Dillon owners question.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the B is an upgraded version..

If you send a 550 back to dillon they can upgrade and I think all you pay is shipping either Dillon or Brian Enos - Competition Shooting Books, Slide-Glide, DVDs & Reloading can advise you..

I have heard several stories that started off " I bought an old Dillon press at a yard sale and sent it back... " and ended with "when I opened the box they shipped back I had a brand new press..."

NO-B.S. Warranty is truly defined by Dillon Precision we admitted we screwed up and broke a part all they asked for was our current address and 3 days later it was on our door step .. no questions and a "sorry it wasn't strong enough.."

John

P.S. I use an old 450 with the powder upgrade and am planning on a primer upgrade.. the changeable tool head conversion will wait as setting up dies etc. isn't that big a deal for me.

mine was a gift and my dads machine is still going strong after 20+ years

the 550 are the older ones, the 550 b is newer. i got a 550 in 1982, don't know when they change over to the 550 b, but it was not much later. i would buy a new one from dillon. the ones on ebay go to high and you don't know what you need to do to it to make it run. dillon will send repair parts free. i know, over the years i have gotten some for my 550. just last week dillon sent me a new primer system. i would not start out reloading with one. i would get a good used single stage press to learn and later move up to the dillon.

FWIW, I would recommend buying a new one from Brianenos.com. You'll not pay shipping, you'll get to choose what caliber conversion it comes with, and it will be brand new.

Unless you totally luck out, the ones on eBay go almost for the price of new, and you pay shipping on most of them. The reason for this is the warranty. Everyone knows that even if you buy one that ragged out, broken, rusted, and junk, Dillon will repair and replace everything with no questions asked.

Brian Enos has a really good reputation and has a lot of good stuff on his site. Having said that, I like to buy local whenever possible. With the Dillon stuff there isn't much movement on pricing so other than taxes it doesn't hurt to buy locally.

In addition, at least for me, the knowledge you can get from talking to a local vendor is usually well worth a small extra expense, especially when starting something like reloading.

Just my little .02...

Mark

Brian Enos has a really good reputation and has a lot of good stuff on his site. Having said that, I like to buy local whenever possible. With the Dillon stuff there isn't much movement on pricing so other than taxes it doesn't hurt to buy locally.

In addition, at least for me, the knowledge you can get from talking to a local vendor is usually well worth a small extra expense, especially when starting something like reloading.

Just my little .02...

Mark

Good info Mark and I agree, stopped by Reloaders bench today and got a really good price on the press I want and only a little bit more than a used unit off fleabay, I plan on buying a new 550B from them in the next couple of days!!!! COOP

That's where I picked mine up from. I started to build my bench the other day and got sidetracked putting decking for storage in the attic and then I had to use my new saw I got for Christmas to put some trim in the dining room so I haven't had a chance to do anything but clean some brass so far.

I'm watching your scale thread to see what you end up with as I still need to get one. I think I'm leaning towards getting a cheaper scale for use with the pistol stuff. Next year, when I start loading precision rifle rounds I think I will get a good scale to make sure I am fine tuning my powder charge correctly.

My reloading stuff is just sitting there calling out to me. But, we have a deal at the house: My wife gets me what I want & I use it to make stuff she wants so she gets to go to the head of the line for a few more days...

I really need to find someone in the area that is already running a 550 and go watch for maybe an hour just to kind of see how things work.

Mark

As far as The Reloader's Bench is concerned, I have gone up there several times, and each time I have been ignored until I find something that I want to buy. Their customer service has not impressed me at all. It makes me glad that I bought my 550B from Brian.

It depends on who's there when you go in. I've had really good experiences, and not so good experiences.

the first time I went in I kind of felt ignored at first. But, as soon as I asked a question they popped up and went to work.

I find it refreshing to not get hounded by sales people. Now when I go in I ask my question immediately and get my answers.

the first time I went in I kind of felt ignored at first. But, as soon as I asked a question they popped up and went to work.

I find it refreshing to not get hounded by sales people. Now when I go in I ask my question immediately and get my answers.

Simply greeting someone and asking if they need assistance is not hounding in my book. Neither occurred every time I've been in there.

Guest Verbal Kint
FWIW, I would recommend buying a new one from Brianenos.com. You'll not pay shipping, you'll get to choose what caliber conversion it comes with, and it will be brand new.

+1 :D