ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY

Guest Mad4rcn

That's definitely not true....ish :D It depends on the unit's MTOE and excess. Typically, the pistols are reserved for SNCO's and O's. Depending on how many they have, they can be pushed down to the gun teams. My last unit, there were 2 in the entire troop. You can guess which O and E got them to walk around the FOB with. My first unit, we had a ton of them. I signed for one when I was a gunner and when I became a TL, I gave it to my gunner.

Here's a fun fact. Last tour, I had one of my soldier's going to the SOY board. Shooting a qual with the M9 and dis/assembly was one of the events. My 1SG and CO both refused to let my SPC practice, use, or touch their pistols (remember, there were only two). Luckily the ODA that was at our FOB was ****ing cool (like they usually are) and let us use theirs on their range.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's definitely not true....ish :) It depends on the unit's MTOE and excess. Typically, the pistols are reserved for SNCO's and O's. Depending on how many they have, they can be pushed down to the gun teams. My last unit, there were 2 in the entire troop. You can guess which O and E got them to walk around the FOB with. My first unit, we had a ton of them. I signed for one when I was a gunner and when I became a TL, I gave it to my gunner.

Here's a fun fact. Last tour, I had one of my soldier's going to the SOY board. Shooting a qual with the M9 and dis/assembly was one of the events. My 1SG and CO both refused to let my SPC practice, use, or touch their pistols (remember, there were only two). Luckily the ODA that was at our FOB was ****ing cool (like they usually are) and let us use theirs on their range.

ODAs cool? Baahhhhh, I'm gonna pull the BS flag on that one.... those guys are suuuuuch prima donnas!:D

When I first came in we weren't assigned a weapon at all. Although I qualified with a M16. Next it was a .45 for the protection of the wounded. When I flew Dustoff it was a pencil barreled MDL 10. When I went on my first vacation in El Salvador it was the MDL 10 and anything I could get my hands on (AKM). Later on it was a old XM177 or Commando for air crews. Then all Medic's in lower grade carried a rifle. On my last MOB they took up the entire units rifles and issued M9's just before boarding the plane at the CO's request. (Running Camp Victory). My new unit is MP's so you can get to qualify on 249's, M4, M9, Mark II and Sigs if you ask and the ammo is available.

For the most part the ODA's have always been special (STFO). They sure have changed over the years. But great guys from my experience and when riding shotgun for a MEDIVAC with me way down south. I sure have some stories.

I'm going to have to agree with you there. What's their first rule they always say? "Look Cool"? Nothing about being cool though.

I thought the first rule was "If you don't know what you're doing be sure to look cool while you're doing it."

been 10 years since I was in, but I thought unless you were an MP, they only provided sidearms to officers?

we never received any training or qualified with a sidearm when I was in as an enlisted soldier.

It depends on the duty position. In my light infantry company all 240 gunners had M9s as PDWs. While Officers had access none carried them unless they were staff at BN or above.

My present unit requires a lot of KLEs so we have M9s so when sitting with leaders we are still armed even with our rifles sat aside.

I mos def wear just a pistol around KAF though. Carrying a rifle around the FOB sucks.

My son will be home in a few months from deployment and has expressed interest in getting HCP.My question is,does he have to take the handgun course or will he be exempt from that end of the process and just have to pay the fee and fill out application and receive his permit.Thanks in advance.

Wow...this thread got OT real quick B)

Guest redbarron06
Ha, well I'd say that the standard memo on the previous page pretty much sums it up. Now on to more important topics like Kandahar being sucky no matter what time of year.

To cover all the ways KAF has sucked over the years might require its own thread.

Wow...this thread got OT real quick :D

Being that the OP that you quoted in the above thread was started almost two years ago, I'd say lets have some fun with it.

Buy the way " How bad does KAF really suck?" , Daniel be good over there.

I only spent few days at KAF back in 04. I remember a Pizza Hut stand being there. That was pretty cool after bouncing from FOB to FOB. I hated Bagram and every chance I got, I got away.

I had a good time though, I was thrown on a team of mechanics as a rigger (because of slingloading equipment) and traveled to different FOBs installing uparmor kits. I never really stayed in one place long enough at one time to get into much trouble. I was assigned to 3rd SFG and when they left, I stayed on with 7th SFG. (CJSOTF). Costner do you remember me an WO2 Pettus?

Night and day between the two groups. I actually had a SGM from 7th group tell me I could not wear my gortex because my name was not sewn on the sleeve pocket. Snow on the ground in a combat environment and this dude wants to worry about AR670-1. 3rd group guys were cool though.