Rem. 700 Long action

Norvell57

I have a older Rem. Model 700 270 that Im wanting to build into some type of Longrange tactical Varmit killing machine. What caliber should I go with? I was thinking a 7mm mag. but I dont know I dont want it to be one of those barrel burners that will break the bank every time you shoot. On my farm you can get some 500 yd. shots. I have a leupold VX3 4-14 with adjustable obj. im going to put on it.

Give me your opinon on what I need

Barrel?

Stock?

Caliber?

trigger?

here is a link to pics of my buddies gun that I want to build mine like

Welcome to Facebook | Facebook

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bsherrill

I think the big question for the caliber is are you going to reload for it or not. Then you can determine the best caliber. 500 yards is probably too far for a .223/22cal if there's any wind, so i think a 6mm/.25/6.5mm bullet would be the best. 7mm/270 is a little overkill if 500 yards is the farthest shot and the biggest critter is a varmint. This means you have several worthy options:

.243 (6mm-08)--cheapest

.25-06

.260 (6.5mm-08)

6.5x55 swede

.270 (.27-06)

less common--6.5mm-06, 6mm-06, 250 savage, 257 roberts...or you could go 243ai/260ai/whatever ai

like your friend, I want to build a custom .260 sometime-great bullets in 6.5mm give excellent down range performance--course you'd want to reload. the 25-06 is nice but is almost the same as the 270 you have. I think .243/.260 would be the cheapest to reload for b/c of lower cost brass and powder...and the 08 cases kick less than the 06 based cases.

243 has the lightest kick

as for a stock, that one looks like mcmillan a-5 (~$500)

bell and carlson has a nice medalist varmint stock for about 200

lots of barrel choices that would be good...just depends on what you want to pay. krieger,hart,pacnor,shilen,lilja,broughton

and yea jewel triggers are nice, timney works too

lots of ways to go...have fun

Guest Muttling

A varmit gun???? Anything close to .30 caliber will zip through the body with no bullet expansion.

.22-250 (my preference) or .25-06 are your best choices IMO. Not a large diameter, but some of the best "reach out n touch someone" cartridges you will ever find.

.223 and .243 are good choices as well. If you want to also take deer, I would go with the .243.

Edited by Muttling
Guest bsherrill

im pretty sure you could use the long action for just about anything and the bolt face will be the same for just about any non-magnum caliber from 243 to 30 cal

Since it is a 06 head size and a long action I would recommend the 6mm Remington. Slightly more case capacity than a 243 and a longer neck which allows you to seat bullets out further. For factory ammo there is no real difference but if you handload the 6mm has the advantage.

Since it is a 06 head size and a long action I would recommend the 6mm Remington. Slightly more case capacity than a 243 and a longer neck which allows you to seat bullets out further. For factory ammo there is no real difference but if you handload the 6mm has the advantage.

thats what kind of answer I was looking for

I have been shooting a 65 gr. horandy out of my 243 and I like it

now what kind of barrel would you recommend for a 6mm

thats what kind of answer I was looking for

I have been shooting a 65 gr. horandy out of my 243 and I like it

now what kind of barrel would you recommend for a 6mm

Tough question. I would go with a heavy barrel with a 1-10" twist so you can shoot the longer bullets. The real question is the throat leade. You kinda need to choose a bullet, or a bullet length. If you make the throat short, you will not be able to seat the longer bullets out as much to increase case capacity. If you want to shoot lighter bullets this will not matter as much. As to brand I am not sure but I would definitely want a tight chamber. I had a 40X with a match chamber that would put 10 Watson 62 grain Match bullets into one hole at 100 yards at a measured 3900 fps...of course the 40x had a 28" barrel and a 1-12" twist.

I am surprised no one has brought up getting a .308 I have a .270 and often wish I had a .308

That’s the first thing I thought of when I saw “Longrange tactical Varmit killing machine†:eek: but he wants a long action.

Edit probably doesn't have the long distance your looking for.

Why? Is he shooting more than 1000 yards? :death:

Guest bsherrill

as long as you could find reloading dies it wouldnt cost any more than the regular 6mm, but it would take longer when you get new brass cause you have to fireform the cases. it would be easier and less time consuming to reload for the regular 6mm

What I have done for deals like this is just use a 6mm neck sizer. Once the case is fire formed to the chmber, be it 6mm or 6mm Ackley Improved, you just need to size the neck to hold the bullet. I agree the 308 may be a good alternative but it doe have a lot more recoil and not quite as flat trajectory.

If I were going to try and design a super long range wildcat, something like the 7x57 necked down to 6.5 blown out like a AI cartridge would seem to be a good choice. I am sure this has been done like everything else but I don't know the name of it.

Guest Deputy dog

I personally like a 270 for long range shooting. I know you can get down to as low as a 90 grain bullit, that would work great for small game, I've used it for deer very successfully.

Edited by Deputy dog

6.5x284

140 Berger Bullet .640 BC

A 6mm with some 107s or 105s with the appropriate twist will do great as well, but I'm partial to the 6.5s One of the guys that shoots with us uses a 243 with a Nesika action. He keeps up with us to 800 yards. The gun will keep up with us much farther.

Broughton Barrels are the barrels we use to shoot out to 1000 yards. We have never had a bad one. Hart makes a good barrel, but I got a hold of one that did not do so well.

Broughton Rifle Barrels by North Manufacturing Co., Inc.

Leupold custom shop will put a custom radical that matches your bullets ballistics. It is free in some scopes, about $35 for others, if you order the scope from Leupold. What ever caliber you choose shoot it first, Get a good load, and chronograph it. Send the information to Leupold and they will set you up. With that and a rangefinder all you will have to worry about is wind and temperature variation. They will only run you out to 500 yds, but that's your limit so you're good to go. They will put turret with drop compensation on them, but It not easy to use in a stressful situation.

https://customshop.leupold.com/custom_shop.php

As for stocks I have used laminates and synthetics. McMillan is a good stock, but it is not cheap. An HS or a good Hogue will shoot just as well.

Don't skimp on the optics and the mounts. You also don't have to shell out 2000+ to do what you want to do. I use a 4.5x14. The other guys use 20 and 25 power, but the more power you have the less field of view and shooting critters is a lot different then shooting targets.

I have a 700 long action in .270. Don't have any recommendation on chambering, but get the Jewell trigger. Best trigger I have on any of my rifles. Came factory set at 1lb., no creep, and no overtravel. May have to Dremel the inside of the stock some to make room for the safety mechanism.