Background for long guns?

titan14

Am i missing something? Do you have to have a background check to buy a long gun? Can you buy a long gun online without the FFL transfer? Is there a difference for "short" long guns? If i DO buy one online...do I pay tax?

I know I know....tooooooooo many questions...but...i am obviously confused...

Seems that everywhere i check, i'm reading that to buy one online you have to transfer to ffl and have a background check....I didnt think you had to do this in tennessee....

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest clsutton21
Am i missing something? Do you have to have a background check to buy a long gun? Can you buy a long gun online without the FFL transfer? Is there a difference for "short" long guns?

Seems that everywhere i check, i'm reading that to buy one online you have to tranfer to ffl and have a background check....I didnt think you had to do this in tennessee....

Ya do. Sorry. Try going to Wal-Mart and buying one without a background check. :doh:

Seems that everywhere i check, i'm reading that to buy one online you have to transfer to ffl and have a background check....I didnt think you had to do this in tennessee....

You do.

I think there may be acceptions for buying long guns face to face in surrounding states from dealers, but I have never done.

Guest clsutton21
Did this change recently?.....its been several years since i bought a shotty....

Not in the last 11 years...that's when I got my first 20ga. I remember my grandfather filling out the paperwork.

Did this change recently?.....its been several years since i bought a shotty....

No.

If you buy one online,it must go through an FFL.

If you buy one from an individual,it may be shipped directly,but good luck on getting UPS to do that.

On tax,yes tax is supposed to be paid just like with anyother online purchase.

If it goes to an FFL,no,they can not charge you tax as their just the middle man,and you're not buying it from them.

Guest GunTroll
No.

If you buy one online,it must go through an FFL.

If you buy one from an individual,it may be shipped directly,but good luck on getting UPS to do that.

On tax,yes tax is supposed to be paid just like with anyother online purchase.

If it goes to an FFL,no,they can not charge you tax as their just the middle man,and you're not buying it from them.

You shouldn't have to pay tax if your purchasing it from out of state. Only if you buy something from a store/retail outlet or whatever that is in the same state as your receiving address. I have bought thousands of items online and have NEVER paid tax for them.

UPS info....http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

Read them carefully. It would appear at first that it would be ok to send people firearms but it seems it contradicts certain ATF laws. Even when "gifting" the said firearm. Mind boggling sort of.

Edited by GunTroll
Guest GunTroll
I believe muzzle loaders can be bought without doing a 4473, but I'm not positive on that.

If it can't be switched to a centerfire, rimfire, shotgun, like some of the new ones can. The KP1 comes to mind. If its a true to the core Muzzle loader (black powder) with out the capability to be "switched" then your good.

You shouldn't have to pay tax if your purchasing it from out of state. Only if you buy something from a store/retail outlet or whatever that is in the same state as your receiving address. I have bought thousands of items online and have NEVER paid tax for them.

Nope,you're still are required to pay tax on everything,just not to that out of state seller (that'd be taxation w\o representation)

Tennessee Consumer Use Tax Return.

Guest abailey362

you can buy a long gun out of state from a dealer or FTF, no issues at all. I bought a rifle in Huntsville a couple months ago and there was nothing different except I dind't have to pay $10 for the bg

you can buy a long gun out of state from a dealer or FTF, no issues at all. I bought a rifle in Huntsville a couple months ago and there was nothing different except I dind't have to pay $10 for the bg

Congratulations, you just broke a federal law and maybe Alabama law if you did a FTF.

You may buy a long gun from a dealer out of state at their shop, but not a handgun.

You may NOT buy a gun of any type from a resident from another state FTF, whether they come to your home state or vice versa.

All interstate transaction MUST go through a FFL.

All intrastate transaction do not have to go through a FFL. If I buy a gun from Joe Snuffy in Memphis, he may mail it to me as an individual via USPS, UPS, etc.

If I buy a gun from Joe and he lives in Huntsville, AL he must ship it to a receiving FFL here so I may pick it up there after completion of a 4473/BGC.

People these same misinformed questions/responses come up EVERY MONTH!!!!!

Go to the ATF website FAQ section. They answer all of these issues in a clear, simple, and concise manner (which is a rarity in .gov service).

UPS info....UPS: Shipping Firearms

Read them carefully. It would appear at first that it would be ok to send people firearms but it seems it contradicts certain ATF laws. Even when "gifting" the said firearm. Mind boggling sort of.

Yes you have to pay the tax, at least your supposed too. The only way they will be able to enforce it will be if its a brand new gun coming from a distributor. If an old and rusty coming from ma and pa's gun shop they wont have a clue where you got it, or if it was just a transfer from a friend.

People these same misinformed questions/responses come up EVERY MONTH!!!!!

And every month we give the same answers. :D

No, you can’t across states lines, a shipper wouldn’t do it even if you could, and yes you are suppose to pay taxes whether you do or not.

Edited by DaveTN