questions from new girl

Guest smturner99

Welcome, I agree with what has been said already, I might also suggest you take a look at this: http://tnmap.state.tn.us/sor/ . That's the TN sex offender search, you might want to use that.. Best thing I would do now, would be take the class, submit your paperwor since it takes time, and continue looking for a handgun that fits you and you are comfortable with..

There's a few females on this board that if you need more a gurls touch, could probably help you out.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Boomhower

More great advice here.....Since you are not cofortable with meeting (and no one can blame you for that), I would also like to see you seek perfessional instruction. As mentioned a long time ago, I believe that Coal Creek Armory who has an indoor range on site may have staff instructor's on loaction all the time, but I am not completely sure about that. Someone else will have to vouce for their abilities in instructing, as I have not dealt wtih them......and don't forget about Mike!

I think we can all agree here that your situation needs some type of protection. To what extent of protection is up to you, but you must take care of numero uno first. And that includes being mindful and very careful of all your neighbors as well. You don't want to fire off a shot in a complex only to have it go thru a neighbors house and harm one of them or their family.

Best of luck on your decisions.

I agree with steelharp.

a remington 870 shotgun with a 18 inch barrel.

and when you buy ammunition for it ask the clerk for double aught buckshot rounds. if they don't have any, ask for single aught buckshot rounds...

either type will do fine for nasty scumsucking weirdos like the one you seem to be afflicted with.

fury says a coach gun..I don't agree as its' only 2 shots..a remington 870 has more than 2 shots and is easy to operate.

Yourself and your room mate need to take things like this very seriously. If it were me, I'd file a police report and a formal complaint with my apt. complex.

Guest Verbal Kint
I agree with steelharp.

a remington 870 shotgun with a 18 inch barrel.

and when you buy ammunition for it ask the clerk for double aught buckshot rounds. if they don't have any, ask for single aught buckshot rounds...

She's stated she's looking to pick up a gun that she can carry while outside while walking her dog, out walking in general. How the hell is she going to do this with a shotgun or rifle of any type? That's not practical, at all, for the need she is wanting filled.

I've already stated a shotgun is an excellent choice for home defense, but based the OP's statements so far, she's more concerned with safety outside of her home. People are throwing out a lot of good advice, but they're straying away from her need and getting caught up on the shotgun thing.

I'd say her best bet is to purchase a handgun first, after seeking the appropriate training. She can use this outside, as well as inside her residence, effectively. Later, if she so chooses, she can add a pump gun to her wish list. IMO, her initial purchase needs to be something she can utilize at all times... and not be constrained to only being able to use it inside her apartment/house. Otherwise, she's no better off than she currently is -- carrying pepper spray -- when she's outside.

However, I do agree with you... she needs to push the issue with management, and file a police report.

Guest Verbal Kint
I missed that post verb.. *sigh* My eyes must be gettin old along with the rest of me.

you're correct.

since shes' in an apartment complex a pistol is a great idea. I'm not being facetious!

its easily employable, completely portable and with proper instruction it DEFINITELY will do the job!

Luckily I've been wearing my glasses lately. ;)

*sigh* that poor child is spooked...

I invited her to the chat channel and she skedaddled.

I can't imagine how hard it is to be a young woman in todays' world.

I Pick on Julie and amy sometimes...but those girls have guts.

I know Julie at least,usually has really good shot placement! ;)

That in itself allows me the peace of mind to go work out of state.

Guest sagebrushjim

The point about the #0 or #00 buckshot for the shotgun is "not a good idea" for an apartment envirionment... Over penetration would be a factor here... Best choice in this case would be #1 or even #4... Don't want any walls penetrated and innocent people hurt... Just my $.02 worth...

Get a pistol, practice with it. Make it a habit to have it within arms reach AT ALL TIMES. Watching the tube. Making breakfast. In the shower. In bed.

If it is farther away than you can reach, it is too far away. Dry-fire with it (practicing with it unloaded). Take it to the range when you can. Clean it. Become familiar with it; the familiar isn't frightening.

Doesn't really matter what pistol you get, as long as you are comfortable holding and firing it. There is no magic to defensive pistol shooting, no 'sure winner' you can buy, no 'gaurantee in a box'. What matters is that foremost, you have it in your hand when you need it - not in a shoebox in the top of the closet, not buried under the socks in your drawer, but in your hand. It isn't a magic talisman, it is a tool. There are pros and cons to any tool, someone who'll tell you it is the best on the market, someone who'll tell you it is junk that should never have made it to market - but they are all just tools, and pretty much all of them will perform to the skill level of the user.

Police reports, complaints to the management and so forth may be useful as background if you have to shoot someone in self defense, but don't let them give you a warm fuzzy feeling. They're just notes on a blotter, or filled out forms, and they'll do nothing for you in the crunch.

Sorry that you are reluctant to meet anyone here, as I have a selection of pistols you could try, and my wife might be able to give you some advice as well - but thats' certainly your right and choice.

My advice - sign off right now, go to the gunstore of your choice right now, and pick a pistol right now, because bad things don't schedule themselves for our convenience. Get a basic cleaning kit as well.

As a matter of record, the 38 special has done what needed doing quite often. It doesn't have a harsh recoil in most guns, and a revolver doesn't take a whole lot of training to get comfortable. Whatever you choose - do it now.

And welcome to adulthood - personal responsibility that extends to protecting yourself!

Guest Verbal Kint
*sigh* that poor child is spooked...

I invited her to the chat channel and she skedaddled.

I can't imagine how hard it is to be a young woman in todays' world.

I Pick on Julie and amy sometimes...but those girls have guts.

I know Julie at least,usually has really good shot placement! ;)

That in itself allows me the peace of mind to go work out of state.

Yeah... I've noticed that too.

No offense meant to the OP, and she has every right to be in this situation if her account is accurate, but she's very shaken up at the moment and not willing to trust anyone. Almost paranoid. But can you blame her? I'd be freaked out as well, if I was a single female with no training or equipment to defend myself... a landlord who is downplaying the issue... and friends actually stating they've seen some freak looking in my window.

There's a lot of valuable info being given... but everyone needs to ease up on the shotgun thing. Apparently she's interested in a carry weapon. Shotguns obviously don't fit that need. She's going to get information overload if people keep shooting off in different directions and debating shotgun vs handgun. Let's try to stick to one, best, avenue for a defensive weapon... which I believe is going to be a handgun at the current time... and go with that.

Weapon choice aside... she really needs training, especially in her current frame of mind. I see her getting a gun, still shaken up and not in the best rational frame of mind, and either hurting herself or some other innocent person if she gets spooked again. She's obviously not comfortable meeting anyone from here, for impromptu training, so she needs to find an professional avenue and get trained. As much as I love my own wife, there's no way I would have let her get a carry weapon without being trained to a certain level of proficiency. I've worked with her a few times, and I have no qualms with her shooting or carrying if I'm around... but she's still honestly not to the point where I feel comfortable with her going off by herself with a handgun. Only more shooting and teaching time will achieve that, IMO.

She's stated she's looking to pick up a gun that she can carry while outside while walking her dog, out walking in general. How the hell is she going to do this with a shotgun or rifle of any type? That's not practical, at all, for the need she is wanting filled.

I walk my Doberman all the time carrying a .308 panther with two extra magazines. I’ve never had anyone bother me. Why is it not practical?

Guest Verbal Kint
I walk my Doberman all the time carrying a .308 panther with two extra magazines. I’ve never had anyone bother me. Why is it not practical?

Why not just outfit her with a M240 while we're at it... perfect gun for an evening stroll with the pooch! ;)

I was raised in the south, but you guys scare me.

Guest Boomhower
There's a lot of valuable info being given...snip.....She's going to get information overload if people keep shooting off in different directions and debating

I was just going to say the same thing after I have had some time to think about it. I can remember not too long ago when I did not know very much about handguns, and guys like Elliott and Mike were blowing my brain up with information when I was asking them questions......Sarah, you've got some great information here. Review it and then go out and get your hands on some revolvers and semi-auto's in your price range. Think about each weapon you hold, the pro's and con's that you like or dis-like. Also consider which one will the cheapest to practice with if you don't see your budget changing in the next little bit. Just whatever you do, do not buy the first gun you see and do not let some buttclown behind the counter make your decision for you. I did, and now I see that I could have made way better choices than what I did in the very same price range.

Need you say more?? ;)

Guest canynracer
Yeah... I've noticed that too.

No offense meant to the OP, and she has every right to be in this situation if her account is accurate, but she's very shaken up at the moment and not willing to trust anyone. Almost paranoid. But can you blame her? I'd be freaked out as well, if I was a single female with no training or equipment to defend myself... a landlord who is downplaying the issue... and friends actually stating they've seen some freak looking in my window.

There's a lot of valuable info being given... but everyone needs to ease up on the shotgun thing. Apparently she's interested in a carry weapon. Shotguns obviously don't fit that need. She's going to get information overload if people keep shooting off in different directions and debating shotgun vs handgun. Let's try to stick to one, best, avenue for a defensive weapon... which I believe is going to be a handgun at the current time... and go with that.

Weapon choice aside... she really needs training, especially in her current frame of mind. I see her getting a gun, still shaken up and not in the best rational frame of mind, and either hurting herself or some other innocent person if she gets spooked again. She's obviously not comfortable meeting anyone from here, for impromptu training, so she needs to find an professional avenue and get trained. As much as I love my own wife, there's no way I would have let her get a carry weapon without being trained to a certain level of proficiency. I've worked with her a few times, and I have no qualms with her shooting or carrying if I'm around... but she's still honestly not to the point where I feel comfortable with her going off by herself with a handgun. Only more shooting and teaching time will achieve that, IMO.

I agree, go Verbal.

...to the OP, this is a serious situation you are in, please research and purchace the appropriate handgun, then look into getting a carry permit.

While you are waiting for the permit, take the time to learn the gun, and become proficent. I would ask that you also approach management again, and call the police. just try to get the word out and speak to some neighbors if you have any that you know.

Call your local range and ask them to help you learn the basics.

• Administrator

Come on people. Let's avoid following "party lines" and prescribing one gun over another just because we each favor something in particular. That's utterly useless advice for someone who is completely new to guns.

The reason so many different guns exist is because not everyone has the same preference, same needs or same budget. What feels good in one person's hand is not always going to feel good to the next person. And what one person can shoot accurately is not necessarily what the next person will!!! :D

My recommendation, sent privately to the original poster, is pretty much as follows...

#1.) Ignore the suggestions to get a shotgun. You're not going to walk your dog with one or drop one in your coat pocket.

#2.) Find a reputable, NRA certified firearms trainer. I recommended Austin Crow (Phantom6) as I think he is reasonably close to her.

Let that firearms trainer teach you the ins and outs out owning a firearm for self defense. Let that firearms trainer help you navigate the hundreds of handgun options out there. A good trainer can probably arrange to have several handguns available on Range Day so that you can shoot a few and get an idea of what you like and what you don't.

I swear, sometimes I think the Glock people really DO think that's the only handgun made as I've counted several posts in this thread that consisted entirely of "Buy a Glock!"

:eek:

Guest Verbal Kint
But maybe she doesn't want to shoot herself in the ass when she reholsters her gun. Did you think to ask her first?

Well that would be the best remedy to the female question "Does this gun make my butt like big?".

:D

Guest Michael 1911A1

Hi all, I think you have all given the person the best advice you could. The most sound is and will be, get proper training. Let the instructor guide her as far as firearm choices. He/she will be the one most in tune with her frame of mind and abilities. She sounds scared to death and now may not be the best time for her to buy a gun. Owning is one thing, knowing how and when to shoot are much more important.

regards,

Michael

Guns112407-1web.jpg

Maybe this will help you get some ideas.

Upper left. Smith & Wesson Model 36. That size is referred to as “J-Frames†Five shots of .38 SPL. (some models are available in .357mag.) It’s a steel frame and weighs 21 oz.

Highly concealable. It’s somewhat controllable with .38+P’s, but requires a lot of practice. That frame is available in .357mag, but in my opinion it boarders on being uncontrollable for most people; especially in an alloy frames.

Upper right. Smith and Wesson Model 66 with a 2.5†barrel. This size frame is referred to as a “K-Frameâ€. Six shots. Shoots either .38 or .357Mag. It’s stainless steel and weighs 31 oz. larger package than the J-frame but far more controllable and accurate even with .357Mag loads. These aren’t made anymore and are hard to find. (But I just found one last week on this forum.:D)

Middle left. Smith and Wesson Model 686 with a 4†barrel. This size frame is referred to as an “L-Frameâ€. Six shots. Shoots either .38 or .357Mag. It’s stainless steel and weighs 40 oz. in a 4†or 35 in a 2.5â€. This replaces the model 66 and is a little larger and heavier.

Not very concealable unless you wear a jacket. Great nightstand gun and doesn’t have any safeties to mess with. Pick it up and pull the trigger.

Middle Right. Smith and Wesson M&P 40 (Full size) 15 rounds of .40 S&W. Yes… you are into some serious firepower now. It’s a semi-auto that weighs 25 oz (empty) in the full size or 22 oz. in the compact version. The full size is not real concealable, but carries well. And 15 rounds of .40S&W is a lot of firepower in this package. The compact is much more concealable and is a popular carry gun; it’s 10 rounds.

Bottom. I just threw this in because you will see a lot of talk about the 1911. :eek: This is a Smith &Wesson stainless steel 1911. It weighs 40 oz empty. 8 rounds of .45ACP. This is the pinnacle of handgun firepower. It’s not very concealable and it’s heavy. It is the undisputed king (by most) of having the ability to make an armed assailant unable or unwilling to fire a weapon at you. The top guns in this category are highly accurate at long distance and are popular competition guns. They also come in cheap packages that are lucky to fire every time.

Not something you will want to start out with but most people that get into handguns will own at least one.

Revolvers Vs. Semi-autos. Unfortunately there is no way to practice for what your body and mind is going to go through in a deadly force situation. You need to practice a lot. The mechanics of how you practice will probably determine how you react in that situation. A semi-auto requires a lot of practice to become proficient in loading and chambering a round; especially in a high stress situation.

My wife has no interest in guns. Therefore I keep loaded revolvers around her. She knows that all she has to do is point and pull the trigger; if the gun does not fire, pull the trigger again. My semi-autos are loaded but don’t have a round chambered when they are in the house. She would not be able to use them, and as long as she has revolvers laying around; has no desire to learn. shrug.gif

Good luck finging what will work for you. thumbsup.gif

Guest Tyler Durden

Hey here's a thought! Let's all just keep heaping more and more confusion onto this poor gal to the point that she gives up looking for a handgun and buys a slingshot and bag of marbles instead! :D