New here, should I stick around or not?

Guest peacexxl

Guest Bluemax
Thanks, guys. I think I'll stick around for a while. Just so you know, I am by no means thin skinned, but figured it would be smart to know the prevailing attitude of the forum before I committed to being a regular.

I appreciate what you did, David but I am not looking to censor any either. Let an ass be an ass. I am now convinced that there is more to this forum than what I initially saw.

Hang around Peacexxl, The vast majority of folks on this forum will be glad to have you both for any input you may have but also to help with any questions you would like to ask. As for Memphis...I spend a lot of time there, the company I have worked for around 16 years now is located at 710 S 4th St, so I have seen my share of good, bad and razor wire. Memphis is a nice place as long as you use common sense. There are good and bad places in all cities and this applies to Memphis as well. Again please hang around you may learn something and we may learn some things from you as well

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, guys. I think I'll stick around for a while. Just so you know, I am by no means thin skinned, but figured it would be smart to know the prevailing attitude of the forum before I committed to being a regular.

I appreciate what you did, David but I am not looking to censor any either. Let an ass be an ass. I am now convinced that there is more to this forum than what I initially saw.

With all due respect to the dissenting voices--many of whom I respect very much--the OP made it clear that he was not looking to censor anyone. He was simply taking the temperature of the room to determine whether or not he would be welcome here. Based on some of the ridiculously ignorant posts that I have seen from time to time, I can hardly blame him.

Since we're being "realistic", we have to acknowledge that anyone looking at our little community from the outside could quite easily make some not-so-flattering judgments about our membership as a whole based on the words and actions of a select few. In consideration of the "bigger picture", David took appropriate action to distance our more sensible contributors from those who would reflect poorly on us all. I don't call that pandering. I call it being a responsible, thoughtful, empathic adult. Just my :koolaid:...

Oh, and SunTzu is still a wop... :koolaid:

Guest jackdm3

"Oh, and SunTzu is still a wop... :koolaid: "

I often wondered the origin of the word. From Wiki:

"In Italy, the term "guappo" is still used, often sarcastically, to describe those young native men who really try hard to act brave, play cool, court every pretty girl, and those that are arrogant to the point of inciting a fight."

Seaslug, you nailed it!

With all due respect to the dissenting voices--many of whom I respect very much--the OP made it clear that he was not looking to censor anyone. He was simply taking the temperature of the room to determine whether or not he would be welcome here. Based on some of the ridiculously ignorant posts that I have seen from time to time, I can hardly blame him.

Since we're being "realistic", we have to acknowledge that anyone looking at our little community from the outside could quite easily make some not-so-flattering judgments about our membership as a whole based on the words and actions of a select few. In consideration of the "bigger picture", David took appropriate action to distance our more sensible contributors from those who would reflect poorly on us all. I don't call that pandering. I call it being a responsible, thoughtful, empathic adult. Just my :koolaid:...

Hear, Hear !! :koolaid:

Guest SUNTZU

"In Italy, the term "guappo" is still used, often sarcastically, to describe those young native men who really try hard to act brave, play cool, court every pretty girl, and those that are arrogant to the point of inciting a fight."

Seaslug, you nailed it!

With Out Papers...you racist bass turds. :koolaid:

Guest jackdm3

Urban Dictionary (Another one you can discredit):

(n) a racial slur for an Italian or person of Italian heritage. It is often said that this term comes from "With Out Papers" or "Working On Pavement," but it actually comes from the Italian word "guappo", meaning a swaggerer, pimp, or ruffian.

Now THAT is Pimp!

Seaslug, you nailed it!

Guappo is portuguese of spanish or something means "good looking" too.

So that is a misnomer for SUNTZU. But I would go as far as saying he is a Pimp.

I always thought wop came from the sound a flat tire makes when on an eyetalian car. Wop wop wop wop wop... as the driver comes to a stop.

Guest SUNTZU
Guappo is portuguese of spanish or something means "good looking" too.

So that is a misnomer for SUNTZU. But I would go as far as saying he is a Pimp.

I always thought wop came from the sound a flat tire makes when on an eyetalian car. Wop wop wop wop wop... as the driver comes to a stop.

And the horn goes Honkey, honkey!

Guest SUNTZU
Urban Dictionary (Another one you can discredit):

(n) a racial slur for an Italian or person of Italian heritage. It is often said that this term comes from "With Out Papers" or "Working On Pavement," but it actually comes from the Italian word "guappo", meaning a swaggerer, pimp, or ruffian.

Now THAT is Pimp!

1. wop 1591 up, 514 downthumbsup.gif?1262821435thumbsdown.gif?1262821435 buy wop mugs, tshirts and magnets

An epithet used for those of Italian descent. WOP stands for WithOut Papers. Many Italian immigrants had no papers to identify themselves and were branded as WOPs.

Numbah Juan at Urban Dictionary

I really don't care. I'm an American.

Guest jackdm3

"I really don't care. I'm an American. "

Now that's what I like to hear! Don't take any guff from those swine. I'd post a video, but David don't like it.

Guest Caveman

Oh, and SunTzu is still a wop... :usa:

:stunned::blah::screwy: your logic is flawed :panic::blah::panic:

Oh, and Suntzu is still a wop...:koolaid:

Oh, and SunTzu is still a wop... :koolaid:

I agree. The OP wasn't asking for anything to be changed here. In short he was asking if the majority of the members here were racist, to which we all basically replied in a round about way "no". I do have to wonder if the OP is signed up on many other forums, because if so he would have already known that you have one or two here or there that will make those kinda comments.

He would also know that the only thing he really has to fear is that he will be accepted by the community, fit in well, and become friends with members there. That's when the real insulting and offending comments begin. :stunned:

He would also know that the only thing he really has to fear is that he will be accepted by the community, fit in well, and become friends with members there. That's when the real insulting and offending comments begin. :koolaid:

This made me laugh out loud (LOL as the kids say) :koolaid:

Guest Caveman
What a bunch of back patting BS in this thread. David you seriously altered a text entry because 1 guy pops up and is like "Hi I'm black, I'd like to stay on your forum if you placate me."?

Where was all the outrage in other threads by all you posters who called people "stupid" and "ignorant"? Oh yea...it wasn't there because you don't really care.

If the Memphis Africa conjunction offends you I think you need to get thicker skin and quit whining. I live and work with some of the worst Mogadishu on the Mississippi has to offer and I know black people who use all the terms that get spit out here.

8 pages of complete and total pandering.

Its about time someone quit kissing a$$ in this thread.

Just like everywhere else. I am not a racist, but I live among them. You aren't going to find a utopia. It's all about the data. You will find that your ideas will be challenged. To me, it's all about the sport, and the fact that the perpetrator that wants to bring deadly violence ceases to be a productive human being, and for that moment, becomes a silhouette. The color of these criminals is irrelevant.

Being bogged down in racism does nothing but clouds the judgment and distracts during that moment that we train for, when we need clarity of thought. This is the moment of truth, and that's really why most of us are here. We want our guns to be legal and encouraged with no hassle from the law, to carry without being shunned or labeled as a sociopath, and especially for the gun to work without having to think about it or unnecessarily exert oursleves. Because at the end of the fight, when the victor is standing, we want the victor to be righteous. Hopefully you can find this kind of intel here on this board.

good post.