Opinions on PARA - ORDINANCE 1911 stuff

leroy

Dear fellow pistol affectionados:

I have been watching and reading about the PARA stuff for quite a while. I really like the looks of the new Para mil spec type 1911, and you cant beat the price. The problem to me seems to be that opinions are sharply divided concerning the quality and reliability of PARA products. Please school me concerning your experiences with them if you would. What do you like about them? What do you not like about them? What goes wrong with them? How do they shoot? ect, ect.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

LEROY

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Leroy, perhaps I can shed some light.

I bought a Para SSP 1911 a few months ago, and it's been flawless. It's a single-stack, and has a few options from the factory (beavertail grip safety, trigger, stainless coating, lowered ejection port, target hammer, etc...) I have loved shooting this pistol, and it's taken every kind of ammo that I've put through it - hollow point, hardball, reloads, and every manufacturer from Hornady and Federal all the way to Atlantic Arms and cheaper stuff.

It's funny that you mention looking at the GI Expert. I convinced a good friend of mine to trade his Taurus in for a brand new GI yesterday - I think that he made the right choice. The gun was tight from the factory, well-made, and upon cleaning it for the first time, and then reoiling, it was a pleasant surprise to see many of the same features as my more expensive Para SSP (and as well, my Springfield).

You'll like a GI, should you get one. The only things that I'd do are to change the grips out, and then get some better sights on it (the factory ones are nice, though).

Good luck.

Para's are good guns and they've always had inovative products, and now that they are made in the US i say even better. the gripe some people have with them is the Canadian steel (some say it is softer than US steel) Basically they say if you are shooting let's say 10k rounds through it per year it is only going to last you 10 years vs a bit longer. I say not many normal Joe's are going to put that many rounds through thier guns. Plus they are made in the US now so no more worrying about Canadian steel.

Guest JHatmaker

The only issue I've heard with them are that the small 9mm versions can hit and miss as far as feeding properly. Other than that I think they are great 1911's for the money.

I've had an SSP for a few months, as well. It quickly became my favorite gun that I've ever owned. It is a pure pleasure to shoot. I added a set of Hogue grips, since the front strap isn't checkered...but beyond that, perfect gun.

Para for some reason has that weird relationship with their customer base of you either LOVE them, or absolutely hate them. I've never met anyone that was in the "Meh" crowd with them.

Personally, I love their guns, and have had a warthog before and it shot great for bein so small.

Guest hoss6175

I have a P-12 and my wife carries a P-10 and both great pistols. The only problem I have had with either one was when my brother was fireing my P-12 the barrel bushing broke(he let it snap back in his sissy wrist cousing it to jam) but Para sent a new one to replace it in just a few days. I think it is a great gun and a great company to deal with. Buy 2 I did

Guest spoolie

I am so glad to see this thread....Moody convinced me yesterday to trade my taurus p945 in for a new para 1911. It is a very "stiff" gun and i can't wait to break "her" in.

para.jpg

Edited by spoolie

When the owner died, QC went to pot for a bit. Then they had a few problems when they moved from Canada to NC.

I've had about 7. I have regretted selling most of them. Right now, I'm thinking about selling my P13 (officer's frame, Commander slide 14 rds of 45acp goodness) and getting an alloy frame P14 (15 shot Gov't size alloy gun). If I could, I'd keep the steel P13, buy an alloy P13, buy an alloy P14, and buy a steel P14 AND a P16 (40S&W) for conversion to 10mm (gotta LOVE the idea of a 17 shot 10mm!) for general hunting.

I had a P14 Limited that had over 30K rds through it.It is the ONLY semi auto pistol I ever owned (that I shot over 100 rds through) that NEVER malfunctioned.The only Para guns that I know of that had problems were the LDA models.

Guest louderthebetter

I have a Baer Custom S.R.P. slide on a double stack Para-Ordnance frame so I

don't know which it is but I do know its without a doubt the best 45 I have.

I've no idea the rounds its sent down range and can't ever remember it not doing

its job if I do mine.

For the sake of this thread,I'll call it a Para-Ordnance and rate it 100%

I have the P13-45 Limited Edition and I've sent it back to the factory twice before they finally fixed the feed ramp/top left barrel issue. Now it runs like a champ and I would'nt trade it for anything. The customer support is pretty good, they seem to stand behind their product. I was out shipping and insurance but when I EDC it for 4 years, I was'nt worried about it functioning. It's still my favorite range gun. I bought it because two of my friends had different Para's and they ran like a top too.

Guest BigShot

I've owned this P14-45 Limited for probly 4 years now and it has been flawless.... Very accurate, reliable and not picky what brand or type ammo goes in the pipe. Been a pleasure to shoot.

The double stack mag is wider than single so it needs a ham hand like mine to feel right. It has evolved into the backup pistol at the range because it is heavy. However, it IS a great piece and does the backup job well. My buddy's Kimber was always laying down on him and had it not been for the "LTD", we would have made a short day at the firing line. It eats anything and likes the 10 ring. :rant:

Brought myself REAL close to trading and selling this Para a few times but I'm glad I didn't give it away now. Nothing but great things to say about the Para "Limited" series.

MVC-706X.jpg

Dear folks:____________

Thanks to all of you who took the time to provide your thoughts on Para products. It looks like now all i need to do is to get to work on finding the best deal i can on a GI.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

LEROY