What would you do about this ?

JG55

Yesterday, I went to the M'boro gun show and bought a brand new PM40. This morning I dis- assembled it with no problems to clean in preparation of going to the range. This brand new gun will not re-assemble. It sticks half way and then will not budge. I tried for 30 minutes, rewatched the videos, still no luck. Took it back to the dealer at the show, He could not get it to re-assemble. Same problem I had. He tried for 45 minutes. I asked him to give me a refund since the gun was defective.

He said: "I can't do that, It's a used gun because you bought it yesterday.. You can get service for it from the manufacturer, I can't. If I take it back I will have to sell it as a used gun." "Call me and let me know if you can't get it fixed." ( what does that mean? IS he going to mreplace then? Somehow I don't think so..) It was obvious, he wasn't going to make right on it.

What would you do? I have actually returned a defective handgun to reliabe dealer and they replaced it before with no problems. I could go into all the reasons of why I think this is bad business but that doesn't solve the problem.

Since I am relatively new to gun shows and dealers, I thought I would ask the more experienced of you, what is the correct response to this problem? Or is there a response other than calling the Manufacturer?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

It's really up to the dealer to take it back or not. They're just like any other business. I'm not too familiar with Kahr but I would assume they have a warranty and would fix it no problem.

Ultimately it will go back to the mfg - whether you do it, or the dealer does.

What this really boils down to is that particular dealer is clearly not interested in retaining your business as a repeat customer, therefore sees little incentive in coordinating the return process.

Yeah, it sucks... but given the nature of the transaction (traveling gun show table vendor to a random customer), I'm not really surprised.

Not much you can do. The dealer said he won't help you, so you're pretty much left sending it back to the manufacturer or paying a local gunsmith to look at it. I think it's bad business on their part not to help you with a brand new gun. I'd make the point that it will cost him more in lost business by not making it right than it will to resell the Kahr as a used gun. I don't know why the dealer couldn't send it back, though.

You might contact the dealer at their brick and mortar location and talk to the manager/ head guy, if that's not who you were dealing with at the show. If it was, then you may have to send it to Kahr.

Who was the dealer?

if he is not going to stand behind his product then you will have to hope the mfg will, i think that is a pretty sorry excuse for a dealer, sorrry about your luck man.

Sounds like it's probably just the rare (but well known) slide lockup with getting the spring assembly off center.

Fix for Slide Stuck - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

Note that the crescent wrench/guide rod fix is probably easier, and that's the way Springfield CS generally tells you to do it.

If that doesn't do it for you, call Springfield and they'll talk you through it on the phone.

- OS

Does Springfield make PM40's now? :up:

That is to stop payment on the check. I am not sure in this instance what that would accomplish, besides a nasty phone call from the dealer. The manufacturer is a reliable one and getting it taken care of shouldn't be a problem except for the hassle of shipping back to them and waiting. I will wait and see what Kahr says before I make it worse.

Oh well. :):up::censored:

Heads up before you leave with your shinny new toy, make the dealer take it apart and put it back together, again.

It's a Kahr... not a Springfield.
Does Springfield make PM40's now? :up:

DOH² !!

I'm getting on up there, ya know.

I do have a PM9, dunno why I was thinking XD.

Anyway, the only thing I know that will lock one up on reassembly is getting the slide stop pin in ahead of the hole through barrel where it's supposed to go.

Another long shot possibility is that they've put the wrong spring assembly in. This happened to The Bronker on a PM9, but can't tell from your description just what's going on.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
add'l info
slide will not go all the way back so slide stop can't be installed. Slide stops or is stuck halfway on base.

Slide only goes back a little way to witness mark to start pin.

Then only goes back somewhat farther for pin to turn and lock in.

It doesn't go all the way back for either operation.

Also, note that spring is not perfectly centered to barrel, can cause binding if it is. Because of offset feed ramp.

- OS

• Administrator
That is to stop payment on the check. I am not sure in this instance what that would accomplish, besides a nasty phone call from the dealer. The manufacturer is a reliable one and getting it taken care of shouldn't be a problem except for the hassle of shipping back to them and waiting. I will wait and see what Kahr says before I make it worse.

Oh well. :):up::censored:

Heads up before you leave with your shinny new toy, make the dealer take it apart and put it back together, again.

This would likely result in charges being filed against you for theft or some other similar transgression. Being that it is a firearm, that could end up becoming a Federal issue. Next time, use a credit or debit card. The CC companies will generally go to bat for you if something is wrong with your purchase.

It's sad that you mention this was from an established dealer, especially if this dealer has a brick and mortar store somewhere. That doesn't reflect well on them.

David,

You are right. It's really not worth the hassle of stopping payment. Lesson learned on my part. Once i know for sure how this is going to play out I will name the dealer and I am sure anyone who goes to the gun shows will recognize him.

notice on the far right the slide end cap is about 1/8 inch from going all the way back. That is where it sticks and will not budge.

pm40001.jpg?t=1267400611

Again, try resetting guide rod/spring again, I think it's not in correct slightly off center position.

And although it shouldn't cause that, make sure closed end of spring goes onto rod.

- OS

Guest davidz71

I'd say a part did not go back correctly or you are missing a step in the reassembly. It happens. The dealer can't be blamed because he probably is not a gunsmith. Call Kahr and ask to talk with someone in technical about getting the pieces back together. After that, if it doesn't work then something may definately be wrong. As a side note, a friend bought one of the Kahr 40 Tactical models when they came out and after the first few shots something in the trigger mechanism fell out onto the ground. He had to send it back for repair. Stuff happens although the Kahrs are good pistols.

This reminds me of when I took apart the series 80 firing pin block pieces on a lightly fired Gold Cup and couldn't get them back in right. I had to take it to a gunsmith and he put them back in free of charge. Boy did I feel dumb but I watched carefully as he showed me how to put them back in.

Edited by davidz71

I agree it may be a user issue. there's a vid on kahr's site. I wouldn't bother with the dealer if it is a defective gun unless he's close to you. I would just call kahr and have them issue a pickup for it.

kahr's are finicky about assembly. I had problems the first time too.. but now it's a breeze.

slide will not go all the way back so slide stop can't be installed. Slide stops or is stuck halfway on base.

it doesn't go all the way back to install the stop.. only to the takedown marks on the frame.