more from the Grammar Police....

BigPoppa

here's 2 More thing's that Get on My nerve's:

it gets On my nerve's when people Capitalize random Words in the middle of a sentence and Also when they use apostrophe's When they Are not called For in the word's they are Using.

So who are you Guy's for in the Super Bowl ? The Colt's or The Saint's ?

Thank's

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Broomhead

I thank than the colt"s is gonna when not Sure tho hopefully itll bee a gud game for shore maybe mr manning will pul it out of his but to when it 4 every1

BTW, I don't like when people do not proof read or know what word they are actually trying to use. They also fail to use punctuation at all sometimes.

Guest Bronker

How do you feel about run-on sentences and the inappropriate use of punctuation some people seem to just have a random thought that goes on like a conversation they don't realize that in the documentation of conversation that one must enter punctuation so that the reader may understand where there were pauses and breaks in the conversation not sure how you feel about that but I would be curious to see what others thought about that feel free to comment below I have one more question for the OP Do You love It When the Call you big Poppa just curious

• Administrator

This was originally posted as a rule on CornerCarvers.com and it expresses my feelings on the matter quite succinctly...

Message boards are a non-verbal, written mode of communication. It is therefore incredibly important that you use correct spelling and proper grammar when composing your posts. Do not type in all CAPS, its considered shouting and in bad taste. It is also important that you plan out what you intend to say before you post it.

Until it is possible for the reader to unscrew your head and read your thoughts, these two things go a long way toward ensuring that what you meant to say and what you actually said are close approximates of one another.

oh yeah we arent so WHO cares!!!! just my honest opinion

For one, proper grammar and punctuation make it easier to read.

if u wont 2 tip like dis well is all up to u but a lut of rederz will jus skip ova yo post because we dun like haveeng to desifer it

You might have a very valid question or a lot of good information to share, but a 500 word run on sentence is very, very difficult to make any sense of.

Two, it makes the poster seem less intelligent if the entire thing is written in 'net speak'. Are you* incapable of correct grammar, or just too lazy? Do you not respect the members here on TGO enough to take an extra minute and spell check what you just wrote?

We all make mistakes, but it's just easier to interact through text when people take the time to at least attempt proper grammar.

*I wasn't calling you, brooksjr, lazy or uneducated. I was using the term in a broader sense.

For one, proper grammar and punctuation make it easier to read.

if u wont 2 tip like dis well is all up to u but a lut of rederz will jus skip ova yo post because we dun like haveeng to desifer it

You might have a very valid question or a lot of good information to share, but a 500 word run on sentence is very, very difficult to make any sense of.

Two, it makes the poster seem less intelligent if the entire thing is written in 'net speak'. Are you* incapable of correct grammar, or just too lazy? Do you not respect the members here on TGO enough to take an extra minute and spell check what you just wrote?

We all make mistakes, but it's just easier to interact through text when people take the time to at least attempt proper grammar.

*I wasn't calling you, brooksjr, lazy or uneducated. I was using the term in a broader sense.

That is a little overboard don't you think? I really don't think it matters one bit if someone missed a period or doesn't spell something right. There are probably alot of folks here that don't know proper grammer, me included. Hated english/grammer in school and still do. I read all the time but don't plan on writing a book so it doesn't affect me one little bit.

Edited by brooksjr
  • Administrator

Writing. And yes, it does matter. Like it or not, people will judge you to an extent on how well you express yourself in written form... especially on the Internet. While that in itself may not matter much, consider that your ability to use proper grammar also carry weight in the business world.

If neither of those things concern you... so be it.

Writing. And yes, it does matter. Like it or not, people will judge you to an extent on how well you express yourself in written form... especially on the Internet. While that in itself may not matter much, consider that your ability to use proper grammar also carry weight in the business world.

If neither of those things concern you... so be it.

Fixed.

I could care less what people on the internet think about me!

I could do my job and never speak. Not saying that I love my job because I don't but you can be successful without using proper grammer. I'm not saying that it's ok to purposely butcher our language but this is just a forum.

Edited by brooksjr
  • Administrator
It's the Internet not a college composition class. I can write very well when I need to. I don't really care how people post up as long as I can figure out what they are talking about.

That's all good and well but it's my forum and I'd prefer that people at least try to be somewhat coherent in the way they express themselves. It looks better for all of us when we raise the bar on the lowest common denominator.

Guest Broomhead

Bad grammar and punctuation has a tendency to make you look like you truly are some back-woods, inbred, slack-jawed, cousin-marrying buffoon rather than the well educated firearm owner that you are.