shotgun question

Guest Boonie2

Guest Boonie2

i just bought a winchester model 1300 shotgun yesterday and i discovered it only holds 2 shells and one in the chamber. i though all shotguns held 5 or more. is there any way i can increase the amount in it. or is it againsted the law. btw i have a carry permit. Also were can i find the choke tubes for the gun. i only have one that came with it that says (full) on it. i would like to have a set for it. My boss said something about winchoke but i cant find anything on the net. my gun was built in 2001 i called winchester yesterday to find out. Thanks Roy

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pjblurton
i just bought a winchester model 1300 shotgun yesterday and i discovered it only holds 2 shells and one in the chamber. i though all shotguns held 5 or more. is there any way i can increase the amount in it. or is it againsted the law.

Win-1300's came in 5, 7 or 8 shot variants. Most were shipped with a dowel in the mag tube to comply with bird hunting regulations.

Just remove the dowel....

Checkout Brownells or Midway USA for choke tubes. A little googling will find others cheaper.

My Rem 870 came the same way. Unscrew the end-cap on the magazine, remove the plastic or wood dowel, put it the end-cap back on. Done. The dowel is in there to comply with some hunting regulations which generally require magazine capacity no greater than two.

Any sporting goods place or other firearms store should have chokes. Google will find lots of others.

If you go looking for choke tubes, make sure you go before any of the "bird" seasons. The last time I went around turkey season, I couldn't find squat. And watch out for the wooden dowel when you go to take it out. The spring will launch it out of there if you don't have your hands on it.

Guest Boonie2

another quick question? what would be a good home protection load for a long barrel shotgun? at the moment i have a full choke on the gun. can a person just buy a set of chokes for it? sorry for all the stupid questions but this is my first shotgun.

Guest pjblurton

If you are looking for Winchoke's, these aren't bad ($30-60).

At least the selection is good;

Winchoke Tubes: MGW

I'm not really sure what your price range is OR where a good place to find USED choke tubes would be....

Ive never looked into it for my 1300 since I use mine for hunting and skeet, but if it were me I would consider looking for a shorter barrel for it. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't want to be trying to maneuver in a house with that long barrel. I keep 00 buck in my home gun. A friend of mine keeps turkey loads in his.

I wouldn't recommend using a long barrel shotgun for home defense, except as a "last stand" kind of weapon. They're far too long to be used effectively.

That said, I'd use a heavy duck or turkey load. There was an episode of "Best Defense" a while back that compared penetration of 00 buck vs. bird shot. The buck shot penetrated a long way, competely through a refrigerator. The bird shot didn't go through the fridge, but the impact "wound" was really, really nasty.

... The bird shot didn't go through the fridge, but the impact "wound" was really, really nasty.

Just what you want, an aggressor with a gruesome and perhaps fatal wound, but still standing with a gun in his hand.

- OS

Just what you want, an aggressor with a gruesome and perhaps fatal wound, but still standing with a gun in his hand.

- OS

Is needing a 2nd shot worse than the one that misses passing through 3 interior walls hitting who-knows-what in the process?

I know, I know... don't miss.

Guest bkelm18

If you live in a house, 00 Buck is a popular choice, but if you live in an apartment or if your neighbors are real close next door, #4 Buck is recommended. Still has good "knockdown" power (yes I know, that's a forbidden phrase), but less potential for over-penetration. If you are planning on maneuvering around your home with the shotgun, a shorter barrel is a good idea. However if you plan on using it as a bedroom gun where you'll hunker down and call the police, then I can't see where a longer barrel would be a disadvantage.

Guest BackwoodsBum

Boonie,

When you remove the magazine cap on your 1300 there will be a metal cap (I think they call it the magazine spring retainer or something like that) that you have to pry out before you can take the plug out. Like Shorty said...watch for the spring, it will fly out if you're not careful. Once you have the retainer out you can remove the plug and you're ready to go.

As for choke tubes...the 1300 uses the standard Winchoke style chokes (.812' x 32 tpi) so chokes from Winchester, Mossberg (500 series, not the 835's), Browning (Invector, not Invector Plus), Savage, and several others will all fit. I've been shooting Winchesters and building them for turkey shoots for many years so I've probably got a few old chokes lying around. If I can find some I'll be glad to give you a couple.

I've got several Winchester barrels lying around my shop. Most are 28" - 30" or custom barrels but I think I may have one short barrel. I'll see what I've got and if I've got one I'll hook you up cheap.

Clark

Guest pjblurton
I've been shooting Winchesters and building them for turkey shoots for many years so I've probably got a few old chokes lying around. If I can find some I'll be glad to give you a couple.

I've got several Winchester barrels lying around my shop. Most are 28" - 30" or custom barrels but I think I may have one short barrel. I'll see what I've got and if I've got one I'll hook you up cheap.

Clark

That's an awesome offer! I don't think you can beat that Boonie!