Stoegar, Benelli, what others?

Shima

Is the Stoegar just basically a Beretta Shotgun with a different name? What are the pros and cons to them? I'm looking for options OTHER THAN the 870 and Mossberg? I'm also curious about the Benelli. Pros and cons to that one? I want to stay under $600. So what are my best options as far as quality and staying in my price range? I don't mind shopping for used. I'm in no big hurry, just studying my options? What are your experiences? Thanks.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Stoeger 2000 is a benelli brand. Same basic function as a Benelli, but not near the same quality. Same as Franchi. A little nicer fit and finish of a Stoeger, but still not a Benelli.

You may be able to find a decent used M1 Benelli in your price range. If you want to buy now, I strongly suggest the Walmart Beretta 390. Should be in most wally worlds that still sell guns. Around $550. It is jusy an American made Beretta and is one of the best buys in a shotgun today imo.

FYI, Beretta owns Benelli as well. It is just not advertised much.

Guest mustangdave

I have a Benelli NOVA Tactical 12g...like it a lot...bought it from a coworker of my wife. I like the fit and finish when I compared it to the Remmy870 and Mossy 500...the previous owner added a feed tube extension so it'll hold 6 rounds plus one chambered and ready to rock & roll. I've run bird and buck shot through it at a local indoor range just to FAMFIRE it when I first bought it. Oh and it has ghost ring sites on it as well.

Stoeger is not a bad gun they are mainly Turrkish made with some decent quality. For under $600 you can look at the Benelli Nova Tactical, not sure if there are any Big5 stores in Tn but they usually have them advertised at 399.99. You can also look at Saiga 12, the basic model is under 600. And ofcourse you can always look at the used racks most stores hvae one can find some sweet deals on some quality guns there.

Stoeger is not a bad gun they are mainly Turrkish made with some decent quality. For under $600 you can look at the Benelli Nova Tactical, not sure if there are any Big5 stores in Tn but they usually have them advertised at 399.99. You can also look at Saiga 12, the basic model is under 600. And ofcourse you can always look at the used racks most stores hvae one can find some sweet deals on some quality guns there.

Stoeger (Turkey ) bought all of Beretta's machining when the upgraded. So, yes Stoeger IS the same thing as Beretta even made on the same machines. Doesn't have the same finishing, but the important stuff is GTG.

I agree with Mustangdave about the Benelli. I really like the Benelli Super Nova

Tactical with pistol grip and Ghost Ring sights. The ergonomics are great, the action is smooth and reliable. I normally shoot 2 3/4 inch double 00 buck low recoil. Never had a problem. Absolutely a great shotgun. I added the Nordic +2 magazine extension which gives me the same capacity as Mustangdave. My guess is that you can find one in the low $400s new. Good luck.

Well, I sold my Glock 30 and took the money straight to a LGS and got a great cash deal on a Benelli Supernova Tactical with the Comfort grip stock and ghost ring sights for $492 OTD. I can't wait to get out and warm it up. I'm fairly new to shotguns. I had an 870 Express briefly, but didn't shoot it much because I traded out of it fairly quickly. I need to go take a couple defensive shotgun courses with some of the TGO instructors. I'm really excited about it. It's one hot looking Italian. I'll get the pics on here tomorrow. I didnt see much in the owners manual about the recommended cleaning time frame or process. Do you clean them after every shooting, once in a while, or next to never? After all, it's a pump shotgun that will eject the old and chamber a new shell every time you pump it right? How often do you take the trigger group out for cleaning? Does it have to be cleaned with solvent and Benelli lube oil or is there something else? Maybe CLP and Aerokroil like I do my VEPR K 7.62x39? All input is appreciated. Thanks, Shima

Congrats on the new toy. The Benellis are appealing to me more and more.

When I had my 870, I would clean it every time I took it out hunting or to the range, but I highly doubt it was necessary. Never had any kind of hiccup. The way I look at it is, if you take care of you weapons, they will take care of you. You cant OVERclean a gun.