Schedule of Bills being considered 2/17/10

Tennessee General Assembly Calendar

Criminal Practice and Procedure of Judiciary 2/17/10

16. *HB2718 by *Campfield. (SB3752 by *Bunch.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, provides that a certified copy of a birth certificate is not required for the issuance or renewal of a handgun carry permit. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB2718 as introduced.

21. HB1801 by *West. (*SB1615 by *Beavers.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, provides that "handgun carry permit" may be used interchangeably with "weapon carry permit" where applicable, thereby imposing any rights or duties that apply to persons with a handgun carry permit to persons who carry a lawful weapon. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB1801 as introduced.

22. HB1808 by *West, *Fincher. (*SB1620 by *Beavers.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, extends from 60 to 90 days the amount of time that a permit holder has to notify the department of safety that the holder's address has changed. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17.

The Abstract summarizes HB1808 as introduced.

23. HB1809 by *West, *Fincher. (*SB1621 by *Beavers.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, clarifies that rules concerning weapons shall be subject to review by the house and senate government operations committees. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB1809 as introduced.

24. HB1805 by *West. (*SB1619 by *Beavers.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, exempts holder of handgun carry permit from prohibition against carrying a firearm in any public park, playground, civic center, or other public recreational area or facility. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB1805 as introduced.

25. HB1806 by *West. (*SB1622 by *Beavers.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, allows non-student adult who has a permit to carry a handgun to carry gun onto school grounds if gun remains within private vehicle and is not handled by the adult or a person acting with the adult's consent. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Summary for HB1806

26. HB1807 by *West. (*SB0576 by *Jackson.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, allows person who has permit to carry a handgun to carry gun in place where alcohol is served for consumption on premises if person is not consuming alcohol or is not otherwise prohibited by posting provisions. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Summary for HB1807

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21. HB1801 by *West. (*SB1615 by *Beavers.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, provides that "handgun carry permit" may be used interchangeably with "weapon carry permit" where applicable, thereby imposing any rights or duties that apply to persons with a handgun carry permit to persons who carry a lawful weapon. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB1801 as introduced.

So what exactly does this mean? Would it allow those of us with HCP's to carry batons without getting a baton permit? Would it allow us to carry knives longer than 4" in places that ban firearms?

Matthew

So what exactly does this mean? Would it allow those of us with HCP's to carry batons without getting a baton permit? Would it allow us to carry knives longer than 4" in places that ban firearms?

Matthew

It means we can open carry AK47's and RPG's :P

Obviously joking. I don't get it either but sounds like it isn't a bad thing.

Matthew

Not sure, exactly. All I know along these lines comes from a fellow member at another forum who lives in a state that has a weapons carry permit but often goes into a neighboring state that has only a handgun carry permit (with reciprocal agreement with his state.) IIRC, the two states involved are Kansas and Missouri but I can't remember which is his home state.

Anyhow, he says that in his home state, because he has a weapons carry permit, he can legally carry a boot knife that would otherwise be illegal to carry (I assume because of blade length) but that he has to remove the knife when he travels into the neighboring state.

I guess that a 'weapons carry permit' would also apply to clubs, cudgels, etc. that may otherwise be illegal. Kind of makes sense, to me. After all, it seems kind of silly to say that you are okay to carry a concealed firearm on your person but could still get in trouble for having a blackjack in your car.

Edited by JAB

Matthew

Not really sure what it will accomplish to be honest.

Me either, since it doesn't mention what part of 39-17-13 is purports to amend.

I'd love to carry a Voyager 6" instead of my 4", if this would allow it.

- OS

23. HB1809 by *West, *Fincher. (*SB1621 by *Beavers.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, clarifies that rules concerning weapons shall be subject to review by the house and senate government operations committees. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB1809 as introduced

Wonder if this is Voldemort inspired?

- OS

Here's the entire content of HB1801:

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1351(

B), is amended by adding the following language at the end of the subsection:

"Handgun carry permit" may be used interchangeably with "weapon carry permit" in this section and any other provision of this code pertaining to handgun carry permits.

SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring it.

I wonder if this is added to dovetail with the wording used by some other states, so as to "prevent" any misunderstandings RE reciproity, etc? TN calls them HCPs - some states issue "weapons carry permits", however.

No mention of HB 2694 which was to repeal 39-17-1305 as discussed in another thread in this section.... was this bill just dropped? No support?

The status page for the bill Tennessee General Assembly Legislation doesn't show that it has been withdrawn.

My guess would be there are so many bills already on the calendar the sponsor just hasn't asked for it to be put on the calendar yet. He may also be waiting to see what happens with HB1807

Isn't 1807 the same as the bill ruled unconstitutional by that judge? They should just get behind 2694 IMHO

No. The law that was ruled unconstitutional was because of the language defining a restaurant and that someone couldn't know if a place met that definition before entering. 1807 doesn't include that language, it just makes a simple exception for a HCP holder regardless of what type of business the place is.