New Proposed Gun Show Law Banning Private Sales HB 2422 By Hardaway (TN Legislature)

Goodman Show -Nashville Fairgrounds started this at his last show all sales in show

must go through background, some of the private sellers packed up tables and left.

People walkng floor were also told this is new policy for them also. Do not know if it was enforced.

I have no problem with Goodman banning people from setting up tables for the simple reason that I always saw the same idiots doing it. You cannot tell me that they are selling "personal firearms" all the time. They were consistently at every show. It was obvious that they should be considered in the business of selling firearms, not the hobby.

Now walkers (except for the two or three I used to see at all the shows that worked together such as the short, fetal alcohol looking tard that had the camo'd AK's all the time and the skinny older guy with the scraggly goatee anf filthy black baseball cap with about 6 pistols stuck in his belt) are usually just regular joes trying to wheel and deal for a new boomstick and should be able to do it at will.

Oh well. Do the transactions outside the building where Goodman can't say anything about it. Inside the building Goodman can do what he wants. It's his show.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're preaching to the choir... A large chunk of our state laws are clearly unconstitutional under the state constitution....

But somebody can use some seriously messed up logic to argue that possession is a form of wearing... But sale of is in no way shape or form a type of wearing...

The problem is that we (the general public) won't hold our legislators to getting rid of these constitutional laws.

Frankly IMHO it's time to amendment the state constitution and take away that last part.

Perhaps...

IMO several of the firearms laws violate the TN constitution.

How about 39-17-1307 that says the possession of a firearm is illegal, period!

It is only 39-17-1308 that provides for certain defenses to possession, such as being in your home or that is unloaded.

Should one really need a defense to just possession in your home (nothing to do with the bearing or arms) if the TN Constitution is supposed see keeping arms as a right?

Goodman Show -Nashville Fairgrounds started this at his last show all sales in show

must go through background, some of the private sellers packed up tables and left.

People walkng floor were also told this is new policy for them also. Do not know if it was enforced.

It's good to know which gun shows to avoid... The management of a gun show knows better, and all hcp holders should boycott the show and any business which buys a booth at the show. (If it's correct they are requiring FFL transfers for all firearms sold at the show, even if not required by law)

Edited by JayC
It's good to know which gun shows to avoid... The management of a gun show knows better, and all hcp holders should boycott the show and any business which buys a booth at the show. (If it's correct they are requiring FFL transfers for all firearms sold at the show, even if not required by law)

If buyers and sellers would boycott the show, then maybe he would get the hint.....

And hopefully he doesn't start that bs that Bob Pope started about being a "member" of a club and that gunshows are "club meetings".

Guest Traumaslave
If buyers and sellers would boycott the show, then maybe he would get the hint.....

And hopefully he doesn't start that bs that Bob Pope started about being a "member" of a club and that gunshows are "club meetings".

Call it a meeting and you avoid "show" status.

Goodman is no idiot. He runs shows all over the midwest. When Cincinnati voted in an Assault Weapons Ban, he moved his shows 1 mile north of the city. He will do what he needs to do to pay the bills. Repeat table sellers at shows who aren't licensed draw too much attention from the ATF. Something the Bill doesn't want or need. I can't blame him for that. Now the walkers on the other hand should be free to sell.

It has everything to do with it. When the federal govt breaks or bends the rules it sets a president that it's ok. Noone cares about the constitution state or federal sir. If they did we wouldn't be paying income tax to the federal govt.

Bottom line if the federal govt thinks it's a good idea it will happen. If not they hang mandates over the states head until it does. Nothing to do with it? Respectfully I disagree.

I don't disagree with what you are saying necessarily.

I'm just saying I'm not sure if that has anything to do directly with this state bill being introduced. Or with the discussion as to whether the bill violated the state constitution.

The 'club meeting' is a good loop hole, and if done right doesn't bother me... Even more so if it frees up the 'restrictions' on people attending or the operator of the gun show... All that is is a paperwork shuffle by the organizer... doesn't increase my taxes (FFL transfer fees and TICS background checks for private sales)...

Also, it does have some advantages... private membership list generally require a higher standard of privacy from judges than lists of businesses...

What Goodman (if true) is doing crossing the line IMHO.. And unlike a scared little sheep he knows better. If this is true the sooner he's out of business the better in my book.

The 'club meeting' is a good loop hole, and if done right doesn't bother me... Even more so if it frees up the 'restrictions' on people attending or the operator of the gun show... All that is is a paperwork shuffle by the organizer... doesn't increase my taxes (FFL transfer fees and TICS background checks for private sales)...

Also, it does have some advantages... private membership list generally require a higher standard of privacy from judges than lists of businesses...

What Goodman (if true) is doing crossing the line IMHO.. And unlike a scared little sheep he knows better. If this is true the sooner he's out of business the better in my book.

After going through the one Bob Pope did, I can tell you it changed nothing but put money in Pope's pocket by feeding on fears that gun shows would be shut down.

If a law somehow got passed that banned gun shows, a meeting type club would have merit. Otherwise it is just predatory.

I guess he feels like this will somehow keep bad guys from getting guns because background checks are not done in private transactions. Silly. If Billy Bob wants to buy a gun without a background check all he has to do is talk to the guy behind the booth or the guy standing next to him at the booth and say.....hey man, I want to buy a gun, you have any? Why yes Billy Bob, I sure do. Okay man, lets go out to your car(where the guns for sale are in the trunk), drive down the road to an empty parking lot and we make make the transaction there. Oh yea...write me out a quick Bill of Sale man. TRANSACTION DONE. You didn't stop a damn thing. Silly.

So, will folks buying beef jerky from the jerky booth need a background check?

Seriously, though, I wish I could find some of these gunshow 'deals' on firearms that folks talk about. I got some pretty good deals on used reloading equipment from a private seller but the private sale firearms I have seen all seem to be just about as overpriced as the dealers who show up there. In fact, the only decent firearms deals I have gotten at any of the gunshows I have attended in this area were on 'as is' firearms from a dealer at the show at the Maryville National Guard armory. Even with the background check fee and taxes, my favorite LGS generally has better prices on used firearms than I see at gun shows - and if I buy there I can get things on layaway.

That said, I still oppose attempts to interfere in private sales of firearms. If an individual wants to buy a firearm from another individual at an inflated price, that is their business. The government needs to stay out of it.

Edited by JAB

I was at the last Goodman Gun Show and saw, read or was told nothing about FTF sales requiring a background check. However, everyone was given a yellow card stating that if selling FTF, each party was to ensure that all involved were residents of the state of TN, No straw purchases, etc.....but nothing about a background check among private individuals. Didn't notice any empty tables either, and I am unaware if private sellers who rented a table were told to conduct background checks, but if they were, it didn't cause anyone to leave that I noticed. In fact this last show was one of the busiest shows I've seen at the Fairgrounds.

I just want to take a minute to address the hatred towards Memphis.

I have lived here my entire 27 years of existence and my father lived here for the entire 51 years of his. While I might not agree with everything that goes on in this city, I am a proud Memphian and a proud Tennessean. I know that Memphis is not in great shape and since I have been old enough to know, I have been doing everything in my power to help to change this city. I am not alone either. There are plenty more like me. However, the biggest problem lies in the people who give up and move. If half of the people that moved because they didn't like what was happening had chosen stay, we would have the power to change things for the better.

I just want to take a minute to address the hatred towards Memphis.

I have lived here my entire 27 years of existence and my father lived here for the entire 51 years of his. While I might not agree with everything that goes on in this city, I am a proud Memphian and a proud Tennessean. I know that Memphis is not in great shape and since I have been old enough to know, I have been doing everything in my power to help to change this city. I am not alone either. There are plenty more like me. However, the biggest problem lies in the people who give up and move. If half of the people that moved because they didn't like what was happening had chosen stay, we would have the power to change things for the better.

:screwy:

Guest faust921

This is the same G.A. Hardaway who investigated by the Tennessee Registry of Election Finance for failure to timely file a 2007 mid-year supplemental campaign financial disclosure report. He also seems to have an obsession with locksmith regulation. These are the bills he is sponsoring

Of particular interest is

HB0002 - reduces judicial discretion in child custody hearings

HB0057-

HB0123

HB0129 (human rights training for highway departments)

HB0476 anti-LE "make a run-for-the-boarder-law"

HB1139 "anti-working mom's law" (strippers)

It's time we work this guy over on every bill he introduces. Here are all the bills he is sponsoring:

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/sponsorlist/default.aspx?ID=H920

Please contact your State Representatives and urge them to vote NO on HB2422.

this is a link that shows all of our representitives and how they stand on 2nd amendment issues

http://www.votesmart.org/issue_rating_detail.php?r_id=4259&sort=currentdistrict&rtype=

Edited by faust921

Yep and introducing some of this craziness happens every year. Henri Brooks used to introduce a bill every year that would outlaw any bullet that deformed or misshaped in any way upon impact of its target. There has been lots of good stuff like that.