Anyone build a home?

TNTitan

My wife and I are toying with the notion of building a home. Ive got a few friends that have done it in recent years and each one had their own little piece of hell during the process. One took 3 times as long as they expected, and another one cost 3 times more than they budgeted.. but the thought of a home exactly as we want it is soooo enticing.

Anyone done it? Thoughts, feedback, pitfalls? Any advice would be appreciated. We are likely years away, but like to plan these things waaay ahead.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you planning on running the job yourself or hire a contractor? If you're running contractors on your own, get a big Italian guy in a track suit to hang out everyday. It'll be worth the cost.

Codes is what will cost both time and money. They DO NOT like home owners doing it themselves. If you have a contractor or architect who can help navigate you through that issue it's not all that hard and can save you money. Codes is like the IRS, no matter how well you obey what's written there is always something they can get you on. I've been working on a little 300 sq. ft addition and this has cost me an additional $2000 ($5000 budget) and 2 months. Nothing we did wrong just the process.:rolleyes:

There are alot of things to be considered,property, flat, two story, or maybe a basement. You need a good framer, brick mason, electriction,plumbers or a good contractor. Then you got painting, interior trim, cabinets, counter tops, floor cloverings, and light fixtures. I like the central vaccum systems, security system. Maybe a safe room for storms, and firearms. If the house in going to be out in the county you may want to think about a back up generator for some of those winter outages. Just to name a few.

Edited by Sidinman
Forgot about the weather, depending on what time of the year you get started.
My wife and I are toying with the notion of building a home. Ive got a few friends that have done it in recent years and each one had their own little piece of hell during the process. One took 3 times as long as they expected, and another one cost 3 times more than they budgeted.. but the thought of a home exactly as we want it is soooo enticing.

Anyone done it? Thoughts, feedback, pitfalls? Any advice would be appreciated. We are likely years away, but like to plan these things waaay ahead.

I've done it, but I work in construction.:P Assuming you are self contracting here are a few things to remember-

1) Make a budget and keep to it. Usually someone will buy a house plan and immediately enlarge it by 5-10%. And that's just at the beginning of construction. It gets out of hand quickly from there.

2) Find trustworthy subcontractors. Ask friends, neighbors, etc. who have had work done if they would recommend people.

3) Make a realistic schedule and let your subs know well in advance when you will need them on the job.

4) It is always a good idea to have contracts with your subs when doing major projects, especially if you are not a contractor. If you have truly quality subs this isn't an issue.

5) Hire a good contractor. I know I said I was assuming you were self contracting, but it is always easier with a truly good contractor. He will know things that you will not and he will know good subs to do the work. You can still be really involved in the process and get exactly what you want without a LOT of headaches.

6) Don't be afraid to ask questions.

7) Be cool. Everybody likes working for cool people.:)

Heck no I'm not doing it. Contractor FTW. Daniel, I was thinking something more like this guy

IN that case what will cost a lot of money is making a lot of changes. If you can lock into your design and materials early on you can save a bunch. Walker Lumber and Hardware here in Nashville can also help save you a lot of money and get you a lot better products. DO NOT use Home Depot or Lowes!

My wife and I are going to build in Greene county. We looked at all options.

We found a company called Nationwide homes out of Virginia. They have a web site. We are looking at a modular type ranch home with a full basement. They are advertised as having 30% more wood for strength, and it will take about 1-1/2 months from order to move in.

You may want to go that route. The price was way less than a stick built home.

Just an option. www.nationwidehomes.com

Hope this helps.

They have installers in most counties.

The DW and I built a house many years ago. The plans were a joint effort of the DW and me but mostly her ideas. We hired a general contractor, husband of a woman my wife taught with. We controlled expenditures, paid subs, paid pre agreed upon draws. The job came off very well and just under budget but slightly longer than contracted for. Unfortunately the GC discovered during our job that he had cancer and was dead thereof within a year. One prince of a guy.

The second build was actually a remodel and addition but we doubled the size of the original footprint. Again, the wife's plans. I hired a GC, one of the few times I have been taken in by a bull sh ter. He got into me about a thousand dollars before I fired him and took over the job myself.

I had trouble with the subs on this job. Guy who was running the carpenter crew was a druggie and spent a couple weeks in jail when he was to be running the crew:death:

The carpenter crew cut a section of old roof back right before a rain storm and would not cover it because it was five o'clock. :screwy:I had to do it myself. We got that job done but way under budget because I did some of the work myself, including installing the steel roof.

Block crew did not follow plans exactly and I made them tear half a wall down and redo it. Electrical, plumbing, HAV went well. Had trouble finding a good drywall man but eventually did. I am convinced I was known by a few as a SOB on that job but I got it done, turned out well.

Talk to your friends who have done it and make notes. Control the money yourself. Pay ONLY as agreed by contract. Do it. Good luck,

oldogy

The DW and I built a house many years ago. The plans were a joint effort of the DW and me but mostly her ideas. We hired a general contractor, husband of a woman my wife taught with. We controlled expenditures, paid subs, paid pre agreed upon draws. The job came off very well and just under budget but slightly longer than contracted for. Unfortunately the GC discovered during our job that he had cancer and was dead thereof within a year. One prince of a guy.

The second build was actually a remodel and addition but we doubled the size of the original footprint. Again, the wife's plans. I hired a GC, one of the few times I have been taken in by a bull sh ter. He got into me about a thousand dollars before I fired him and took over the job myself.

I had trouble with the subs on this job. Guy who was running the carpenter crew was a druggie and spent a couple weeks in jail when he was to be running the crew:death:

The carpenter crew cut a section of old roof back right before a rain storm and would not cover it because it was five o'clock. :screwy:I had to do it myself. We got that job done but way under budget because I did some of the work myself, including installing the steel roof.

Block crew did not follow plans exactly and I made them tear half a wall down and redo it. Electrical, plumbing, HAV went well. Had trouble finding a good drywall man but eventually did. I am convinced I was known by a few as a SOB on that job but I got it done, turned out well.

Talk to your friends who have done it and make notes. Control the money yourself. Pay ONLY as agreed by contract. Do it. Good luck,

oldogy

Again I highly recommend going to Walkers Lumber and Hardware. They been around forever and are a top notch contractor supply company. They know all of the contractors in the area and if they say they are good then they are solid. BTW it is owned by Bob Harwell. If that last name rings some bells.:)

stick to your original plans, firmly. DO NOT add or change along the way, subs jack the price up exponentially when you start making changes, it costs 3x+ the amount of time and money.

check out DirectBuy you can save lots of money that way. trust me on that.

Anything special you want to incorporate into the home, let all related sub contractors know BEFORE they start.

Well, My dad is in the process of rebuilding his home. We lost the house i grew up in Tullahoma to a house fire earlier this year( lost mom to Smoke inhalation from the fire). So dad is just now starting on the rebuild( it won't be exactly like we had before because to many memories). He hired a contractor and had plans drawn up from an architect in Murfreesboro. Just had the footer poured last week and as soon as this upcoming storm( tomorrow) is out of the way they are supposed to begin the foundation. Supposedly it is going to take close to 4 months estimated time to completion.

But i know my dad picked out his plumber and HVAC installer. The contractor supposedly has the rest picked out. But we looked at the houses the contractor has recently built before making decisions.

I know when we did a remodeling job( back when I was in H.S.) it took us nearly 3 years to remodel the kitchen, dining, and add 2 new rooms. Figure since we did most everything ourselves aside from the cabinets, counter tops and carpeting, we did a pretty good job and saved some doing it ourselves. We did eat out a lot though while the kitchen looked like a warzone.

Edited by Wyldk2
forgot letter
x1000000!

98% of professional contractors/sub-contractors HATE Home Depot and Lowes! for anything

I know from experience ( that some employees of lowe's and HD, HATE some contractors too).

Best to deal with a supply warehouse, and maybe use HD or Lowe's for the stuff you can't find at the building supply. But price everything before you buy and get several estimates. Most places will price-match.

Codes is like the IRS, no matter how well you obey what's written there is always something they can get you on.

My dad always said "If you can't succeed as an architect, engineer, or contractor, there's always the codes dept" ;)

Guest Gun Geek

I know you are all the way in Nashville, but this guy is in Sevierville & has arms that reach out further to other states( my understanding may be wrong). STAY AWAY from anything built or having anything built by Darren Keene (Keene Builders), or his partner I cant remember his name. His daughter also "owns" a realty company. Almost had them build a home, got out at the last minute. Several others will say the same.

Well if you buy the electricial materials , you will save the 40 % mark up that the contractor charges . Trust me on that I work for a good size electricial cotractor , I am a superentendent for one out of Nashville . I see all the cost sheets .A good place to get elec. materials is Williams Wholesale on Cowen st. .Go in ask for Travis tell him Gabriel sent you , he'll take good care of you !