Returning to the .45ACP fold... and handguns, in general.

Guest Verbal Kint

Guest Verbal Kint

Well... after liquidating all of my handguns over the past year, to help offset the cost of divorce fees (WELL worth it!!!), I went and bought myself a present today. Tomorrow is Valentine's Day, as well as my 32nd birthday, so I took a trip to the local gun shop.

I had been thinking about picking up another 1911... really liked the upcoming Kimber Super Carry Pro that's coming out next month or next (tentatively)... and still plan on picking up one of Hero Gear's 1911 handguns... but I walked away with a NIB Smith & Wesson M&P 45. No mag disconnect. No external thumb safety. Just simple, black, and a large hole at the end of the barrel. :)

Not as classy as a high-end 1911... but I also won't feel bad about beating the snot out of it and treating it like a $2 whore.

Next on the list are tactical tritium sights, a good holster, S&W Performance Center work, and a lot of range time.

Good to have a means of protection again! Felt pretty naked not having a firearm the past cpl months. For all the photo demanders... pics will follow soon. Until then, just picture a NIB M&P 45... with oily finger prints all over it... and some drool. lol

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker
Well... after liquidating all of my handguns over the past year, to help offset the cost of divorce fees (WELL worth it!!!), I went and bought myself a present today. Tomorrow is Valentine's Day, as well as my 32nd birthday, so I took a trip to the local gun shop.

I had been thinking about picking up another 1911... really liked the upcoming Kimber Super Carry Pro that's coming out next month or next (tentatively)... and still plan on picking up one of Hero Gear's 1911 handguns... but I walked away with a NIB Smith & Wesson M&P 45. No mag disconnect. No external thumb safety. Just simple, black, and a large hole at the end of the barrel. ;)

Not as classy as a high-end 1911... but I also won't feel bad about beating the snot out of it and treating it like a $2 whore.

Next on the list are tactical tritium sights, a good holster, S&W Performance Center work, and a lot of range time.

Good to have a means of protection again! Felt pretty naked not having a firearm the past cpl months. For all the photo demanders... pics will follow soon. Until then, just picture a NIB M&P 45... with oily finger prints all over it... and some drool. lol

For a second there, I thought we were talking about this...

Obama-Surf.jpg

Oh, and welcome back!

Congrats on the new purchase. I love my M&P as I am sure you will love yours. I don't know if you have shot one before, but if you haven't, note the following. The trigger on a new M&P is usually "gritty" until you break it in. After you shoot 300 to 400 rounds through it, the trigger improves dramatically. Good luck and happy shooting.

I had been thinking about picking up another 1911... really liked the upcoming Kimber Super Carry Pro that's coming out next month or next (tentatively)... and still plan on picking up one of Hero Gear's 1911 handguns... but I walked away with a NIB Smith & Wesson M&P 45. No mag disconnect. No external thumb safety. Just simple, black, and a large hole at the end of the barrel. :tough:

You are goning to love that 45. Once you get tired of the"mushy trigger" I can tell you where to get 1 little piece that will improve it 1000%. Take the trigger to a crisp clean break.

I've got 4 M&P's and love them.

Oh and congrats on the big D.:D

Guest BigShot
You are goning to love that 45. Once you get tired of the"mushy trigger" I can tell you where to get 1 little piece that will improve it 1000%. Take the trigger to a crisp clean break.

No kiddin... Got my attention too.

What Dat little piece??

Most ALL of those posters make that little sear a top shelf add-on.

Would LOVE to feel for myself!! :stare:

I am telling you that it is that good. But I think I'd wait for about 3 weeks before ordering, they are coming out with a striker plunger thats rounded to finish taking up the awkward feel of the trigger.

Guest Verbal Kint

Didn't get a chance to put any rounds through it yet, thanks to the awesome weather we're continuing to have up here (and no indoor range ANYWHERE near here), but I did do what any normal person would do with a 2 hr old purchase... broke out the dremel tool. ;)

That rear "beaver tail" had to go. Well... most of it at least. Wanted to leave a small portion, to safeguard against the possibility of slide bite (although I really don't think that is an issue), but removed the other hunk of plastic that S&W puts on there... and may end up removing a little more. About 5 mins of marking it and grinding it down to the rough shape, and you have what you see in the below pics. Need to pick up some 300 & 600 grit sandpaper, as well as some polishing compound today at "WallyWorld" to finish it out aesthetically.

MTAC holster is on the way... as well as some Warren Tactical 2-dot tritium sights... and a trip to the S&W Performance Center is on the burner after I put some trigger time behind her.

Thanks for the kind words and birthday wishes... appreciate that. Here are the photos:

DSC00820.jpg

DSC00821.jpg

DSC00823.jpg

DSC00824.jpg

DSC00825.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Verbal Kint

So... little bit of an update... ended up finishing the removal/polish of the "beaver tail" and it looks like it came from the factory that way (which it should have, imo). Also polished out the texturing underneath the trigger guard, where the guard meets the grip, eliminating a possible rub/irritation point (again, something I think should have came that way).

Along with the previously installed Warren 2-dot tritium sights, I purchased and installed the Massachusetts compliant trigger spring, as well as the Apex sear and striker block. All I can say is WOW! The trigger on this gun is now truly as remarkable as all the Apex Koolaid drinkers brag about! Totally new and different gun with those parts installed! Smith & Wesson needs to pay attention to this company and their products and start using these parts in their M&P handguns, instead of dropping the ball short of the end zone and shipping them how they do. :cool:

If any of you guys have reservations about trying out the Apex products in your M&Ps, do yourself a favor and just do it. The comments in this thread sparked my interest in their products, and I went out and did some more research, but I am 110% thrilled and glad that you guys recommended them to me.

So... little bit of an update... ended up finishing the removal/polish of the "beaver tail" and it looks like it came from the factory that way (which it should have, imo). Also polished out the texturing underneath the trigger guard, where the guard meets the grip, eliminating a possible rub/irritation point (again, something I think should have came that way).

Along with the previously installed Warren 2-dot tritium sights, I purchased and installed the Massachusetts compliant trigger spring, as well as the Apex sear and striker block. All I can say is WOW! The trigger on this gun is now truly as remarkable as all the Apex Koolaid drinkers brag about! Totally new and different gun with those parts installed! Smith & Wesson needs to pay attention to this company and their products and start using these parts in their M&P handguns, instead of dropping the ball short of the end zone and shipping them how they do. :ugh:

If any of you guys have reservations about trying out the Apex products in your M&Ps, do yourself a favor and just do it. The comments in this thread sparked my interest in their products, and I went out and did some more research, but I am 110% thrilled and glad that you guys recommended them to me.

I am an Apex junkie. I have the hard sear and fpb in my M&P 45 and 9mm. I hated the trigger on the 45 and wanted to get rid of the gun until I installed these parts. It's a smooth shooter now.