Carrying a .32 for self-defense

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Tomcat too. It stays in the safe because it has horrible reliability due to FTE. It will malfunction at least once a magazine. It was a gift so I can't sell it. If I were to carry it I would pick up some of Buffalo Bore's FMJ defense rounds. The Tomcat is a little larger than the LCP/P3AT. You could probably conceal some of the smaller 9mms easier than the Tomcat, like the 709 or Kahr 9mm.

.32 ACP +P Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

Guest AMERICAL
Do any of you regularly carry a .32 for self-defense? Which model suits you? Do you carry in your pocket or in a holster? What brand ammo do you recommend?
MY brother-in-law carries a S&W 32, it is a revolver, I don't know the model , but he seems to like it, he carries in his pocket. if this helps.

My problems with "pocket guns" in general, and I believe it is mostly the cause of the reliability issues (but would concede that I may be wrong about this), is the fact that pockets are notoriously dirty places. Even when using a pocket holster, I can't keep lint off, or out of my P3AT. Consequently, I've pretty much quit carrying the damned thing. I just don't have time to clean it on a daily basis, or whenever I decide to carry it.

All that being said, any weapon is better than no weapon at all. But the chances of having a one shot stop with a .32 or a .380 isn't very good (66% and 71% respectively). The Winchester 66gr Silvertip is the load that got a 66% OSS score in .32( good luck finding any, I've been scouring the web and can't find any).

I personally like to get my OSS scores in the 90's, that's why I go with a G27 (still a very light and easily concealable weapon with a OSS of 94% in 165gr Golden Saber) but you can even get good OSS percentages in 9mm if you go Corbon.

Edited by tntnixon

I regularly carry a Keltec .32 with the top two rounds being cor-bons and the rest Fiochi FMJ. The Cor-bons are really short and I don't trust them not to rim lock below the first mag. round. I do carry in my back pocket with a custom wallet holster. It stays fairly clean and I've taken it out on numerous occasions and fired it without cleaning just to see if it would work after carrying it. It does.

I alternate between it and a Kel-tec P11 9mm, depending on where I'm going and how I'm dressed. Though I find myself carrying the .32 more often.

I can dump a mag inside 6" at 20' pretty easily and pretty fast. It would need to be reserved for up close and personal work. Although I have shot Bianchi plates at 25 yards with some concentration. I've also shot 55 gal. drums fairly close and the rounds bounced off. Wonder if a perps head is about as tough as a drum?

Guest jimdigriz
I had a Berreta tomcat, and it shot really good, but i had alot of FTF. I sold it couple months ago $300 but for a small gun the accuracy was very good. The ammo is hard to find at bass pro 25 to 35 bucks for 50 shells of remington FMJ.

Prices have come down since then; I paid $20 for the same at Bass Pro a few weeks ago.

I find Prvi Partisan boxes of 50 for $16 at the gun shows. A good place to stock up on a lot of it.

Guest jimdigriz

The nice thing about the Kel Tec 32 is that you can carry it at times where you could not get away with carrying something as large as a 9mm. Better a 32 than nothing at all.

Guest jimdigriz
But the chances of having a one shot stop with a .32 or a .380 isn't very good (66% and 71% respectively).

True, but your odds using a .32 are better than that, I would think. In many cases, the mere production of a gun coupled with the obvious will to resist, will cause the BG to break off. And others will flee after they've been shot. That brings your odds over 90%, I'd say, and that's a heck of a lot better than being unarmed.

One if the best things I like about my .32 and my wife has one also, is that I bought up a bunch of FN surplus .32 ammo a while back, about $5 a box so we get some practice in on the cheap. I've run well over 1000 rnds. through mine and probably close to that through hers.

I carry a Ruger LCP .380 in my front pocket in a Desantis holster, most of the time I am awake. It is the easiest gun to carry that I have. It is dead reliable and never fails. I do have to de-lent it every few days. I have 2 of them.

I also have a Colt pony pocket lite .380 that came from Colts custom shop. A Colt pocket pocket nine 9mm. A S&W CS9 9mm, A S&W 642 38, and a S&W 640 in .357.

I still like carrying the Ruger LCP. It is the smallest gun I would carry though.

All of which relates to the topic, just how?

- OS

Guest BEARMAN

I carry my Kel-tec P-32 w/ crimson trace laser, in my left front pocket (me be southpaw) in the custom pocket holster i made for it...works really good and easy access too.

The.32 acp (7.65 mm) round was used by the German police as their primary carry gun caliber, until sometime in the early 70's, when they went to 9mm Parabellum, i believe.

I use the Winchester Silver-tip ammo w/ a flyer wire in the mag,to prevent rimlock and have had no hiccups w/ this set up, what so ever. See www.kel-tecrange.com to make the flyer wire...very easy,very cheap and it works. I carry an extra mag full of fmj rounds, for varmint disposal and target shooting, ect.

Most times, i forget i have it in my pocket, because the Kel-tec is so darn light! I find myself grabbing the Kel-tec set-up a lot of the time, when strapping on the Kimber ultra cdp just isn't practical...like hot summertime! :poop:

My wife carries the Beretta Tomcat Inox in her purse, it's also loaded with silver-tips...but the Tomcat Inox seems to weigh twice as much as the Kel-tec...with the laser!!! :D

Heave the lead...boys!!!

Guest BEARMAN

Yes Jack, thats exactly what it is...my bad... try www.KTrange.com and see if that works...go to articles and see #5. For some reason, i can't get this site to let me copy and paste in the body of the thread??? :D

The flyer wire keeps the rims from locking on hollowpoint ammo...ingenious!!! Hope this helps.

Heave the lead...boys!!!

Guest jackdm3
Sorry, I was relating my experience carrying a smaller gun. I guess my participation is not appreciated here. So I will not post any more.

Have a very pleasant day

I missed this. What just happened?

Wife alternates between a KelTec .32 and a .32 Walther PPK/S. Both come equipped with Win Silvertips. The Walther is a somewhat picky eater, but digests Win STs and, of all things, MagTech flawlessly. The KelTec will eat anything.

Sorry, I was relating my experience carrying a smaller gun. I guess my participation is not appreciated here. So I will not post any more.

Have a very pleasant day

Sorry if I threw your panties in a wad.

The topic:

"Carrying a .32 for self-defense"

OP asked:

"Do any of you regularly carry a .32 for self-defense? Which model suits you? Do you carry in your pocket or in a holster? What brand ammo do you recommend?"

Your response had nothing whatsoever to do with .32.

Perhaps by mentioning all the OTHER caliber weapons you own, you are suggesting that you don't think a person should carry a .32. If so, you should have said so, so to be somewhat on topic, even though that's not what OP wanted to know.

I trust you see my point.

If you don't, that's ok too.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot