1911 Newbie Question

Thince1980

I am a complete 1911 newbie. Sure I ooh and aah over all the pictures around here, but I don't know them inside and out a like a lot of people, so please forgive me for an ignorant question.

How hard is it to get a real, plain, all steel, GI, military issue 1911? Plain and original.

Also, How much should I expect to pay for such a gun?

Thanks for any advice

Rebtl

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How hard is it to get a real, plain, all steel, GI, military issue 1911? Plain and original.

Many manufacturers make GI-style 1911's. Rock Island Armory and Springfield Armory are IMHO the best. $400 for the RIA and $600 for the SA.

Guest Crunchman

If you mean one that has "Property of US Gov't" on the slide, then you got to search the auction sites, pawn shops, gun dealers, and shows, and, of course, here on TGO. Sometimes they do show up and, usually, at a premium price. You might consider either the Springfield GI or the Para GI models. They usually run in the $500/$600 range.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I actually was talking about getting a "United States Property" Colt 1911A1.

I assume when you say "premium price you mean $1500 plus or more, but I will look at some of those places.

If that is the case, then no I probably can't afford one.

Yall already mentioned a couple, but which guns are known to be the most rugged reliable, GI 1911's.

Thanks,

Rebtl

Guest Crunchman

Check out this page on Gunbroker. It scared me!

Never mind. I can't get it to post. It's a 1911a1 starting at $6,000.

Edited by Crunchman
Thanks for the responses guys.

I actually was talking about getting a "United States Property" Colt 1911A1.

I assume when you say "premium price you mean $1500 plus or more, but I will look at some of those places.

If that's what you want (as do I) then you're into that $1500 territory if not more and it is easy to get ripped on one to.

If you just want something built exactly like the original to shoot and have some fun with - the modern manufactured ones are the way to go.

Colt does have a very authentic 1918 style 1911 reproduction (not A1) with authentic roll marks and even the US Property on it. Those are about $1000.

Thanks for the advice Garufa,

I definitely do want a real Colt A1, but I think that dream will have to wait. The funds of a college student definitely don't work there.

However, I am really liking the look of the Springfield GI or Springfield Mil-Spec. I am going to keep my eye out for one of those.

The Colt reproduction is probably the last one I would choose. If I am going to buy the original, I want the original. If I am going to buy something cheaper to shoot, then I will get something cheaper. A price in the middle for neither doesn't do much for me.

Rebtl

I am a complete 1911 newbie. Sure I ooh and aah over all the pictures around here, but I don't know them inside and out a like a lot of people, so please forgive me for an ignorant question.

Thanks for any advice

Rebtl

I'd recommend checking out this 1911 site. Do a bit of homework here. There are various sub-forums per manufacturer. I spent about 3 months on here before taking the plunge.

1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Good luck!

The Colt reproduction is probably the last one I would choose. If I am going to buy the original, I want the original.

It is the original. It's not a reproduction. The original company just put them back into manufacture after a hiatus. I have one. It is most excellent, and absolutely the real deal.

Guest Gun Geek

Yeah if you are looking for original, you will pay big bucks.

There are a lot of 1911 manufacturers out there that offer a GI 1911 clone. On a clone you can expect to pay anywhere from $400 up to $700 depending on brand.

As someone already mentioned check out that 1911 forum there is a lot of good information on there and some very knowledgeable people. Keep in mind though, that people are going to push for brand loyalty. The Kimber fans will push that Para fans that, colt etc etc. Also on that forum you will see complaints about every manufacturer, most likely more than you will see praise. Take those with a grain of salt, all manufacturers have their problems here and there its just the loudest people are the ones who complain. Read a lot of posts about all of the makes, the complaints and the praise then weigh them out.

It is the original. It's not a reproduction. The original company just put them back into manufacture after a hiatus. I have one. It is most excellent, and absolutely the real deal.

Sorry I didn't really understand that from the description Garufa gave.

Colt does have a very authentic 1918 style 1911 reproduction (not A1) with authentic roll marks and even the US Property on it.

Thats good to know and makes me want to consider it.

Rebtl

As someone already mentioned check out that 1911 forum there is a lot of good information on there and some very knowledgeable people. Keep in mind though, that people are going to push for brand loyalty. The Kimber fans will push that Para fans that, colt etc etc. Also on that forum you will see complaints about every manufacturer, most likely more than you will see praise. Take those with a grain of salt, all manufacturers have their problems here and there its just the loudest people are the ones who complain. Read a lot of posts about all of the makes, the complaints and the praise then weigh them out.

As it is with all gun owners and brand loyal customers.

I know what you mean though, I am going to start doing my research

Sorry I didn't really understand that from the description Garufa gave.

Let me clarify a bit. It is considered a "reproduction," and it is called that. However, Colt makes it. They were the original contracted manufacturer of the JMB design, so there are those of us that don't see it as a "reproduction" at all. To us, Colt just resumed manufacture of a model they discontinued years ago.

We feel that if it were made by another company, it would certainly be a repro. However, since it's still coming out of Hartford (albeit not the blue dome), it's still "the original."

Does that help clarify the point?

If you want an issued piece, have patience. Lots of it. Scour pawnshops, yard sales, estate sales. Put the word out. Eventually (within a couple or three years) one is likely to pop up more or less in your back yard, and if you're quick and the seller isn't, very, you can get it at a good price.

Very probably, you'll have to replace the aftermarket grips, maybe the trigger, but you'll have an original.

If you don't have that much patience, the Colt O1918 is definitely the way to go. There are about 3 very minor (and fairly nit-picky) differences between Colts' offering today, and the pistol they produced in 1918. If you shop around (I'd suggest starting with dealers that are prominent here on TGO, hint hint) you can get it for less than 1K.

If you don't have either the patience or the extra scratch, there are some very good alternatives - Argentine Sistema 27's, for example, or simply the Springfield GI (good gun, but I don't really care for the Springfield Armory "Billboard" emblem on the slide).

Before you start this whole thing, though, you might want to think about where it can lead...

DSC03565.jpg