M1911A1 Colt Automatic Pistol

Guest mustangdave

Guest mustangdave

Ok guys...I've been reading all your range reports on this weapon. My experience is solely with US Navy issue 45's. I really like these babies...wanna include one in the arsenol:D We have Taurus, SIG, Auto Ordnance, Rock Island, Springfield, COLT, Kimber, Para Ordnance...and who knows who else making these babies now...If they are all manufactured to MILSPEC...why the wide diversity in prices, Why did you pick the brand you did,

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fit, finish, and 10 year old Filipinos determines price. I have a Colt, and the blue is not what it used to be. I've seen worse on the lower end 1911's.

EDIT: Yes, I know I'm a smartass!

That makes as much sense in the pricing variations as an explanation anything else.:D

I've got an older Colt Officers model 4", a S&W micro 945 3.25', an SA Champion Operator 4'' and an Auto Ordnance 5''. Bought each at the time because the price was right and the fever was upon me. Each has it's own character and is a good shooter. Personally, I find the SA to be my favorite and most accurate. The S&W the most troublesome with mags and ammo preferences. The Officers Model and the Auto Ord. feed just about anything and give no troubles at all.

As a novice to 1911 pistols I really can't feel justified to address any particular features and variations. I just go with what I like.

That makes as much sense in the pricing variations as an explanation anything else.:D

I've got an older Colt Officers model 4", a S&W micro 945 3.25', an SA Champion Operator 4'' and an Auto Ordnance 5''. Bought each at the time because the price was right and the fever was upon me. Each has it's own character and is a good shooter. Personally, I find the SA to be my favorite and most accurate. The S&W the most troublesome with mags and ammo preferences. The Officers Model and the Auto Ord. feed just about anything and give no troubles at all.

As a novice to 1911 pistols I really can't feel justified to address any particular features and variations. I just go with what I like.

I believe Rock Island's are made in the Philippines: hence, cheap labor.

I own from a Rock Island Tactical to Dan Wessons. I find myself shooting my .45 SA

1911 Base GI more than anything. I carried a issue 1911 in a chest rig for my first war for a long time. I guess I just got use to it. The M9 just doesn't feel right. Although it is a great pistol.

I own from a Rock Island Tactical to Dan Wessons. I find myself shooting my .45 SA

1911 Base GI more than anything. I carried a issue 1911 in a chest rig for my first war for a long time. I guess I just got use to it. The M9 just doesn't feel right. Although it is a great pistol.

The M9 and 1911 are worlds apart in feel but my M9 is one of the nicest guns I have ever shot. I am addicted to that gun. That being said, my new 1911 is my choice for carry.

I have a SA GI full size and a RIA compact. Bought the SA as my first 1911 because it was true to the old WWII army models. Price was great and I knew SA customer service was outstanding. The RIA was a chance purchase. I was in the market for a compact 1911 and a gentleman just happen to have it at a good price. Turned out to be a great shooter.

Guest Brassfountain

I had a Colt Gold Cup. Loved that gun. I could hit just about anything I pointed it at. Bought it back in the mid 70s because it had a reputation as a good shooter and was accurized at the factory meaning the slid was tighter on the frame and the trigger had been worked plus the ramp had been polished. Trigger was as smooth as snot on a glass door knob. Regret to this day having ever gotten rid of it.

Fit, finish and quality is a difference. So is whether your 25 yard pattern looks like it was shot out of a short barreled shotgun or a handgun.

Price use to be an indicator of what you could expect, but that has changed a lot. There is a lot of junk priced at $600, (these are the 1911’s that just a few years ago you could pick up for $300 or under) there are also some makers in the $1K and over range that have absolutely no reason to be there.

If you can’t shoot a tight group it is either you or the gun. You need to try to check that out before you buy. If it’s you, it doesn’t matter what you spend, but if you are a good shot you can try some out and make the determination yourself.

I’ve owned more than I can count of Colt, Kimber, S&W, and Springfield. Here’s my two cents on it.

Colt was King for many years, they aren’t anymore. They have let their quality go and I really don’t think they care if they sell to the public or not. Kimber and the high end Springfield’s are both top notch. Springfield has some junk in the bottom feeder market that Kimber and others choose not to pursue. (I’m not knocking them for that, I would guess that the bottom feeder market is the largest most profitable market there is; just that some manufactures don’t go there.) Smith & Wesson didn’t enter the 1911 game until just a few years ago. After I bought my first SW1911; I sold my Kimbers. I don’t think the S&W is that much better than the Kimber, I just think that it is at least equal, and all my other handguns are Smith & Wessons. I support them because they have taken care of me over the years.

Then you have the $2500…$3500… whatever…. category. Once you are there you will be one of two types. Either you have more money than sense and are just buying to impress, or you have the ability to operate one of these weapons with better results than with other choices (Which means you won’t be on a gun forum asking which 1911 is the best.:up:)

Guest mustangdave

Thanks for the good gouge guys...like I said, my experience is with what would be classified as a GI model...no frills model 45ACP...before the M9 usurper came along. I suppose it boils down to "you get what you pay for". I can shoot reasonably well...not a high speed operator by any means, but I did earn "SHARPSHOOTER" rifle and pistol medals. I want a weapon that can put rounds where I want em...when I want em. and I need a reliable weapon. I hear a lot about how high speed a certain brand is or isn't, that doesn't really matter at this point. Right now I have an FNP-40 and a Taurus Tracker in 357mag...both are really good shooters...I just want that 45 THUMP again.

Guest HexHead
Don't forget Remington is about to put one out.

Wonder if it will be made in Brazil like many of the SA's?

I saw pics from yesterday's media day at SHOT. Ithaca had two models, a "modern" 1911 and a mil-spec one 1911A1 like they built during WWII.

DSC09148.JPG

Depends also on the amount of shooting you plan on doing,..

Occasional range use almost anything will do ,but to an extent, you do get what you pay for so go to the store with someone who has handled several if you can they may know what to look for and can save you expensive bills down the road...used 1911s if cared for are also good to look at some are great bargains ...

Carry/HD you would want to invest in a reliable performer, this is literally a life or death decision ..

IPSC / IDPA a serious schedule of shooting high round count... you are buying a frame and slide as you will change or wear out the internals, ask any seasoned competitor, they have all sorts of "spare parts" bins..

Bullseye Accuracy,reliability,looks in that order those 10 rings are small and far away

My 1911s all fall into the IPSC category but my 5" .45 is a Gold Cup upper with a fitted NM bushing,..none have all the parts they came with..

This is the joy of a 1911 you can make it anything you want it to be but a quality frame is paramount to build any type of pistol on...then rebuild it as your needs change :screwy:

John