Info on VZ 58s

Moped

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent guns. They are not AK's as the internal are all different and not interchangeable. The lower is milled and it has fewer parts than the AK. An excellent updated AK if you will. They started at $800+ but they have since come way down. Darkstar has one and he really like it. I will be getting one as soon as the list of "gotta haves" gets whittled down.

I have one of the CzechPoint VZ 58's and really enjoy it. I believe it is more accurate than the AK I have shot and eats the same ammo. Very easy to clean and maintain. As was stated above, different internals than an AK. Very nicely made though.

It does use special mags so you can't just use AK mags. Need the vz 58's as they have a hold open feature and lock in differently. Non-compliant mags are cheaper than the compliant ones from CzechPoint.

From what I have heard, the CZ sold gun and the CzechPoint are the same gun. CzechPoint just sells them for less. I don't have any data on this but just what I read and was told at my gun dealer when I picked mine up. He ordered the CZ's for someone else and said they looked identical to my CzechPoint. (Czechpoint USA - distributor of Sa vz. 58 rifles and Sa vz. 61 Scorpions)

Michael

Guest Pvt.Joker

I built mine from an Ohio Rapid Fire receiver and muzzle brake welded to the barrel BEFORE getting the rest of the parts (to avoid any SBR issues), a parts kit, and used a US gas piston from APEX and the rest of the internal US FCG parts from Czechpoint (to make it 922r compliant with original mags).

It turned out pretty nice, but honestly for what they cost now, I'd buy one from Czechpoint instead today. GREAT folks to deal with. The only real advantages to the ORF one the way I built it are the original mags being 922r compliant, the ORF receiver having the original Vz-58 markings replicated on the receiver (their info and s/n are on the bottom by the trigger guard, in very small letters), and the ability to have the factory bayonet mount. Plus, I bought the folding stock off eBay for it to go with the fixed one and they change with one screw and about 3 minutes' worth of work, so that is nice.

So either one works, and is nicer than an AK (unless maybe you have an original Russian milled kit rebuilt) while still shooting the same ammo as my RPD, which also mattered to me.

DSC02570.jpg

DSC02569.jpg

Lighter than an AK, and feels handier. The mags are alloy which also saves weight. They also tend to be more accurate than an AK. And the safety works normally. The folding stock makes a very compact package, but is a pain to try to shoot accurately. The trigger is better than an AK with no trigger slap. And the striker firing system seems to be smoother and faster than an AKs hammer.

The mechanism is more complicated than an AK, and it probably wouldn't be as reliable under extreme nasty conditions. But I would much prefer to have the CZ over an AK for zombie-repellent.