Lane Kiffin leaving U.T. !!!!

FUJIMO

geez, the guy took a job here, he did not marry the place.

If USC was his dream job he has every reason to move on and take it.

If my dream job came calling I would be outta here in a second as I guess pretty much everyone on this board would be. Just because he is a football coach does not allow us to hold him to different standards. The coaching position is a job, nothing more. He owed no one any more than the buyout clause in his contract.

UT football will survive.

Expecting someone to stay because of a perceived loyalty to a public institution is just naive.

You sir are.......correct.

I was hoping Kiffin would stay around, I thought, once a top QB was recruited and given a year or so, they had a shot to win it all.

I would bet if an NFL team comes a court'n in the future, ole Kiffin' would bolt again.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expecting someone to stay because of a perceived loyalty to a public institution is just naive.

As a Bama fan who suffered through many UT fans laughing hysterically at fRan leaving us high and dry in 2002, this is enjoyable.

That being said, what Lane did is more than a business move - he recruited kids to come play for him, made promises, etc and has left them hanging. Some / many of those kids / young men wouldn't be there were it not for LK. Not only that, it's only three weeks until NSD, and UT's recruiting will likely be in the toilet after this move unless they can come up with a 'miracle hire'.

When you coach at a school like UT (or any other major university that makes tons off athletics) there's more to it than 'taking another job' - his actions will have a diret affect on LOTS of folks and will likely hurt the university's earnings over the next few years considerably.

I agree with your sentiment, in general, but what he did here, especially the timing, is pretty low.

As a Bama fan who suffered through many UT fans laughing hysterically at fRan leaving us high and dry in 2002, this is enjoyable.

That being said, what Lane did is more than a business move - he recruited kids to come play for him, made promises, etc and has left them hanging. Some / many of those kids / young men wouldn't be there were it not for LK. Not only that, it's only three weeks until NSD, and UT's recruiting will likely be in the toilet after this move unless they can come up with a 'miracle hire'.

When you coach at a school like UT (or any other major university that makes tons off athletics) there's more to it than 'taking another job' - his actions will have a diret affect on LOTS of folks and will likely hurt the university's earnings over the next few years considerably.

I agree with your sentiment, in general, but what he did here, especially the timing, is pretty low.

+1
Guest Sgt. Joe

Who/What do they ideally need?

Someone who would accept "Right Now" so as not to embarrass the school with multiple turn downs.

Someone for whom it would be a step UP

Someone with ties to the SEC

Someone with Head Coaching experience and some success with such

Someone who could handle the discipline problems

Someone who could recruit for UT successfully "Right Now"

I give you Sylvester Croom.........

It took just over three years for Sylvester Croom to rebuild a Mississippi State football program that was devastated by three straight losing seasons, a second NCAA probation with sanctions during the previous decade, countless student-athlete departures, all the while installing new offensive and defensive systems with a new coaching staff. With that as a backdrop, Croom was a landslide winner of Southeastern Conference Coach of the Year Award in 2007 for leading the Bulldogs to a 7-5 overall record.

Sylvester Croom - Head Football Coach - Mississippi State University Bulldogs Official Athletic Site - mstateathletics.com

IF he can re-build MS State:rolleyes: from dirt no less.....think of what he could do at UT...?

And I believe he would say yes TODAY and be in Knoxville Tonight!

But hey, there hasnt been anyone listen to me my entire life so You can probably write him off.:cool:

Who/What do they ideally need?

Someone who would accept "Right Now" so as not to embarrass the school with multiple turn downs.

Someone for whom it would be a step UP

Someone with ties to the SEC

Someone with Head Coaching experience and some success with such

Someone who could handle the discipline problems

Someone who could recruit for UT successfully "Right Now"

I give you Sylvester Croom.........

It took just over three years for Sylvester Croom to rebuild a Mississippi State football program that was devastated by three straight losing seasons, a second NCAA probation with sanctions during the previous decade, countless student-athlete departures, all the while installing new offensive and defensive systems with a new coaching staff. With that as a backdrop, Croom was a landslide winner of Southeastern Conference Coach of the Year Award in 2007 for leading the Bulldogs to a 7-5 overall record.

Sylvester Croom - Head Football Coach - Mississippi State University Bulldogs Official Athletic Site - mstateathletics.com

IF he can re-build MS State:rolleyes: from dirt no less.....think of what he could do at UT...?

And I believe he would say yes TODAY and be in Knoxville Tonight!

But hey, there hasnt been anyone listen to me my entire life so You can probably write him off.:cool:

You make some pretty good points, but I'd be surprised if they go that direction.

And I feel what you are saying. Lots of people are effected by it. Very similar to Kelly leaving UC. Of course no one at UT will shed a tear for the program they lift a coach from, and the timing will be just as bad for that place.

There really is never a good time to move on anymore. At what point is it a good time to quit? After signing day? Well you then just signed up kids and then leave them flapping in the wind. Before the season? Well that is not fair is it? Right after the season ends? So you are quitting before a bowel game. See what I mean?

It is hard to seperate business from personal when their are people involved. Fortunately or otherwise there is a lot of money at stake up and down the line in NCAA football.

The low down issue in all of this was not just that he chose to leave, as was his right, but the way it was all done. Not only did he leave the university high and dry without a coaching staff three weeks before signing day, but while he was talking to the players, the new recruits were already receiving text messages, encouraging them to follow him to USC. This was reported by players that were in the locker room. This, to me, should be cause for NCAA sanctions. He used the money, time, reputation and resources of UT to woo these recruits; he and his departing staff should not be allowed to even talk to them to take them away from this school. That is outright theft, unless they want to reimburse the university for all the money spent traveling to meet and recruit these kids. But then, neither honor nor integrity stand out as his middle name.

Patterson, Muschamp on Tennessee's list?

January, 13, 2010 Jan 13

8:48

AM CT

Email Print Share

By Richard Durrett

ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach said they should be. He says Tennessee's first call should be to Will Muschamp, the head coach-in-waiting at Texas. Muschamp has SEC pedigree as a player at Georgia and defensive coordinator at LSU and Auburn. Schlabach then writes this:

If Tennessee can't pry Muschamp away from Texas, TCU's Gary Patterson and Connecticut's Randy Edsall should be high on the Volunteers' list, too. Ole Miss' Houston Nutt would be another good choice. At least he could win with star recruiter Ed Orgeron's players again.

David Climer in The Tennessean also mentions Muschamp and Patterson as candidates the Vols should consider. He writes:

Other names that came up in the last coaching search likely will be revisited — Gary Patterson of TCU, Chris Petersen of Boise State, Tim Brewster of Minnesota, Troy Calhoun of Air Force and Texas defensive coordinator and head coach-in-waiting among them.

Again, when a big job comes up, you should expect to see Muschamp, Patterson and Petersen's names attached to it. Climer also threw out the name of Jon Gruden as a possibility. This is another one of those "top jobs" that all three would have to consider if offered. It's a solid SEC school with a ton of tradition, despite some off-the-field issues of the past season.

If you were Tennessee, who would you hire?

I listened to the UT AD's press conference.

He had approached Kiffen this past Saturday about whether or not Kiffen would be interested in the job. Kiffen said yes he would have interest.

So it was no submarine job anyway. Hamilton had a good idea of what was going to happen.