AK vs SKS for survival and HDR Home Defense Rifle

Guest 1817ak47

Guest 1817ak47

I have a yugo sks right now and I like it except it is long and heavy. and I know ak's are good for functioning in undesireable conditions. so lets hear some opinions as I am wanting/thinking about trading up from a sks to a ak, the only thing I don't like is losing hte ability to load with strpper clips.

let here some input from those with experieince with these. I am staying with 7.62 x 39:tough:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker
I have both, so here is my info

PRO's for the AK, Doesn't jam that easy, mags are cheaper, quicker to sell

PRO's for SKS, better accuracy than AK, rifle is cheaper to buy.:)

Where / how do you rank the Ruger Mini 30? (pertaining to your informative post in my thread...)

Guest mikedwood

I think for the most part Gunman covered it.

My usual deciding factor in guns that are close are what kind of parts and accesories are easily avalible. I think the SKS and the AK are pretty close in that regard.

I personally love the AK I like the SKS. I have a friend that loves the SKS and likes the AK. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I wouldn't be ashamed of either one and I'd rather have both. <<<< ---- best idea :cry:

Guest jimdigriz

I love the SKS (especially its look), but the AK has much more firepower.

Guest jimdigriz
My SKS has USA SKS 30 round mags !!!

That's good, and I hope they function flawlessly. But most SKSs do not have more than a 10 round mag, and the gun was not originally designed for detachable mags.

Don't get me wrong, I love the SKS. But in a SHTF/survival scenario, a person with a typical SKS would be greatly outgunned.

I like the SKS for potential caching/backup purposes. Its simplicity, ubiquity, and inexpensiveness, makes it ideal for such.

Guest jimdigriz
The SKS wouldn't be my first choice for when SHTF, BUT If I only had about $200 to spend on a semi-auto rifle, with decent accuracy, it's hard to beat the SKS ???

True I guess, though I haven't seen an SKS for a long time now for less than $275 at any of the gun shows. Typical price is closer to $400. At that price, a Saiga AK is a better deal.

I have a yugo sks right now and I like it except it is long and heavy. and I know ak's are good for functioning in undesireable conditions. so lets hear some opinions as I am wanting/thinking about trading up from a sks to a ak, the only thing I don't like is losing hte ability to load with strpper clips.

let here some input from those with experieince with these. I am staying with 7.62 x 39:tough:

Can you run that rifle like a mothertrucker? If so, I'd say you're golden. Buy more ammo, shoot more ammo, train.

the VZ58 is the Czechoslovakian version of the AK. by all reports it is better than the AK.

it is also designed to use the SKS stripper. so you could 'top off' your magazine with out have to change out the mags.

a good friend bought his from http://czechpoint-usa

check it out, when I'm ready to pick up an AK variant, it will be a VZ.58

Guest coldblackwind
True I guess, though I haven't seen an SKS for a long time now for less than $275 at any of the gun shows. Typical price is closer to $400. At that price, a Saiga AK is a better deal.

I've started to see them more and more for around $250, $400 is pretty much a russian or norinco. Picked mine up for $165 in franklin a couple months ago (had to brag a bit :bowrofl:).

As for which is better, both are very good guns. I would say, if you want something to just survive in the woods with, I would likely go with the SKS due mainly to its accuracy, cheap price, and, arguably, easier design to move through brush with without the magazine to get hung up. If you're thinking more like post apocolyptic, zombies are taking over the world, while the russians invade, and the aliens try to steal your kidneys, then I would have to say AK. Far superior firepower, considering its 30 round capacity. As for the stripper clip problem, who needs a 5-10 round stripper clip when you can stick in a full 30 round magazine?

As for home defense, other than the price difference, and it's not that much at present, I would say AK all the way.

Edited by coldblackwind
...then I would have to say AK. Far superior firepower, considering its 30 round capacity. As for the stripper clip problem, who needs a 5-10 round stripper clip when you can stick in a full 30 round magazine?

I would rather load a stripper clip than change out magazines. If you do make it past the first hour when the balloon goes up, how many magazines are you planning to have...? Most infantrymen carry 6. (180 rounds plus extra ammo.....on stripper clips) So when you run all your magazines dry, you would have to stop and reload them anyway, IF you retained them while firing on the move. Just my $0.02.

I have two of each and doubt I'd get rid of any of them. If you have an SKS already and you're asking about whether to trade up to an AK you may not be happy until you do. Have you tried out somebody else's AK yet? They each have their own unique features and to me are very different. At the range my Norinco SKS is a better shooter. Trigger needs help and not as easy as the AK to work on, but these folks http://www.apwcogan.com/SKS%20Page.htm will do mine. I think the SKS is more of an all purpose rifle than the AK. If it's for survival and shooting game or BG's I'd take the SKS.

The AK is more fun to shoot, but I go through far more ammo! If I go to a gun fight I don't leave without a vest full of mags and an AK! Because of weight and length it's a far easier rifle to handle. It functions flawlessly and is totally dependable.

Good luck making your decision!

Here's a quick thought......

They both are easy to maintain, both are about as accurate as the other (pending shooter).....so all one would need to really do is to decide on weather they want to deal with stripper clips (old school) or mags (new school)...do they want more of an "old school" rifle feel or do they want more of a "modern" combat rifle. Most people will choose an AK over and SKS bacause they feel it's more of a "modern" proven combat rifle. Seeing the SKS and stripper clips, most would feel this is a slower way to reload and you have to reload 3 times to get the equal use of 1 AK mag....(then there's the 75rd drum issue)....

Then you have people like me who build SKS's into "mock" modern combat rifles' and love'em......

They both are great platforms to play with. Both reliable, accurate and fun.......pick up an AK shoot it.....then decide to just add and AK to your arsenal.

Edited by kwe45919

Love my SKS, never have found an AK I liked better.

For the record, with practice, someone using clips can reload about as fast as a mag change (though obviously with greater frequency considering the 10 rnd SKS capacity vs the easily available 30 rnd mags available for the AK).

I'd not feel bad about only having an SKS if it ever became necessary. I've shot it quite a bit and am very comfortable with it, so that helps...

I have an SKS, which I've fired and like a lot. I have a Romanian "Romy G" AK ready to have the riveting done for final assembly. Anyone in the Middle Tennessee area that has done that, with the proper riveting tools? I could just go smash the rivets, but want it look like a professional job. Anyone willing to help me finish this project in the area? I'd be willing to pay a reasonable fee for your services. Thanks.

Get an AK pistol, they're great for shooting BGs and walks in the park.

All kidding aside, the AK is the SHTF weapon o'choice. Lots of ammo, rarely jam, lots of stopping power and all in a relatively easy to handle platform. I have a few and if I ever have to bug out, I'll probably leave the AR and grab the AK unless, of course, I can grab both.

aj..Good luck in your decision. I find after much deliberation that this thread is killing me. Can't stop thinking about this evil choice I'd have to make. SKS vs AK47 just one??

Survival:

SKS :bored: For game gathering, shootability, accuracy, and ergonomics. Who cares about a little extra weight and the barrel length doesn't hurt either. You ought to be able to dispatch anything with 10 rnds.

Home Defense:

AK47 :rolleyes: Who can argue this one. Key word Home. Give me the 40 rnd clip and the lighter, easier to manuver AK any day. If you want to blast off more than 10 rnds in HD do want to fumble with strippers?

Each one will perform the jobs you ask. One better than the other in each case. You like stripper clips vs mags. Like SUN said keep what you have and practice. I suck with strippers but lack practice. I have a pile of 40 rnd AK mags that will keep me going till something catches fire or dies!

If I had just one, and I find that choice painful, it would be the AK. You will never make an SKS an AK but you can shoot almost as well with an AK in most cases as an SKS. I left that decision with you after my first post as I hated to decide, but there it is. I said it. Now DON'T go taking my SKS away though! You really do need both to see what myself and others are saying. Better yet borrow one and take it for a range ride.