Interested in Mosins

dats82

So I have been seeing these things popping up, and I have run across several different models available for sell. I know nothing about these guns, and I was hoping some of you all could clue me in on any models better than others and prices on those. I guess what I am really getting at, are these worth having? Thank you for any input.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely worth having. You can find them in all conditions and models. The most common are the 91/30's.

If you find one in great condition, and there are still some minty fresh ones out there but not like they used to be, you'll pay a premium for them. The used and beat ones will be easier on the wallet and probably something you'll want to refinish (to me anyway).

Ammo is still easy to buy in bulk and overall, they are a economical way to enjoy shooting. Plus they are a part of history.

Good info on all the Mosin's here:

7.62x54r.net

So I have been seeing these things popping up, and I have run across several different models available for sell. I know nothing about these guns, and I was hoping some of you all could clue me in on any models better than others and prices on those. I guess what I am really getting at, are these worth having? Thank you for any input.

Good lord man, buy them!

The Mosin Nagant is easily the most affordable milsurp to own and shoot.

Why would you not want a gun that falls under the title of "This kicked the Nazi's ass"?

It shoot a .30 call round, specifically 7.62x54r. You can get 440 rounds to your door for 90 bucks. It is a battle rifle and accurate as any others.

By them cheap and stack them deep.

You won't regret it.

Sorry, forgot to add pricing and model.

91/30 ( it's the longer one) under 90 bucks. Maybe up to 135 at a shop or FFL at a gunshow.

Either round or hex shaped receiver. Year when it was made is basically unimportant. Get a bayonet 'cus it looks cool.

This is the one I recommend buying. So i will speak no further on models or prices.

see this thread , good stuff. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/curio-relics-black-powder/23616-more-mosin-fact.html?highlight=mosin+fact

Edited by Mike.357

I got a Mosin a few months back and I love it. I was thinking about scoping it out and using it as a hunting rifle. The 7.62.54R round is very potent, and like the previous poster said, it kicked some nazi butt back in the day. In case you didn't know deer prefer to be put down by rifles that aided in ending the 3rd Reich.

Good lord man, buy them!

The Mosin Nagant is easily the most affordable milsurp to own and shoot.

Why would you not want a gun that falls under the title of "This kicked the Nazi's ass"?

It shoot a .30 call round, specifically 7.62x54r. You can get 440 rounds to your door for 90 bucks. It is a battle rifle and accurate as any others.

By them cheap and stack them deep.

You won't regret it.

Sorry, forgot to add pricing and model.

91/30 ( it's the longer one) under 90 bucks. Maybe up to 135 at a shop or FFL at a gunshow.

Either round or hex shaped receiver. Year when it was made is basically unimportant. Get a bayonet 'cus it looks cool.

This is the one I recommend buying. So i will speak no further on models or prices.

see this thread , good stuff. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/curio-relics-black-powder/23616-more-mosin-fact.html?highlight=mosin+fact

Hey Mike where do get that ammo "440 for 90 bucks"? Thanks

Hey Mike where do get that ammo "440 for 90 bucks"? Thanks

Well 90 bucks might have been a little low,

here are a couple of places to buy for less than 90.00 before shipping

The last one should get to you for less than 100 bucks

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

Ammunition To Go : 440rds - 7.62x54R Bulgarian Military 147gr. Steel Core Ammo [AB754] - $84.95

Polish 7.62x54R 440rd Can 1950s Light Ball

Guest Broomhead

When buying a Mosin, make sure to check the numbers and get one that is all matching. Some have been electro-penciled, read cheaply engraved, in order to force match the numbers. Try to stay away from ones that don't match up to avoid potential head-space problems.

There are three main types of Mosins, the 91/30 which is a full length battle rifle with a detachable bayonet, the M44 which is a carbine-ish version of the 91/30 with a side folding bayonet, and the M38 which is another carbine-ish length rifle without a bayonet. The M38 is probably the rarest and most costly of the three, but it is my favorite.

When looking for a Mosin, be sure to check the bore for pits and rust damage, a little frosty look is normal but large pits are bad. Remove the bolt by pulling to the rear while pulling the trigger and look at the bolt face and chamber for rust and pitting as well. If you can, ask to remove the barrel to check under the wood for more possible pits and damage. You probably won't be able to until after purchased, though.

Don't worry to much on the nicks and dings of the stock, they add character to the rifle and are a part of history. Generally, the finish is a re-arsenal shellac that can be removed and refinished if so desired.

If you need any more help feel free to PM me.

I have a M24 Finnish Mosin ($60) a M44 ($110), both from private sellers; and 2 M91/30's ($80 Classic Arms and $70 SOG) All bought 2009-2010.

The $80 is a little rough outside, but has a shiny new bore. Groups tight. I plan to make this one evil and black. I'll do a thread with pictures when done.