Taurus PT92 vs Beretta 92

graycrait

1. Does anyone have any extensive personal experience with shooting and maybe working on both of these pistols?

2. If so, how do they compare in accuracy, reliability, durability?

3. Does the frame mounted safety of the Taurus make it significant design departure than the Beretta?

4. Are the mods made through the Beretta FS significant so that side by side comparisons between it and the Taurus PT92 too different for learning purposes?

I want to get one of these to disassemble and reassemble it and possibly learn to do some action work. I would prefer a used one in either brand but they don't seem to be in a big supply on the used shelf of local gun shops. So I figure if I see a used one of either brand I had better snap it up if they are similar enough to transfer lessons learned.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a big 9mm fan and I'd love to have the Beretta. Don't be swayed by the Taurus' lower price. I've heard too many Taurus horror stories and experienced multiple failures on a friend's Taurus (albeit .40).

Ya get what you pay for, in this case.

Amen, got a Taurus ( bought used ,an cheap ) a PT745, never failed, still the only thing I trust it for is a paperweight. There QC is just :mad:. If (when) you have to send it back to be repaired, they send it back to the factory in South America !! So a quick turn-around is out of the question.

I have a Taurus that has been 100% flawless with a few hundred rounds through it... It isn't the most accurate but I love it. I have also owned a Beretta 85 FS, I never got a chance to shoot it but you could tell they make a quality weapon. It's going to have to be your call on this one.

Maybe mine is the exception to the rule, but I have had -zero- failures with my Taurus PT92. Having said that, I have both the Taurus & a Beretta 92FS in my safe, and had I the reason to grab one in an emergency, it would be the Beretta. That is one of the sweetest shooting guns I have held.

My uncle has an early Taurus PT92 that he bought new in 1991. He's probably got close to 7 or 8 thousand rounds through it. Never had any problems. On the other hand I had one that was produced in 2002 that I was a piece of :mad:. Broken extractor, hammer locked up and wouldn't cock, weak strikes. You never can tell with one. It might be better to get an old beat up one than a shiny one in the box.

They've run the 92's up to like 80,000 rounds without failure in tests with hot military ball ammo.

If it were my choice, I know which way I'd go.

Haven't shot the Taurus, probably is fine, but have shot the Beretta 92FS and it is very very slick, even gentle, feels about like shooting .22 magnum.

- OS

Amen, got a Taurus ( bought used ,an cheap ) a PT745, never failed, still the only thing I trust it for is a paperweight.

That sentence doesn't parse well. Yes, Taurus has been known to have problems, but they also make some really nice guns. I don't currently own one, but I've owned 3 over the years and they worked quite well.

Even among the Taurus bashers, usually they'll add a line of "But the models based on the Beretta designs like the PT92 and PT99 seem to work very well."

Now honestly, if I had a PT92 and an equivalent Beretta in front of me for the same price, which would I take? Well duh, the Beretta. But if the price were significantly lower I wouldn't feel poorly served by a PT92 at all.

I have a PT92 and a Beretta 92FS. As far a similarities between the guns, they are for the most part identical. The frame safety vs slide safety are going to change things a bit, but with the slides off, you'll be able to pick out the same parts doing the same things.

I will add that if you don't HAVE to remove the slide safety parts from the Beretta, then DON'T. It's just not a fun experience putting them back together.

Mac

During my first go around of collecting handguns in the late 80's and early 90's, I had about a dozen handguns, two of which were a Beretta 92 and a Taurus PT 92. 1993 brought the birth of my daughter and the need for money coupled with the fears of my wife regarding all the guns, I started the sell off. The last two guns were these two. It came time to make a choice which one to keep. Common sense told me to keep the Beretta purely because of brand and resale value. I really liked the frame mounted safety on the Taurus and quite frankly couldn't tell any difference between the two guns. I also liked the nice wood grips on the Taurus (which I have since replaced) so against the advice of my gun buddy whom I bought most of my guns through, I kept the Taurus. Through the next 10 years or so it was my only handgun and I have put well over 10k rounds through it. For two years straight we'd meet at Gun City at least every other Wednesday and and shoot a couple hundred rounds in the dungeon. It has always performed flawlessly with only one, I emphasize ONE stove pipe in all that time. In my opinion, this PT 92 is as good as any Beretta and I by no means am a Taurus :up: drinker. I could not say that ALL PT 92's are as good but would feel comfortable in purchasing another 92 series Taurus or recommending them. I trust this gun enough that it is kept under my bed in a Mini-vault for the wife to use if need be. It is the gun she has the most experience with and feels the most comfortable shooting for some strange reason. All this said, if you've got the money, get the Beretta, if not, get the Taurus.

IMG_2081.jpg

Edited by DavidD
can't spell
Guest Republican

Beretta is superior gun IMHO. Taurus is very close. Taurus has frame mounted safety which is much easier to activate. The frame mounted saftey make the taurus more appealing to me. If you buy used, they should cost close to the same. You cant go wrong with either.

Edited by Republican