Favorite chili recipe?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mustangdave
Skyline is available at WalMart here. I think the Cincinnati Chili Mix packets are there too. Usually when we go back to Cincy we stock up on the mix packets anyway.

I don't think the Steak And Shake 5 Way is the same thing. But I am not sure. At least I don't know if they use Cincinnati style chili. Actually the Cincy chili is made by Greeks. So originally I think it must be Greek style chili.

Yes...the Steak & Shake version is WEAK...and has BEANS in the extreme...the Cincinnati chili I've had was BEANLESS...I've done a Cinci-Mix:yuck:...and was not thrilled with the result. My family is all from the Cincinnati area so they know "their" chili

the Cincinnati chili I've had was BEANLESS...

Chili on spaghetti = 2 way

chili on spaghetti with cheese=3 way

chili on spaghetti with onion and cheese = 4 way

chili on spaghetti with onion, cheese and beans = 5 way

I always preferred the 4 way and two cheese coneys w/onions.

Goes perfect after an evening of beer drinking

Guest mustangdave
Chili on spaghetti = 2 way

chili on spaghetti with cheese=3 way

chili on spaghetti with onion and cheese = 4 way

chili on spaghetti with onion, cheese and beans = 5 way

I always preferred the 4 way and two cheese coneys w/onions.

Goes perfect after an evening of beer drinking

WHEW!!! I must bow in your presence....;):bow::cool::bow:

I have never been a fan of the Chili you all speak of. My wife makes it, I don't ask about it. Don't really care for it. Not a big tomato fan. If I was going to eat it I would want it spicy.

Grew up on this stuff Skyline Chili - The Official Website of Skyline Chili

Anything else really is second best to me.

Do you all find that your chili tastes better the day after you make it rather than eating it right then when it's made? Not sure why but lots of food seems to be better after it has cooled down and is re-heated. Dunno why.

You can buy Skyline at Krogers, I prefer Gold Star and unfortunately have to buy that online and pay for shipping..... One of the biggest things I miss about Cincinnati ;)

Edited by willis68
Guest mustangdave
Dave did you try the mix from scratch or from the mix packet?

don't really remember...my mom made it...all I remember is my reaction..."man this is some FUNKY chili" what did you BURN?

You can buy Skyline at Krogers, I prefer Gold Star and unfortunately have to buy that online and pay for shipping..... One of the biggest things I miss about Cincinnati :D

Gold Star is pretty good. They use different onions than Skyline when you order at the restaurants. I remember the Gold Star onions being sweet. NO Gold Star's where I grew up is probably why I prefer Skyline.

My favorite was Delhi Chili, it was walking distance from the house, and right across the street from the end of the night watering hole.

don't really remember...my mom made it...all I remember is my reaction..."man this is some FUNKY chili" what did you BURN?

I would not disagree that it is some funky chili. Sounds like she made it from scratch.

I haven't tried this recipe yet but I trust the source (Cook's Country):

Cincinnati Chili

Use canned tomato sauce for this recipe—do not use jarred spaghetti sauce.

Serves 6 to 8

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

2 onions , chopped fine

1 clove garlic , minced

2 tablespoons tomato paste

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon dried oregano

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Salt

3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon allspice

2 cups low-sodium chicken broth

2 cups tomato sauce

2 tablespoons cider vinegar

2 teaspoons dark brown sugar

1 1/2 pounds 85 percent lean ground beef

1. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Cook onions until soft and browned around edges, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, oregano, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and allspice and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth, tomato sauce, vinegar, and sugar.

2. Add beef and stir to break up meat. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until chili is deep brown and slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and serve. (Chili can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months.)

Sounds like we need a TGO Chili Cook-Off.

I will try that round steak idea, HexHead. I think one of the things I'm looking for in a chili is a good texture, and you just can't achieve it with store bought ground beef. Should I look specifically for round steak, or would top round, top sirloin etc do?

Any of you guys have the chili at Longhorn's before? It's an OK chili, mostly because it's beanless and the bread they serve is great with it. Who knows of a place dishing out good chili in the middle TN area?

Guest mustangdave

i mentioned a place earlier in the thread...Judge Bean's BBQ...his COWBOY beans qualify as a nice medium chili...then he also has THE Judges Chili...and its a spincter scorcher

I have probably made a hundred gallons of chili over the years. The funny thing is that every pot has been a little different.

That is the problem you will find with GOOD chili. The technique is just as important as one's ability to improvise.

You will fine no other food with as many available substitutions. For example..

-->Meat - as long as it tastes good it will work

-->Beer, water, chicken stock, bean soup - They all are liquid so pick one

-->Bean or no beans...people who fight over this are dip###t snobs. Good is good any way you look at it

--> Cumin, paprika, garlic, salt, and onion.

There are a lot of variables. Just thowing together quality items from each category will produce good results. Just as important is the cornbread...just as simple and good. People pour heart and soul into it....it is much simpler than people make it out to be.

i mentioned a place earlier in the thread...Judge Bean's BBQ...his COWBOY beans qualify as a nice medium chili...then he also has THE Judges Chili...and its a spincter scorcher

Is he in B-wood now? I used to eat there when he was out by the Fairgrounds and when he moved downtown, and then once at Greer Stadium. I like his brisket and his beans and not much else. The Diablo Shrimp and wings and assorted tacos were disappointing.

Guest Bluemax
A lot of competition chili's have chocolate or cocoa powder in them.

This is true, my secret ingrediant is Anchovy Paste. No I'm not joking, I got the idea from a show on the Foodnetwork about a Worlds Championship Chile cookoff. I finally tried addinG about two tbs to a two quart pot of chile and it turned out great

WARNING if you have the nerve to try this don't tell anyone what your secret ingrediant is until after they have ate they will never believe yoU

This is true, my secret ingrediant is Anchovy Paste. No I'm not joking, I got the idea from a show on the Foodnetwork about a Worlds Championship Chile cookoff. I finally tried addinG about two tbs to a two quart pot of chile and it turned out great

WARNING if you have the nerve to try this don't tell anyone what your secret ingrediant is until after they have ate they will never believe yoU

Sounds good . . . I caught my limit in anchovies last year and still have some in the freezer . . .

Guest mustangdave
Is he in B-wood now? I used to eat there when he was out by the Fairgrounds and when he moved downtown, and then once at Greer Stadium. I like his brisket and his beans and not much else. The Diablo Shrimp and wings and assorted tacos were disappointing.

I knew about his place downtown(?)...12th and Porter next door to The PRAVDA on the Cumberland...we were at Brentwood Jewlers getting my christmas watch sized...and sorta glanced across the parking lot and saw this old ram-shackle hut and could smell the smoker working..decided to check it out...and GLORY BE!!! real non PORK BBQ!!! the brisket IS AWESOME...the sausage, not so much. Beef ribs are good too...been back twice since "finding" the place.

I knew about his place downtown(?)...12th and Porter next door to The PRAVDA on the Cumberland...we were at Brentwood Jewlers getting my christmas watch sized...and sorta glanced across the parking lot and saw this old ram-shackle hut and could smell the smoker working..decided to check it out...and GLORY BE!!! real non PORK BBQ!!! the brisket IS AWESOME...the sausage, not so much. Beef ribs are good too...been back twice since "finding" the place.

Well, I'm glad to hear that he's out of the Stadium. Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to check out his new location.

I haven't worked out a recipe yet but when I goto the store I buy yellow onions, fresh garlic, spicy mustard, paprika, green peppers, crushed red peppers, lean ground beef(only from a local grocery that I really trust) and rotel tomatoes. For beans I like kidney beans and pintos(can't stand pintos alone but make a good thicker chili). throw the beef, garlic, rotel tomatoes and onions in a pan and brown with the crushed red peppers. Then throw it all in a crock pot or stew pot on the stove with beans I keep some of the grease from the meat not much though and add some mustard to the beans and meat and veggies then add the paprika. As far as how long to cook it , cook it as long as you can stand it but i would say at least 1.5 hours to 2 hours.

Im not too big on hot chili I like a little spice but not too much. Like was said earlier just start throwing it in unless you are an absolute failure it should be pretty good.