Primers

Guest Sec334

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, this is probably a dumb question, but I've heard a couple of different things lately.

Can small rifle primers be used in small pistol loads? Likewise, what about small pistol or small pistol magnum primers being used in small rifle loads?

My initial response is No. However, I've heard a couple of people say that they either have done it, and a few others that think it can be done. It just seems to me like the burn rate would be too different for it to be done safely, but I'm still new to reloading and being very cautious. What do y'all think?

Small rifle primers can be used for small pistol all day long. The only difference is that small rifle has a harder anvil. So the potential for a light strike is possible. IPSC shooters have been using them for 20+ years for 38 super because they would prevent primer flow in very hot rounds. Try them and if you have no light strikes you are good to go.

Also, y'all probably know this but just in case:

You can use small pistol magmum as a substitute for regular small pistol as well. They will add roughly 10fps (on average) to your load. In most pistol loads I will just bump the powder down a tenth or two to compensate. However, if you are pushing a max load I would start even lower with the powder just as a precaution. A good thing to know if primers are hard to come by. LIKE NOW!!!!!:blink:

56Fordguy knows ALL about that part of the equation. He snagged a 1000 of those last week!

That is good to know since I have a large supply of small rifle and much smaller supply of small pistol.

I think the surge is about to end though.

I sure hope so. Before long I will have to resort to pointing my finger and saying bang, bang.

Guest Mugster
I sure hope so. Before long I will have to resort to pointing my finger and saying bang, bang.

Its almost over, imo. At the gunshow today there was plenty of ammo. The steel cased stuff is dropping like a stone. Plenty of powder but its high. Primers are still waaaaaay overpriced.

Good to know. I guess small pistol primers are too soft for small rifle loads, then?

Here's hoping the bubble bursts soon, I need some .30 carbine bullets.

Yeah, I wouldn't go in that direction. I've seen primers pushed back into firing pin holes when the softer primers are used in higher pressure rounds. This is what I referred to as primer flow in my first post on this thread. A real mess for semi autos in particular.

• 1 month later...

Hey gang - Ive got some Fed-200 Small Pistol Magnum Primers, and I have read a bit about using them in .45 ACP.

I know handloads.com says to use the Rem 2.5 LP primers for my 185gr JHP's, but I was wondering if anyone has used SP magnum primers for .45 with any success?

No go for .45 or Just notch down the Powder Weight a bit or what?

Guest Crunchman

From all info that I could find, the consensus is that the NT (non toxic primer) brass is a PITA to reload. The primer pockets have to be chamfered to get normal small pistol primers to fit and to NOT use magnum small pistol primers. Also, the manufacturers, Federal and Speer, recommend that they not be reloaded, which is CYA for them. I read some articles where the authors have reloaded the NTs but found that they had to enlarge the flash holes to get consistent burn rates. Just IMHO, stick with normal large pistol primer type brass and avoid possible mix ups with two different types of same caliber brass.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question: Starting to make my 1st bullets using the load data I got from the Accurate Arms.

185gr JHP, 5.7gr starting load of AA#2.. but they recommended Federal 150 LP primers.... I only have Remington 2-1/2 LP primers. Are they the same or does this change my load requirements now?! smiley5.gif

image?saleitemid=285443image?saleitemid=155826

IMHO Yes, sort of.... LP's will most LIKELY be pretty much the same. When working up a load with known data and your components are same always start at the lowest charge.

Thats pretty much what I do anyway when ANYTHING changes, ie bullet, powder batch, etc... Just make sure you pay attention between Magnum primers and standard primers.