Change of Address?

I have recently moved. I updated my address online and it indicated that both my DL and HCP will be updated when i first started the process. At the end, it didnt give me any confirmation for the HCP. I may just be paranoid but i want to make sure that the online change of address has me covered. Will i get a new HCP and DL or a sticker to go on the back?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have recently moved. I updated my address online and it indicated that both my DL and HCP will be updated when i first started the process. At the end, it didnt give me any confirmation for the HCP. I may just be paranoid but i want to make sure that the online change of address has me covered. Will i get a new HCP and DL or a sticker to go on the back?

I don't know about DL but you don't get an updated HCP unless you go to DMV and file for a replacement (which doesn't happen on the spot).

- OS

Apparently you can change your HCP address without getting a new one.

From the State of Tennessee web site:

"To Change Your Address Without Getting a New Handgun Carry Permit

You have the option to change your record, and not have the address shown on your permit. For information about changing your record online, visit the online address change page at https://www.tennesseeanytime.org/chgdl/."

Don't know if anyone's got any true life stories on how doing this plays out in a traffic stop or similar situation. Any one out there got a story to tell?

[quote name=Loon160T;465473

"To Change Your Address Without Getting a New Handgun Carry Permit

You have the option to change your record' date=' and not have the address shown on your permit. For information about changing your record online, visit the online address change page at https://www.tennesseeanytime.org/chgdl/."

this is what i did....cost me $12 dollars. kinda unclear on what i purchased ;)

this is what i did....cost me $12 dollars. kinda unclear on what i purchased ;)

Well, you purchased compliancy with TCA 39-17-1357.

Which keeps your carrying privileges intact, since failure to notify of address change within 60 days is cause for revocation or suspension of HCP under 39-17-52.

I don't know what the laws are for TDL, even though I have one of those also. :-)

- OS

Although two physically different things, as far as the database of info goes your DL and HCP are the same thing. If you change the address on one you are automatically changing the address on the other, at least in the states database.

Notifying of a change of address is all that is required by law. You do not have to get a new DL or new HCP with your new address on it. But there should have been a page at the end of the online process that gave you an opportunity to print it that says you have done an online address change. It instructs you to hand over that printout with your DL/HCP to an officer and it explains why the address on your DL/HCP is different than the one that comes up on a computer check.

The cost of a duplicate HCP is $5 and I think the the cost of a duplicate DL is $7 so it sounds like that is where your $12 went.

• 2 weeks later...

just a update. Today i received my new DL. I didn't receive a new HCP or any mention of my permit in the included documentation. Now my HCP and DL have 2 different addresses. Does this not throw a red flag up to any leo who compares the two? I know my DL/HCP number is changed and the database is "updated"......i just want to verify i have fulfilled my responsibilities in the states opinion. Thanks

I went through this same thing this past summer. The lady I spoke to in Nashville told me all that is required is to notify the state of the address change. I went ahead and went to the DMV and did the replacement HCP form. It was worth the 5 bucks to me to get a new one with matching address. Sounds like you have done all that is required by law. If you are worried about it go the extra step and do the paperwork at the DMV. Took me about 3-4 months to get my new HCP.

I went through this same thing this past summer. The lady I spoke to in Nashville told me all that is required is to notify the state of the address change. I went ahead and went to the DMV and did the replacement HCP form. It was worth the 5 bucks to me to get a new one with matching address. Sounds like you have done all that is required by law. If you are worried about it go the extra step and do the paperwork at the DMV. Took me about 3-4 months to get my new HCP.

What he said...

Guest bkelm18
I did mine and it took all of the 90 days. I had to carry the receipt around in my wallet to prove that I had done it and my permit was legal.

When you order a duplicate permit you don't surrender your current one....

I just changed my address online as well.

I went through the link to change HCP address and it stated that DL address would also be automatically updated.

I would normally pay a few extra dollars to get new copy of DL, but didn't want the hassle of printing the HCP duplicate form and mailing it in or going to the DMV so opted for the online change only. That way at least my addresses match from DL to HCP (albeit the old address).

Am sure anyone (hopefully) that is in need of seeing either my permit or DL is now used to the option of having it changed only in the database.

just a update. Today i received my new DL. I didn't receive a new HCP or any mention of my permit in the included documentation. Now my HCP and DL have 2 different addresses. Does this not throw a red flag up to any leo who compares the two? I know my DL/HCP number is changed and the database is "updated"......i just want to verify i have fulfilled my responsibilities in the states opinion. Thanks

My DL and HCP have different addresses. When I got pulled over a few months ago, the cop either didn't notice or didn't care. He never mentioned it. I printed the address change confirmation page from the web site and carry that in my wallet in case it comes up. You're fine, don't sweat it.

Guest bkelm18

My DL has my current address on it. My HCP has my prior address on it. I figure if at least one of them has the correct address on it then it really shouldn't matter. If a cop has a problem with it then they should probably educate themselves on the requirements.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pws_smokeyjones

I had a change of address a while back and I too wanted to make sure I was compliant - so I went down the the DL office to change it. the guy gladly took my HCP and then proceeded to punch a big fat hole right through it and keep it! He gave me a receipt that had a little sticker on it that said I was legal. To be honest I felt better having a HCP with the wrong address on it than I did with that stupid receipt. Anyway, the NEXT time I had a change of address, I just did it online like the website says and I kept my existing HCP with the 'wrong' address. I never got stopped but I am pretty sure I was in compliance even though my DL and HCP had different addresses. Just my 2cents. :hijack:

I had a change of address a while back and I too wanted to make sure I was compliant - so I went down the the DL office to change it. the guy gladly took my HCP and then proceeded to punch a big fat hole right through it and keep it! He gave me a receipt that had a little sticker on it that said I was legal. To be honest I felt better having a HCP with the wrong address on it than I did with that stupid receipt. Anyway, the NEXT time I had a change of address, I just did it online like the website says and I kept my existing HCP with the 'wrong' address. I never got stopped but I am pretty sure I was in compliance even though my DL and HCP had different addresses. Just my 2cents. :hijack:

Sounds like another case of the DOS worker not knowing the law or proper procedure.

The receipt is only good with the physical HCP.

Of course they take old DLs and punch holes in them, but that is because they are giving you a new one....

Edited by Fallguy
Guest pws_smokeyjones
Sounds like another case of the DOS worker not knowing the law or proper procedure.

The receipt is only good with the physical HCP.

Of course they take old DLs and punch holes in them, but that is because they are giving you a knew one....

Yep - that is exactly what happened. he treated my HCP just like a drivers license. I tried to talk to him about it, but it was too late anyway because he had already punched a hole in the darn thing. So in essence he put me in a position to be carrying illegally right? I was very uncomfortable with it and actually didn't carry until my new permit came in the mail about 3 weeks later. This was at the DL office out on Centennial Blvd in Davidson County by the way.

In 8 years I haven't had to show my HCP to any LEO... it still has the address printed on it where I lived 2 moves ago (but I have updated it electronically several times, including when I renewed). The other day I changed my address, because I am moving, and decided to order duplicates... I expect the HCP to take just as long as a renewal, but the DL should be here this week.