Question...

Guest walkingdeadman

You should give discounts to whatever special groups you want. If you don’t want to; you shouldn’t.

For many departments it is a violation of department policy to accept discounts or free stuff. (Nothing is free. :D)

When you say you are always being asked; are you being asked by Cops and Firemen?

I would give discounts to Cops, Firemen, and Military if I could afford to because I have had two of those three jobs and I respect what they do. But I would do it because I want to; not because others do it.

As far as the cops off duty carry issue… its pretty comical to hear one special group arguing about what another special group gets when the average citizen would get arrested he he did it. :D

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think a discount should be expected or asked for, but I don't have an issue with those business owners who decide to offer some sort of a discount.

The whole "dangerous job" always seems to puzzle me, though. Statistically, LEO's and Firefighters rarely rank in the top 10, and if they do, they're almost always at the bottom.

Based on most of the search results (dangerous jobs) I've been able to find, trash collectors, farmers, truck drivers, general laborers, and loggers always rank far higher on the 'danger list' than LEO's and Firefighters. And many of the higher ranked dangerous jobs have lower salaries.

If we're giving out discounts based solely on danger, there should be several other occupations added to the list.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest boatme99

I used to be in retail and I would gladly give discounts to leo's and firemen. That said, I'd also give YOU a discount if you spend money in my store and I like you.

In my life I've recieved discounts just about anywhere I go repetedly. Restraunts, mechanics, tire shops, gunshops, cloths stores etc.

I never ask or expect it, and I never say anyting if I don't, you just recieve it for being a good customer.

i think off-duty leo's should be able to carry any and everywhere

I have an exception to that rule. They should never, never, never be under the influence while carrying. I've seen and heard of a couple horror stories with intoxicated off duty leos carrying their weapons.

I have an exception to that rule. They should never, never, never be under the influence while carrying. I've seen and heard of a couple horror stories with intoxicated off duty leos carrying their weapons.

i think that goes without saying!!! no one should be around firearms while under the influence.

Lots of folks get discounts, seniors, students, military and LEO's. Depends on if the store (owner) thinks it is good or not.

I do not believe that any citizen should have more rights than any other citizen unless they have lost their rights thru due process.

I sometimes get discounts, old guy and retired military, and appreciate them.

Edited by DWARREN123
Guest Linoge

When I was active duty, and a company offered a discount, I had no problems asking for it if I was out of uniform - they offered, and I might as well take them up on the offer.

That said, it is entirely a company's or owner's perogative as to whether or not they will offer the discount - I certainly appreciated it, and I may have frequented establishments that offered it more often than those that did not, but it was not exactly a make-or-break for me.

If you want to and can offer the discount, then more power to you. If you do not and/or cannot, no sweat. How you do your business is... well... your business.

I don't think that individuals that are LEO, Firefighters, or Military (Active or Retired) expect discounts. However there are tons of businesses out there that do give these individuals discounts but they do not advertise it.

When I was on active duty, I appreciated any discount I could get because the cash I had was really minimal.

As a retired military, I do appreciate a discount here and there, and you never know if a business will give a discount unless you ask. I have been to many small businesses and paid full price, but then found out later that they offer a military discount. I didn't go back and bitch, but did keep that in mind the next time I go to that establishment.

OP - If the business that you work in doesn't give these types of discounts, post a sign that says the following:

We DO NOT give discounts to the following:

Police Officers

Fire Fighters

EMT/EMS

Military (active, reserve, or retired)

Senior Citizens

ETC..

SO DON'T ASK!!!

And see how long your business continues. Not only will you lose these individuals in your establishment, you will lose a lot more of your business from the people that respect these individuals.

If you choose not to give discounts, then politely say "sorry, we don't". No need to get pissed.

While it is not a right for any individual to get a discount on products or services, it certainly is a right of the business to decide if it wishes to enhance its customer base and offer discounts.

Guest Muttling
Do you all think that cops and firemen should get special treatment, discounts or maybe even handouts from businesses?

I work for a family owned business and I am always being asked if we give discounts to cops or firemen, and honestly it pisses me off. ......

You've answered your own question. Don't give them CRAP!!!!

At the same time, expect them to do only what their job description requires if they're called to help you.

After all, your question is all about what one should be expected to do and not about going a single step beyond what you're paid to do.

Guest walkingdeadman
I don't think that individuals that are LEO, Firefighters, or Military (Active or Retired) expect discounts. However there are tons of businesses out there that do give these individuals discounts but they do not advertise it.

When I was on active duty, I appreciated any discount I could get because the cash I had was really minimal.

As a retired military, I do appreciate a discount here and there, and you never know if a business will give a discount unless you ask. I have been to many small businesses and paid full price, but then found out later that they offer a military discount. I didn't go back and bitch, but did keep that in mind the next time I go to that establishment.

OP - If the business that you work in doesn't give these types of discounts, post a sign that says the following:

We DO NOT give discounts to the following:

Police Officers

Fire Fighters

EMT/EMS

Military (active, reserve, or retired)

Senior Citizens

ETC..

SO DON'T ASK!!!

And see how long your business continues. Not only will you lose these individuals in your establishment, you will lose a lot more of your business from the people that respect these individuals.

If you choose not to give discounts, then politely say "sorry, we don't". No need to get pissed.

While it is not a right for any individual to get a discount on products or services, it certainly is a right of the business to decide if it wishes to enhance its customer base and offer discounts.

Well it's not so much that I get mad when they ask for a discount, it's the fact that they think they deserve it for holding a particular job. Like I said before, I do realize that they have a dangerous job. But when they made that decision to hold those jobs whether it be cop, paramedic, firefighter, etc. They knew what they were getting into. For that I don't owe them anything. I truly appreciate anyone that does those jobs, but a discount should not be offered.

Well it's not so much that I get mad when they ask for a discount, it's the fact that they think they deserve it for holding a particular job.

Some people deserve a little extra just for being able and willing to hold some jobs. Especially those jobs that have got to be done.

J.

Guest janwbrown616
What Verbal said....................

If I'm in uniform, and I am offered a discount, I accept gratefully and I appreciate it.

If I'm in uniform, and not offered a discount, I pay what they say and move on. There's no "WTF ? Where's my discount ?!!?"

Do I expect a discount ? NO. Do I appreciate the occasional courtesy ? Yes. When I accept one, do I feel like (as you do) that I am "abusing my job title" ? No, I don't.

When I signed up for this job, my overriding thought wasn't "Man, I am sooooo gonna rack up on that sweet 10% off at Captain D's !" :koolaid:

It's your family business. You don't want to offer a LE/Fire/EMS/Military discount ? Then don't. It's not a tough decision.

As for carrying while off duty. DUhhhh, they are at least trained to act in tuff situations. Just because you have a license to carry does not make you qualified to make decisions on when to respond and when to be a good witness. Unless you are well versed in the laws of the state, the options available during such a confrontation and the knowledge and or experience to react accordingly it's always better to leave it to..."the cops". Never having been to an HCP class I"m not sure what training is needed or received for a permit. Having been a cop and firearms training officer for 30 + years I know what type of training most cops go thru each year. I believe THAT training would give them the experience and ability to carry and react appropriately in any off duty situation. I think the old saying "if you think the cops are bad, next time you're in trouble call a hippy," (no offense to any holdouts from the last generation) is a pretty good thought to remember. If such a situation did arise I would much rather a cop, off duty respond than an unexperienced civilian with minimal training.

As for the other, most business appreciate having public safety officers, cops, firemen, emts and others around. It makes their customers feel a little safer also.

Selective discounts are just a way of influencing the type of clientèle your business has... it's no different than saying "everyone else has to pay more for the priviledge of patronizing my establishment". No different than a bar/club/etc having a 'ladies night'...

It really doesn't matter to me either way... I don't buy it if I don't need it, and if i buy anything it's from whomever treats me best (which are rarely those with some silly, selective discount system).