do you ALWAYS carry ?

Guest jcramin

Guest jcramin

I just wanted to know how many people actually carry ALL the time. Including places that are posted no carry, or places that the state of Tennessee states you can not carry ?

I know someone of you may not want to answer this and some of you may go on a rant that if it says dont then dont. And I understand thats your choice. Im just asking for everyones personal choice to carry or not even when your not supposed to.

In a good holster, carried concealed, noone will know but you anyway right ?

The reason I am asking is because I talked to someone today at lunch that is very aware of the law and should know the law in detail for many reasons and this conversation came up.

ME personally, I have never carried where the state of Tennessee says I cant carry or if any form of any sign is posted NO CARRY.

J

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I follow every instruction from the omnipotent overseers of this idyllic society at all times. I never bring evil guns anywhere that our infallible legislators say that I don't need them, and I always obey the speed limit. I am always willing and anxious to sacrifice my security, liberty and comfort for the greater good of this perfect society.

Guest EasilyObsessed

I carry everywhere but work. Since I work at Vanderbilt, and guns are prohibited...the possibility of getting caught with a gun isnt worth losing my job over.

Guest jcramin

Your right it can be seen as incriminating and you can close this thread if you like. But I guess I feel that if I say I was speeding past a school bus picking up kids with the STOP sign out in a school zone, nothing can be done about it since an officer did not see me. So if I say I carry where im not supposed to nothing can be done unless my info is given up and I am fallowed by or watched by someone next time I go someplace I shouldn't have my gun.

Please dont bash me for my personal opinion.

Guest bkelm18
Your right it can be seen as incriminating and you can close this thread if you like. But I guess I feel that if I say I was speeding past a school bus picking up kids with the STOP sign out in a school zone, nothing can be done about it since an officer did not see me. So if I say I carry where im not supposed to nothing can be done unless my info is given up and I am fallowed by or watched by someone next time I go someplace I shouldn't have my gun.

Please dont bash me for my personal opinion.

We're not bashing you by any means, we're just saying that there's a difference in saying that you disobeyed a traffic sign and saying you illegally carry a firearm where it is forbidden. One never knows in an online forum. :D

It's true... a misdemeanor must be witnessed by a police officer, or sworn testimony given by a witness for a warrant, to be prosecuted. But still, I don't like the idea of advocating illegal activity (even if the law is inane)... though I firmly believe and respect the decision of each individual to make their own choices when it comes to their security. For instance, hypothetically, if I carry into a resturaunt which serves alcohol, I still would never advise my wife to do the same while she's with me... but I wouldn't impose on her not to, either. It's simply an option which must be weighed between risk and benefit.

Guest jcramin
It's true... a misdemeanor must be witnessed by a police officer, or sworn testimony given by a witness for a warrant, to be prosecuted. But still, I don't like the idea of advocating illegal activity (even if the law is inane)... though I firmly believe and respect the decision of each individual to make their own choices when it comes to their security. For instance, hypothetically, if I carry into a resturaunt which serves alcohol, I still would never advise my wife to do the same while she's with me... but I wouldn't impose on her not to, either. It's simply an option which must be weighed between risk and benefit.

I agree 100% but as for now I have weighed the risk to be more than the benefit personally and I do not carry where I should not carry.

J

I agree 100% but as for now I have weighed the risk to be more than the benefit personally and I do not carry where I should not carry.

J

My only problem is with who decides where I shouldn't carry, and what their responsibility is to protect me while I am unarmed.

Guest jcramin
My only problem is with who decides where I shouldn't carry, and what their responsibility is to protect me while I am unarmed.

That is what was brought up at my lunch time conversation today. The person I was talking to did say if someone starts shooting up the place while your eating dinner at your on your own.

J

• Administrator

It is my understanding that there used to be a "safe harbor" provision in Tennessee gun law that basically kept you from being subject to criminal charges if you employed justified deadly force with your handgun in a location where that handgun should not have been carried to begin with.

Example: You're eating at Logan's Roadhouse and someone comes in and starts shooting the place up. You shouldn't have your own handgun with you since they serve alcohol for on-site consumption, but you smuggled it in anyway. You use your handgun to take down the killer, saving not only your own life but the lives of many others.

The law used to be such that you would not be charged with the misdemeanor offense of carrying where it was prohibited.

BUT...

It was the opinion of John Harris, esq. that the recent amendment to the Tennessee Code Annotated that more or less granted us the "must not retreat" Castle Doctrine sort of provision that we no longer have that assurance.

The new TCA statutes assert that you can only employ deadly force so long as you are not in the commission of a crime!

Since carrying where prohibited is a crime, would you still be granted safe harbor for defending yourself? Or would the Court bury you beneath the jailhouse because you were illegally carrying at that moment?

See, this is why TCA needs a serious overhaul in regard to gun laws. :D

I always carry. This is surprising since 4 years ago when I got my carry permit, I had the idea that "I wouldn't carry all of the time, only when warranted such as going downtown or other dangerous places." I am now more cynical, believing that the world is a dangerous place and "stuff" can happen anywhere anytime. I even find myself carrying around the house and yard. As far as obeying the asinine laws we are currently subjected to, I do.

Guest EasilyObsessed
I am now more cynical, believing that the world is a dangerous place and "stuff" can happen anywhere anytime. I even find myself carrying around the house and yard.

Seems like a good time to share a story that happened just a couple of weeks ago to some very good friends of the family in Clarksville.

Link here: http://www.wsmv.com/montgomery/14494598/detail.html

The article is mostly correct, but a short summary would be this:

Wife was at home all day, suspect was in the house all day hiding in the bathroom. Husband came home and suspect got scared, suspect grabbed the wife, husband saw the suspect but had left his gun in the car and went to the car for gun, wife got shot while husband was retrieving gun. Suspect pushed her to the floor and shot her virtually point blank through her hand and shoulder. Husband came in with his handgun but choose to remain by his wifes side instead of chasing the suspect. Police did catch the suspect later. She has recovered fine other than some bullet fragments in her shoulder.

They own Golden Eagle jewelry in Clarksville and both are pro-gun and live in a good neighborhood from what I remember as a kid, but it just goes to show that you can never be to careful. As an extra interesting tidbit, Elkie, who was the victim, at one point several years ago pulled a gun on someone trying to rob their store and is definitely a tough woman. I know her husband, Johnnie, always carries a firearm on him while working.

They are quite honestly two of the nicest and hardest working couples I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and this couldnt have happened to any less deserving people.

The upside to this story....My mother has now decided she needs to purchase a handgun and is enthusiast about having me take her to range :D

Wife was at home all day, suspect was in the house all day hiding in the bathroom. Husband came home and suspect got scared, suspect grabbed the wife, husband saw the suspect but had left his gun in the car and went to the car for gun, wife got shot while husband was retrieving gun. Suspect pushed her to the floor and shot her virtually point blank through her hand and shoulder. Husband came in with his handgun but choose to remain by his wifes side instead of chasing the suspect. Police did catch the suspect later. She has recovered fine other than some bullet fragments in her shoulder.

Just to show how cynical I've become, I'm always prepared for this exact scenario when I walk in the door. Make no mistake, I'd be slinging lead and the family knows to duck:eek:

The upside to this story....My mother has now decided she needs to purchase a handgun and is enthusiast about having me take her to range :D

Mine also. She and I have have an appointment this Saturday to go through the Handgun Safety Course hosted by my local police department so she too can get her permit. Though I have already been through the course and have my permit, I'm going through it once again with her. I had so much fun with the local officers last time, for $25 I figured what the heck. Now, If I could only convince the wife......

But I guess I feel that if I say I was speeding past a school bus picking up kids with the STOP sign out in a school zone, nothing can be done about it since an officer did not see me.

An officer doesn't need to see you

Blow the stop sign on my bus and if I get your plate number, I'll turn

it in to the THP and you WILL hear about it :D

JCE - Bus Driver Extraordinaire

I'm in Florence, KY (Cinci, OH area) this week for a class, I didn't carry due to the fact that the airline industry doesn't look kindly on folks carrying guns to the airport! I will be in Louisville next month, I am driving, I will be carrying.

Other than that I carry, except in places prohibited by the law.

It is my understanding that there used to be a "safe harbor" provision in Tennessee gun law that basically kept you from being subject to criminal charges if you employed justified deadly force with your handgun in a location where that handgun should not have been carried to begin with.

Example: You're eating at Logan's Roadhouse and someone comes in and starts shooting the place up. You shouldn't have your own handgun with you since they serve alcohol for on-site consumption, but you smuggled it in anyway. You use your handgun to take down the killer, saving not only your own life but the lives of many others.

The law used to be such that you would not be charged with the misdemeanor offense of carrying where it was prohibited.

BUT...

It was the opinion of John Harris, esq. that the recent amendment to the Tennessee Code Annotated that more or less granted us the "must not retreat" Castle Doctrine sort of provision that we no longer have that assurance.

The new TCA statutes assert that you can only employ deadly force so long as you are not in the commission of a crime!

Since carrying where prohibited is a crime, would you still be granted safe harbor for defending yourself? Or would the Court bury you beneath the jailhouse because you were illegally carrying at that moment?

See, this is why TCA needs a serious overhaul in regard to gun laws. :D

Hmmmm. Sounds like an inquiry with the AG might be in order.

i carry everywhere it is legal to carry, and i even carry in these "hey buddy" gas stations and liquor stores that still have the old sign posted, the warning of the $5000 fine and imprisonment for carrying where alcohol is sold. that portion of the law was changed AGES ago, so the sign is out of date and therefore that makes the sign invalid.

it is concealed, so no one knows. complaining about the signs being wrong usually backfires and then the correct signs usually end up getting posted.

The safe harbor statute is still on the books. T.C.A. 39-17-1322

It says…

39-17-1322. Defenses.

A person shall not be charged with or convicted of a violation under this part if the person possessed, displayed or employed a handgun in justifiable self-defense or in justifiable defense of another during the commission of a crime in which that person or the other person defended was a victim.

To clarify…â€this part†means Part 13, of Chapter 17, of Title 39 or bascially any law that starts T.C.A 39-17-13xx

The new Self Defense law T.C.A. 39-11-611(d)(3) says…

39-11-611. Self-defense

(d) The presumption established in subsection © shall not apply, if:

(3) Notwithstanding § 39-17-1322, the person using force is engaged in an unlawful activity or is using the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle to further an unlawful activity;

I admit, as much as I’ve been reading T.C.A. lately, I’m not sure what the “Notwithstanding†means. I do think the idea behind that part was to prevent the meth dealer from being able to shoot anyone that came around. But if it basically means T.C.A. 39-17-1322 no longer applies to any of the laws in T.C.A. 39-17-13xx then that is bad.

I 100% agree that all the laws on this need to be reworked!

On another point…

I have been deeply involved in the misdemeanor arrest debate in another thread. Basically a LEO can not arrest you or press charges on a misdemeanor if he doesn’t see you commit it. However and citizen that witnessed the violation can arrest you/press charges and then transfer custody to a LEO. So if you pass that bus…all it takes is the driver to be willing to press charges…and Hello driving school.