Help me customize my 1911

Guest Rugerman

Guest Rugerman

I have bought and owned several 1911's over the years but all of them lacked features I wanted, or had features I didn't like. So I decided I would try to find a base gun and have it customized by a good custom shop. So, I need your input. Here is what we are starting with:

SA1911.jpg

SA1911A1.jpg

Springfield Mil-Spec stainless. First off, who is the best to send it to. Certainly the Springfield custom shop is an option. Who else does wonderful work and won't take 6 months to get it back to me?

Here are my initial thoughts of exactly what I DO want.

1. I dislike the semi-polished stainless on the flat areas. I'd like the entire gun to have a nice "satin" look. How will this effect the Springfield logo and lettering already on the gun?

2. Flat mainspring housing. I HATE this arched one.

3. I don't want this gun to be TOO tight, but I'd like it to have a nice polish over of the internals to make it as SMOOTH as possible, however.

4. I'd like a commander style hammer, extended beavertail grip safety. Three hole trigger around 4-4.5 lbs with not a lot of take-up. This trigger is a bit "mushy".

5. Beautiful wood grips. I do like that Springfield Armory logo on them....but undecided for now on the grips. Must be checkered however.

Things I Do NOT Want:

1. Front slide serrations...:confused:

2. Checkered front strap. Hate them, no clue why, they just feel funny.

3. Ambi thumb safety. I AM a right hander, and hope to always be one. :D

4. New sights. For some odd reason, I LOVE the ones that are on here...

So what do you think?

What else would YOU do if it was your project?

Who should I send it to?

How long should I expect to wait?

How much of my sign on bonus should I expect to hand over for this? :eek:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was at the range at couple of weeks ago I struck up a conversation with the guy at the bench next to me, actually he started it 'cause we both had the same Savage .22, blah blah blah.

After a while he produced his Kimber (which doesn't do a whole lot for me, but 1911's do :eek:) and proceeded to demonstrate its operation.

I have no idea how to describe in technical terms how this thing worked. Basically, he carried the piece with the hammer down with the safety up (or on). When it comes time for presentation he would thumb the safety which then cocked the hammer. Ready for action. To drop the hammer you merely apply a little bit of pressure with your thumb and it "drops".

Coolest thing I have ever seen. Don't know what you call it but he said the job was done by Cylinder & Slide.

Just a thought. :confused:

When it comes time for presentation he would thumb the safety which then cocked the hammer. Ready for action. To drop the hammer you merely apply a little bit of pressure with your thumb and it "drops".

He cocked the hammer back on a 1911 by pressing down on the thumb safety? And then he fires it by pushing on the hammer? :confused:

If that is what happened; what did he say was the point of all that?

He cocked the hammer back on a 1911 by pressing down on the thumb safety? And then he fires it by pushing on the hammer? :confused:

If that is what happened; what did he say was the point of all that?

Yes. It took me a few minutes to wrap my mind around it, but I have witnesses.

I believe the point was to not carry cocked & locked. Maybe some kind of "mental" safety. There was enough tension on the hammer when pushed down that accidental discharge may not be an issue. When you produce you'll flip the safety anyway which cocks it and it's one less thing to catch on clothing or whatnot.

Honestly, I was too bewildered to listen to the whole reason for "why".

I have bought and owned several 1911's over the years but all of them lacked features I wanted, or had features I didn't like. So I decided I would try to find a base gun and have it customized by a good custom shop. So, I need your input. Here is what we are starting with:

SA1911.jpg

SA1911A1.jpg

Springfield Mil-Spec stainless. First off, who is the best to send it to. Certainly the Springfield custom shop is an option. Who else does wonderful work and won't take 6 months to get it back to me?

Here are my initial thoughts of exactly what I DO want.

1. I dislike the semi-polished stainless on the flat areas. I'd like the entire gun to have a nice "satin" look. How will this effect the Springfield logo and lettering already on the gun?

2. Flat mainspring housing. I HATE this arched one.

3. I don't want this gun to be TOO tight, but I'd like it to have a nice polish over of the internals to make it as SMOOTH as possible, however.

4. I'd like a commander style hammer, extended beavertail grip safety. Three hole trigger around 4-4.5 lbs with not a lot of take-up. This trigger is a bit "mushy".

5. Beautiful wood grips. I do like that Springfield Armory logo on them....but undecided for now on the grips. Must be checkered however.

Things I Do NOT Want:

1. Front slide serrations...:confused:

2. Checkered front strap. Hate them, no clue why, they just feel funny.

3. Ambi thumb safety. I AM a right hander, and hope to always be one. :D

4. New sights. For some odd reason, I LOVE the ones that are on here...

So what do you think?

What else would YOU do if it was your project?

Who should I send it to?

How long should I expect to wait?

How much of my sign on bonus should I expect to hand over for this? :eek:

SA shouldnt take 6 months to get it back normal turn around time is 2-3 weeks on most things. You must be thinking about taurus. They can get that combat trigger job done for ya for 145.00 at sa custom shop. Check this out.

Springfield Armory

Click on 1911 A-1 custom worksheet. They can do all kinds of junk to it. To bad it aint a loaded for 765 dollars you could turn it into a trp with the trp badging and everything.

Yes. It took me a few minutes to wrap my mind around it, but I have witnesses.

I believe the point was to not carry cocked & locked. Maybe some kind of "mental" safety. There was enough tension on the hammer when pushed down that accidental discharge may not be an issue. When you produce you'll flip the safety anyway which cocks it and it's one less thing to catch on clothing or whatnot.

Honestly, I was too bewildered to listen to the whole reason for "why".

I would be interested in seeing it or reading about it from a mechanical standpoint. A standard 1911 won’t let you engage the thumb safety without the hammer cocked. Pulling that hammer back would be a monster pull for a thumb safety lever. With what you are describing he is carrying with the hammer down on a round. Unless I’m not understanding what you are saying. :confused:

I would be interested in seeing it or reading about it from a mechanical standpoint. A standard 1911 won’t let you engage the thumb safety without the hammer cocked. Pulling that hammer back would be a monster pull for a thumb safety lever. With what you are describing he is carrying with the hammer down on a round. Unless I’m not understanding what you are saying. :confused:

Check out cylinder and slide to read up on it. Yes it is C&S who makes their own unique safety system. Not on all of their 1911's mind you, but it is offered. It is different from the way it described here. It actually is tough to describe. Some like them, some don't but it is very safe.

this is just me but if you are going to have someone else do it just sell it and buy a SA Loaded saves you time and money.

+10000 sell the mil-spec and buy a Loaded if you want to customize the pistol. customizing a mil-spec or a GI is going to cost you a lot of $$$ for labor.

There are two opinions that I agree with, here, and I'll list them (and why):

Jeff at Hero Gear

Jeff did an outstanding job on a pistol for me last year. At the time, I wanted a TRP, but just didn't want to buy one and leave it alone... I spoke with Jeff, and started out with the very same gun that you have bought - a Springfield Mil-Spec. After going back and forth on a few things, I finally decided on coloring (parkerized slide over tactical grey), and a few other options, and let Jeff start his work.

This is what I started with:

Image177.jpg

This is what Jeff gave to me - a work of art, with all of the fixings - I added my own grips, and I was ready to go:

Springfield1.jpg

Springfield11.jpg

Springfield2.jpg

Is it badass? Yup. Does it get the job done? Yup. Is it accurate and reliable? Yup. Does it draw alot of attention and drools, from whomever shoots it? Yup. Was it expensive? Yup, but worth it.

It all boils down to what you really want to do - you will spend some good money on building a 1911 the way that you *want* it, but it'll be YOUR gun, if you know what I mean. Am I proud as hell of my "Jeff Gun" - you bet - I love it.

The Springfield Loaded

This is a very viable alternative - and you've getting ALOT of gun for the money, and a custom flare at that. You'll get a good barrel, trigger, grip safety, etc... and also get a quality-built gun with a lifetime warranty. You'll also spend right around $850.00 - $1000.00, and be done with it.

Here is what you can look forward to, should you decided to sell your Mil-Spec and purchase a Loaded (some very fine guns, indeed).

My favorite - black stainless (pictures do not do it justice)

N553522.jpg

Stainless Loaded

SpringfieldStainless5in1911-A1.jpg

Stainless Reversed

springfield-armory-loaded-1911-pistol-target.jpg

There are a ton of options in color (and aftermarket) in store for you, whether you do a Mil-Spec, or a Loaded... but in your case, you're going to definitely want to get an estimate and talk to your gunsmith (whomever you decide to speak with) and see where you'll be after you pop down the "OK", as far as funds owed, etc.

Guest Rugerman

Thanks for all of the opinions and input. I want to customize this gun. I have owned a loaded before. I will give Jeff a call. I talked to springfields custom shop this morning and may send it there.

Guest Rugerman

Turnaround time for Springfield's Custom Shop is looking to be 6-8 weeks, and they will do everything I ask. Price isn't going to be nearly as bad as I was thinking and I will have a nice gun built to my liking.

I called HeroGear and Jeff is out today, but will be calling as soon as they open tomorrow to discuss with him what we can do. I'd really prefer to keep the business with a smaller company like Hero Gear rather than springfield. I also feel like the gun may get more personal attention. We shall see in the morning!

I just got an email from deb else from the custom shop this morning. They recieved my xd from the repair shop on 1-28-10 after the repair shop had it for seven days. Deb advised me that my combat trigger job and barrel refitting would be finished by the next week or so and my pistol sent out. She said it typically is a 6-8 week turn around time but that they are not to busy this week.

Below is an excerpt of the email.

Estimated turnaround time for this type of work is normally approx. 6 weeks from receipt of the pistol. It should be complete within the next week or so.

Deb

Custom Shop Coordinator

Springfield Custom

420 West Main St.

Geneseo, IL 61254

800-617-6751

customshop@springfield-armory.com