Got pulled over tonight.

Guest clsutton21

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I'm hoping Alpha7 was joking. Some people work the night shift too. At times when I have done so, I sometimes left work hungry. I don't need to be harassed just because I want a 7 layer burrito at 2AM. I mean a man's gotta eat!

Yup, that's true. I know that if I have the 7-layer burrito at 2AM I'm going to have enough harassment to deal with from that alone, sometimes before I can get home!B)

It really sucks you had that experience with local LEO.I couldnt find anything bad to say about the Washington County Officers I have delt with.These guys talk to me as if we are old friends,no big bad law man egos here.I havent been on the wrong side either.

Response time is about 2 minutes after you hang up the phone and they wave at you when driving past the house or passing down the road.I had a problem with a door alarm contact that made my alarm go off 4 or 5 times a day for 2 days,each time they went to my house and left a card.I called the alarm company and had the one contact disarmed,I never received a bill for all the false alarms.In Texas I would have got a 75.00 bill for each false alarm.

The community station they have is old and small now that Im thinking about it.Tomorrow Im going to see if they could use a new flat screen tv or something.

Guest clsutton21

Got my letter and this is what it says:

Mr. Sutton,

I was provided with a copy of the complaint you sent to the Herald Citizen regarding your contact with one of our officers. Unfortunately there is not enough detail in your complaint for us to identify the officer or incident. If you are interested in pursuing this matter further I will assist you in filing a formal complaint. Our department is constantly striving to improve as we serve the citizens of our community. You may contact me at the telephone number below or come by the station to discuss this matter in person. I look forward to assisting you in the resolving this problem.

Captain David Dukes

Administrative Services Division

Cookeville Police Department

You know, I'm sure there are 100's of 6'1" blond haired, blue eyed, skinny LEO's that called in a K9 unit at 2:15am on that particular night. It's almost pointless to even try.

You know, I'm sure there are 100's of 6'1" blond haired, blue eyed, skinny LEO's that called in a K9 unit at 2:15am on that particular night. It's almost pointless to even try.

That sounds about like the way they do business. Personally if I had written the letter and got this kinda response I would definately take him up on the offer of ...

If you are interested in pursuing this matter further I will assist you in filing a formal complaint.

They have records and know exactly who it was that stopped you that night, no matter what kinda run around he wants to give you.

Out of all my dealings with LEO's I can say that I've only really had a couple of bad experiences where they tried to act like they had more power than they actually do. In one situation, my cousin and I were stopped on night talking in a local parking lot. In this area I do know that loitering is not allowed in most places, but since we were only going to be there for a second I didn't really see that it hurt anything. The cop pulled up and began questioning whether we were drinking or not, and then walked about 50 yards to the ditch and picked up a half empty beer bottle. It was obvious it had been there a while, the label was even faded, but he chose to hand it to my cousin and make him pour it out as if he had been drinking it. Then he continued to question us and make comments about smelling alcohol, until my cousin finally had enough of it and in a rude way pointed out that he had just poured that beer he handed him out right where we were standing. After making us stand there and loiter for about 30 minutes longer than we would have to start with, he finally let us go. However, my uncle did not take kindly to an officer handing his 17 year old son a beer, and there was definately a complaint filed in that case.

The other was a similar situation, because I was talking to a buddy of mine that owns a body shop here in town one night after they had closed. A LEO pulled up and started making threats about how we had 5 minutes to get out of the parking lot before he came back and started writing tickets. We were leaving, and would have most likely been out of the parking lot in that amount of time had he not stopped by. With this though, we had no choice but to continue to stand there and wait for him to come back. When he returned, he was mad and got out with the intent to be a smart a$$. My buddy let him speak his peace and act like he was going to write tickets, then handed him his ID and pointed out the fact that the name on the ID matched the name on the body shop sign, so he better make sure he knows who he's talking to before he pulls back in that parking lot.

It's just always funny to me to watch some LEO's when they think they have more power than they actually do.

Actually I'd go down and talk with them for sure. They have to have a call record I would think I also think if you talked to him in person you could give/clarify more details. If you felt you were treated wrongly then you should pursue talking to the Capt.

Guest clsutton21
I learned long ago not to argue with a cop. You probably won't like the result - I didn't. There's better ways to do things.

I didn't argue. I just have a backbone and let him know that I won't stand for him know it's not right to call out an entire county by that. We didn't do anything wrong, so I had no need to whimper down and cower in fear.

I have a question that maybe someone can answer.When I took my carry training course I was told that if and when I was ever pulled over I was to tell the office that I had a carry permit and was carrying but no one ask if you had to turn over your gun if ask by the officer I have often wonder about what you have to do by the law

Guest Swamprunner
I have a question that maybe someone can answer.When I took my carry training course I was told that if and when I was ever pulled over I was to tell the office that I had a carry permit and was carrying but no one ask if you had to turn over your gun if ask by the officer I have often wonder about what you have to do by the law

Tennessee does not require you to self identify.

CL, sorry to hear about the runaround, I'm not surprised. I drive to Nashvegas quite frequently, and I wont even stop in Kookville if my bladder is going to burst. State DPS is yer best bet.

The law does not require you to inform an officer you are armed.

If an officer ask to see your carry permit, you must show it to them.

An officer can disarm you if he feels it is necessary for his, yours or the publics safety.

Under no circumstance would I hand over or touch the gun with out being instructed to do so.

I was pulled over in Columbia by 7 cops 13 yrs ago . Held at gun point and was told I stole my own car . DUMBASS'S

Wow, it's funny you should mention that because just about a week ago my boss got pulled over the very same way, and was told that his tag came back as stolen out of Memphis. Granted my boss is 65, and was only a block away from his business, and the tags on his truck were Maury County tags. He opted to go get a new tag so that it didn't happen again, and there they told him that the officer or dispatch must have ran the wrong tag number.

This was also Columbia PD.

Are the cops in Columbia so bored that they have to make up stuff to do?

While I admit on a statewide board that there are two post about the same dept, is a bit curious....I would say it could happen anywhere.

Sometimes tag numbers are hard to read or the wrong key can be hit on the computer.

Good for you clsutton! there is to many LEOs that got their ass kicked in high school ,and think the badge gives them the right to violate others rights. The power is given by the people we are sworn to protect.