Keeping Under Mattress?

So i'm pondering on getting either a holster or gun rug and start keeping my M&P9c under my mattress(loaded). My question is....Is this safe? Would you guys see any problem with this? I actually don't have a bedside stand, so just trying to weigh my options?

BTW, There are no kids in the house.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep a pump shotgun, loaded, cocked w/ one in chamber (cross bolt safety on), under mattress.

I also put my XD carry gun under mattress toward head of the bed each night, no holster, one in chamber.

There is a snub nosed .38 under my moms couch cushion.

Gets sat upon every day by somebody.

- OS

Guest 70below
I've never felt comfortable enough to keep a gun under my mattress. I keep a shotgun and handgun next to the bed. I keep the shotgun standing in the corner, and the handgun is on the floor. I can reach both very easily.

I've thought about getting one of these.

Ultimate Bed Holster | Store

Well crap.........another one of my holster ideas gone that I should have acted upon.

I've been meaning to take one of those metal shelf bookends and attach a holster to it so that the end would slide between the mattress and holster would be flush with the side of the top and bottom mattress.

I have a night stand drawer within reach. no need to use under matress. besides, I would think it would be problematic to grab in a hurry if I needed to.

I have had the shotgun standing up against the wall next to my head tho. I haven't had it out in a while tho. I figure the 13+1 of .45 acp with extra 13rnd mag is good enough.

i had a nice 16 gauge pump that i had under my mattress for about a year. took it out one day and most of the bluing was gone. never again

This is one of the reasons I was thinking more about a gun rug...to keep down on abrasion. Anyone else ever had this issue?

Well crap.........another one of my holster ideas gone that I should have acted upon.

I've been meaning to take one of those metal shelf bookends and attach a holster to it so that the end would slide between the mattress and holster would be flush with the side of the top and bottom mattress.

Ah, just make some slight changes/improvements, give it a different name and you're good to go.

With no "kids" in the house why does it need to be under the mattress....lay on your bed and reach under the mattress...if your weight is on the gun in a gun rug...its going to be hard to draw...if no children or animals are there why not lay it in a unzipped gun rug under the bed at the edge? easily drawn if needed and with in reach, if put towards headboard it wouldnt get in the way as not many people enter the bed at the head or even get there when making it up. if for security reasons your asking...I wouldnt...every thief knows to look under the mattress for the good stuff. maybe a cheapie BB pistol holster at walmat for 6 dollars and some stickybacked velcro would be a better option attached to the headboard or railing of the bed. I keep a shotgun by the bed and one of those walmart holsters screwed up high to the back of the bedroom door for my pistol.

For me the answer is NO, my mattress must weigh 400 lbs (don't know how much it weighs but it 4 guys to bring it in and my wife and I have tried to rotate it (no there is NO flipping it) and while I think I could handle my side she can't) I would have a devil of a time finding my gun in a pinch. I just cut a hole in the wall and dropped a wall safe in.

...why not lay it in a unzipped gun rug under the bed at the edge? easily drawn if needed and with in reach...

This is more along the lines of what I was thinking...keeping the gun rug unzipped(just using it to protect the finish on the gun), and keep it under the mattress just at the edge where it could be easily accessed.

For me the answer is NO, my mattress must weigh 400 lbs (don't know how much it weighs but it 4 guys to bring it in

Must be one of those tempurpedics!! They weigh a ton!!

Night stand is where mine is. Thought about hanging it on the headboard tho....

This is one of the reasons I was thinking more about a gun rug...to keep down on abrasion. Anyone else ever had this issue?

Guess it depends on mattress material and gun finish.

My 870 has the black whatever it is on there, no indication of wear going on two years. The XD same, 'bout 1.5 years now.

Kept an old double barrel and .22 rifle under a mattress for about 10 years back when, didn't seem to hurt them.

...Too slow to retrieve a gun in my opinion. ..

I leave grip sticking out some, 'bout as quick to grab as any other way I can think of short of wearing it in my sleep.

For me the answer is NO, my mattress must weigh 400 lbs ...

My word. Mine's just a standard double, but pretty heavy even so. Wouldn't think it would matter though, it's just stuck in there enough to hold it, grip sticks out; it's not like I have to LIFT the mattress or anything.

Whatever pops one's cork, I reckon.

Hell, I slept with revolver under pillow for many years.

- OS

Must be one of those tempurpedics!! They weigh a ton!!

Night stand is where mine is. Thought about hanging it on the headboard tho....

Yep.:shrug:

My word. Mine's just a standard double, but pretty heavy even so. Wouldn't think it would matter though, it's just stuck in there enough to hold it, grip sticks out; it's not like I have to LIFT the mattress or anything.

Whatever pops one's cork, I reckon.

Hell, I slept with revolver under pillow for many years.

Well I have grandchildren over quite a lot and it's easier to remember to relock the wall safe than remember to pick it up from between the mattress, or under the pillow (and I have slept with one under the pillow before, didn't like it).