Calling all Kimber owners!

E4 No More

Ok, so the wife and I went to On Target to do some shooting last Saturday, and when we were done I decided to check out the inventory. They had a full sized Kimber with rails for $2,000 that appeared to be quite...fancy. :D It was certainly heavier than my Colt 1911 and obviously had a hefty price tag, so I wasn't interested in that particular weapon: however, it did get me thinking about the fit, finish, feel and trigger of the Kimbers. One of the employees told me that they were getting in 10 more Kimbers shortly.

I was wondering if Kimber owners would please post up any pros and cons on the weapons? I'm a big guy with big hands, and I'm interested in the Commander and full sized weapons. I like the looks of the Raptor II's and particularly the Grand Raptor II, but I would probably prefer the fixed carry sights with the caveat that I haven't seen a bar-dot night sight.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big guy with big hands too. I love my Kimber stainless ii. It is hands down the best shooting gun I own. Very, very accurate, and the trigger is perfect for me. That said, there are a few cons that I will offer up, but cons which for me still don't stop it from being my favorite handgun.

1) The finish is very rust prone, esp. in the humid summers. The barrel is particularly susceptible. You need to always keep it very well lubed.

2) Mine was unreliable out of the box. The chamber was cut too tight, and on the last round of a mag, it would fail to feed. I found Kimber's service to be great. Within a week of sending it in, I had it back working perfectly. I've put thousands of rounds through it since, and have not had a since failure. The gun is the only one I would trust unconditionally now.

3) The Schwartz Series II safety is a hazard. The manual does warn about not depressing the grip safety when putting the slide back on the lower, but not loudly enough. There is a second problem, too. If you hold the gun upside down (which a lot of 1911 owners do to stop the link pin and guide rod from moving) the schwartz pin also will hit the slide just as if you depressed the grip safety. If you know it is there, and take the necessary precautions not to shear off the pin, then you are fine–it is a non-issue.

Like I said, those three things in consideration, the Kimber is still the best gun I own. I changed the grips, and added a curved mainspring and magwell. The gun comes stock with a cheap crappy plastic magwell. I have $1k in the gun (came w/night sights).

I just bought a Kimber Eclipse Pro ll, used. I think the gun is very accurate, doesnt have any feeding problems, I grease mine and use Wilson Combat mags. I agree with SteelHarp about price, you can buy a Springfield Loaded for less money and get the same performance. But I like the looks of the Raptor better. But I like my Kimber, even tho I havent owned it long. You'll learn those that love Kimber "LOVE THEM" those that hate Kimber "HATE THEM". Dont be suprised if you get varying opinions

Guest CrazyLincoln

I had a pro carry II. I really enjoyed it, however, I bought it used at a good price. I particularly liked the bull barrel. (You could buy a different brand and put a bull barrel on it just as easily though). Wilson Combat magazines are a must. I thoroughly enjoyed mine until a friend made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Guest BEARMAN

I own a Kimber Ultra CDP 3" with all the whistles and bells=very pricey little carry piece.

Everything about it exudes quality...except one.

The purdy little Kimber refuses to digest hollowpoint ammunition!

Does great with hardball, but that's not what should be carried for a self defense round, is it.

Guess I'll have to wait on the debut of the Hornady critical defense .45 acp ammo to hit the shelves, then hope that works.

My Springer Ultra Compact eats everything I feed it...so, guess which one gets the carry nod...yep, the SA! :D

Ok, what's a Clackamas?

Although ALL Kimber's have been built in Yonkers, NY, the company started in Clackamas, OR, and the first 6,000 or so frames were rollmarked Clackamas. This was their entrance into the 1911 fray, they were out to beat Colt, and they were excellent guns. Since then, they have somewhat rested on their laurels, and QC has suffered, prices have skyrocketed... Colt has steadily remained (after their own late '80's, early 90's debacles) a better value.

Although ALL Kimber's have been built in Yonkers, NY, the company started in Clackamas, OR, and the first 6,000 or so frames were rollmarked Clackamas. This was their entrance into the 1911 fray, they were out to beat Colt, and they were excellent guns. Since then, they have somewhat rested on their laurels, and QC has suffered, prices have skyrocketed... Colt has steadily remained (after their own late '80's, early 90's debacles) a better value.

Thanks.

I have a Colt XSE and I just haven't been too impressed with it. I've put in a Wilson hammer, sear, and 16# mainspring, but still not happy. The finish certainly isn't impressive either.

Now, the XSE line is not the best example of the Colt line, imho. The standard line is much better.

As an aside; I've never understood the deal with wanting a gun to look "pretty." Pretty is for one on display. I want a working gun to be one without an "ooh ahh" factor. I want it to work every time. That usually requires a little looseness with a semi. If it's tighter than a Swiss watch, it's liable to choke when you don't need it to.

(Think, I'd rather show off Ginger, but I want Mary Ann.)

Guest boatme99
Big guy with big hands too. I love my Kimber stainless ii. It is hands down the best shooting gun I own. Very, very accurate, and the trigger is perfect for me. That said, there are a few cons that I will offer up, but cons which for me still don't stop it from being my favorite handgun.

1) The finish is very rust prone, esp. in the humid summers. The barrel is particularly susceptible. You need to always keep it very well lubed.

2) Mine was unreliable out of the box. The chamber was cut too tight, and on the last round of a mag, it would fail to feed. I found Kimber's service to be great. Within a week of sending it in, I had it back working perfectly. I've put thousands of rounds through it since, and have not had a since failure. The gun is the only one I would trust unconditionally now.

3) The Schwartz Series II safety is a hazard. The manual does warn about not depressing the grip safety when putting the slide back on the lower, but not loudly enough. There is a second problem, too. If you hold the gun upside down (which a lot of 1911 owners do to stop the link pin and guide rod from moving) the schwartz pin also will hit the slide just as if you depressed the grip safety. If you know it is there, and take the necessary precautions not to shear off the pin, then you are fine–it is a non-issue.

Like I said, those three things in consideration, the Kimber is still the best gun I own. I changed the grips, and added a curved mainspring and magwell. The gun comes stock with a cheap crappy plastic magwell. I have $1k in the gun (came w/night sights).

Wow. Pretty long list for a "high end", expensive gun.

I think I'll stick to my Rugers, Sigs, and Bersas. Not one issue with any so far.

Now, the XSE line is not the best example of the Colt line, imho. The standard line is much better.

As an aside; I've never understood the deal with wanting a gun to look "pretty." Pretty is for one on display. I want a working gun to be one without an "ooh ahh" factor. I want it to work every time. That usually requires a little looseness with a semi. If it's tighter than a Swiss watch, it's liable to choke when you don't need it to.

(Think, I'd rather show off Ginger, but I want Mary Ann.)

My pappy used to say, "Son, it's better to have quality than quantity." I always said that I'd rather have both. ;) I want a gun that looks nice and shoots nice.

I've always said that someone was far safer 25 yards in front of me with a pistol in my hands than they were 500 yards in front of me with a rifle in my hands. The only handguns I've EVER shot remotely well was a 4" Ruger revolver and a 1911. I've owned a Sig in .45 and a Glock in .40, and I disliked them both. I have a M&P 9mm compact that I do alright with, but I likes me a 1911! So in short I want a nice looking 1911 that shoots reliably.

Guest BEARMAN
Ok, what's a Clackamas?

Heck, I didn't know either....I thought it was the sound the Missus made with her jaws, every time she found out I was contemplating a new gun purchase!

Clackamas...Clackamas...Clackamas...blah...blah...blah!!! ;)

:D

As an aside; I've never understood the deal with wanting a gun to look "pretty." Pretty is for one on display. I want a working gun to be one without an "ooh ahh" factor. I want it to work every time.

I dont understand why you cant have both? Just because a gun is nice and shiny doesnt mean it can't run like a scolded dog. I keep my guns clean and greased/oiled, they'll work, I can assure you of that.

I have had 4 Kimbers at one time or another,currently I own a TLE/RL II that is 100% reliable,the other TLE I sold to a fellow TGO member has also been the same.I used to own a Ultra CDP II that was not reliable with hollowpoints of any kind.The last one I owned was a Stainless II in .40 S&W that also was 100% reliable and very accurate to boot.The finish on the TLE/RL II is not very durable,but can be touched up with a little cold blue,these can be had for around $900.00 used and some times be found cheaper.At present I have to say I am going to keep my latest Kimber,I am very happy with it.A person can purchase a more expensive pistol and also a cheaper one,I would not hesitate to take in another Kimber,thats for sure.

IMG_0963.jpg

Edited by krunchnik
spelling

well the feed ramp HAS to be at 31 degrees or the hollowpoint rounds will nosedive. The Ultra (3") models have had reliablity problems because JM Browning desinged it on a 5" scale and with some models 3inches is just pushing the design beyond its limits. Others may have a more intelectual answere....

What's with the un-reliable feeding of the hollowpoints? For that kind of money it should feed anything. Is this something they fixed?

what I have experienced is the fact you either get a problem child or you dont,several fellas have great luck with the shorter barrel 1911's,I on the other hand didnt with that one,I ended up selling it.I carry a RIA CS-Tactical with a 3 1/2 inch barrel thats been 100%-go figure.

My daily carry is a Kimber CDP II Pro. It has run flawless ever since I pitched the original magazine and bought the Wilson's. It's very accurate. The trigger is great, no slack what so ever. It fits my large hands like it was made for me. Only thing that's a mild irratation is the safety but it wouldn't stop me from purchasing another. It's also very comfortable to carry for extended periods of time.

My daily carry is a Kimber CDP II Pro. It has run flawless ever since I pitched the original magazine and bought the Wilson's. It's very accurate. The trigger is great, no slack what so ever. It fits my large hands like it was made for me. Only thing that's a mild irratation is the safety but it wouldn't stop me from purchasing another. It's also very comfortable to carry for extended periods of time.

What's wrong with the safety?

Personally, if your thinking of dropping 2K on a 1911 there are much better options

out there than Kimber. Les Baer, Wilson, Ed Brown, just to name a few.

Do a lot of research before you put that much hard earned cash down on any firearm.

The problem is this: If I'm going to drop that kind of money on something I don't want to order it. I want to see it before buying it to see if I like it or not. Finding shops with those weapons around LaVergne would probably be a non-starter.