Reloading for the Garand

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was so excited about my new M1 purchase that I was on my way to the range with a box of commercial 30-06. I'm glad that I stopped to lurk around the forums before I went. I read that the pressures/burn rates of todays loads are much different, so I didn't go shooting that day. That info saved me from bending the op rod.

So my suggestion is to search as many sites as possible.

I found that the Remington LR primers worked fine, no slam fires. I'm hesitant to use the softer Winchester LR because of potential slam fires. If I'm incorrect about this, someone please correct me.

By the end of my first day firing, I was keeping all the shots inside a 12" plate at 100yds.

Have fun and get to a long range.

There is a wonderful mid 1980's publication in American Riflemen on the subject of reloading for the Garand. It has pretty much become gospel for the reloader.

I settled on 4064 powder using CCI large rifle primers based upon the above article. You should be able to find it easily on the web.

Anybody got any tips for a new Garand owner? Powder type/loads, primers and bullets? I have heard (maybe incorrectly) to NOT use regular large rifle primers due to potential slam firing. Any truth to that?

Thanks for the help!

on the slam fires,.. the only one I saw involved single loading without a clip yes clip not magazine.. the safe way to single load is to,and this takes some practice is to load in an empty clip then reach down with thumb and depress follower the clip will hold the bolt back, insert 1 or more rounds then depress clip and ammo as normal if it were an 8 rounder then get your thumb out of the way.. the clip slows the bolt as the single round is fed in which helps avoid slam fire they also make a SLED or Single Loading Enhancement Device

Fulton Armory FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions here is some good info to wander through..

I use IMR 4895 and a 147 or 150 fmj I have never had a problem with Winchester primers and remember to keep brass trimmed to prevent jamming and possible pressure spikes..

Enjoy your part of history and maybe someday we could get a bunch of these old warhorses together for a "mad minute"

John