joker

My 5 "Must-have" guns... Assuming that one considers a "must-have" as being what one might need for addressing whatever hilarity may ensue in a SHTF type situation, I would go with these:

1) Russian Dragunov TIGR/SVD with day optic and nightscope. Effective MBR with the ease of swapping out to address problems 24 hours, because you can't always choose when trouble comes, or from how far away.

DSC02579.jpg

2) Colt WWII 1911A1. Because, well, .45acp gets the job done and is combat proven.

DSC02543.jpg

3) RPD beltfed weapon. Because sometimes when you step on a cockroach, a few hundred of its friends show up for the funeral. ;) Plus, it carries more rounds for less weight.

DSC02416.jpg

4) Vz-58. What the AK should have become, and with a bigger round than the AR-15. Also has the advantage of common ammo with the RPD mentioned above.

DSC02569.jpg

5) Black powder rifle; preferably a flintlock or maybe an Enfield P53. Because IF things completely fall apart, some day ammo and reloading supplies may not be available. But with a flintlock, a bullet mold, and the knowledge of how to make homemade black powder and to melt and cast lead balls, you will always have SOME sort of firepower that can be passed on. Sometimes the most basic technology has a place in being prepared. (Still got to get this one...)

Of course, with all of the above, one is none and two is one still applies as far as filling the roles. Alternatives to numbers 1 and 3 would be the M1D Garand and a 1919A6 both in .30-06 or MG-42 semi and K98 low turret sniper rifle in 8mm as well, although those give up the nightscope option. Always better to have more than JUST the 5 of course, but if I *HAD* to pick, those would be the ones from what I've got to choose from.

1) FN FAL - all purpose defense out to 500 yards

2) Witness 10mm - The heaviest pistol caliber I can accurately shoot quickly

3) Remington 870 - Sometimes you just need a shotgun

4) Taurus 94 .22 revolver - Kills squirrels almost silently with Colibri ammo.

5) Marlin 39A .22 rifle - Feeds any .22 ammo you can find, shoots accurately.

1-Home Defense Pump Shotgun

2-Self Defense Semi-Automatic Pistol 45 [1911]

3-Self Defense Relvover [s&W K or N Frame]

4-Concealed Carry [.38 snub or 9mm compact]

5-Carbine Rifle [10/22 or 30 cal]

Guest pontiac_fiero_g

.22 rifle probably either marlin model 60 or henry lever gun. because ammo is pleniful, light, and this would most likely be the gun that puts meat on the table most often, remember the top of the food pyramid is small but the base is large.

mn 91/30 or m27(if i could find one) because it would take any game that i needed it to with a decent shot and most with a mediocre shot. amomo is not as plentiful as some calibers but common enough that i can probably find it if i need it. one hell of a reliable weapon, i have heard stories of soliders using the bayonet as a tent stake and the rifle as a hammer. plus the shock wave will kill any beast of the 2 legged varieties with out even hitting them :popcorn:

44mag revolver for close up defense. no autos here i want reliable because if the shtf then i dont want to be worried about if i remembered to clean my gun and if it is going to fire when i need it to. (i know it contradicts #2 but get over it)

ak47 because i like the ability to put a few nice heavy bullets downrange in a hurry and i think that it will be one of the easiest calibers to come by in that situation. and as always i dont think you can break one with anyless than a bulldozer so i dont have to worry about breakage.

a nice little sling shot. ammo is infinite. ammo is infinite. ammo is infinite. ammo is infinite. oh yeah did i mention that ammo is infinite. might not do much but will take a rabbit or bird quite easily at close ranges, can be repaired or built out of almost anything and did i mention that ammo is infinite?

if i could add a #6 it would be an ar-15 because lets face the facts in this situation its everyman for himself and if need be i would not hesitate to steal all that .223 you have if it provided for my family.

Glock 17 w/.22lr conversion

1911 .45acp w/.22lr conversion

Mossberg 500 12ga, 18" IC, 26" Accuchoke, 24" rifled

M14/M1A .308

AR with multiple uppers, 14.5' M4 profile, dedicated .22lr, Ferret .50BMG

i think this may be considered cheating but i think it covers most options

1. 12ga Shotgun bird/buck/slugs...so many different uses(my choice remmy 870)

2. 50BMG Sometimes you really dont want your enemy to get within a mile ;-D

3. 1911 .45 a proven manstopper (my choice is a Dan Wesson...reliable and accurate)

4. 22lr rifle or target pistol (ammo is plentiful, you can carry a lot without weighing you down, good for small game)

5. AK or AR (my choice is my AK in 5.56x45 as its light, never jams, and is plenty accurate)

Very nice collection Joker!

My 5 would be, in no particular order of preference.....

Taurus Judge in 45LC/.410

Remmy 870

Henry Big boy .44

Winchester Wildcat .22

After that, I'm on a 50/50 tie between the good old L1A1 SLR (In case I really need to reach out & touch somebody :yum: ) & a good .458 Express double (In case I find myself in 19th centurey East Africa)

Guest Gunsaddles

Guess it all depends on your circumstances, folks in urban situations have a completely different set of issues to deal with as folks in the country do. I live way out in the country so for me I have the following:

1. A .22LR small game getter (mine is a Ruger 10/22)

2. A large caliber bolt action for larger game (mine is a .308 Enfield)

3. Shotgun (mossburg 500)

4. Carry pistol for defense (Glock 19 or Bersa 380 for me)

5. Home defense carbine (Yugo AK for me)

I also think a revolver is useful to have in the country for snake shot - maybe a 22 or 38. I'm toying with this idea at the moment, so if anyoine has any thoughts on that? Currently I'm leaning towards a .22LR revolver, simply because I already use .22 so i have some lying around. Going to a .38 means I have to stock another caliber.

• 3 weeks later...

Only 5? My bare minimum battery would be:

1. 12 gauge shotgun (Mossberg 500)

2. Semi Auto handgun (XDSC 9)

3. Revolver (Ruger SP101 357 mag)

4. Bolt action rifle (I have Remington 700 in 7 mag...but 270 or 30.06 would also work)

5. 22LR

The only ones I don't have are the .22 and the revolver. I'm building my collection slowly but surely. :cool: