HB3125/SB3012 new restaurant carry bill by Todd/Jackson

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Her amendment was to have no liability for business owner, employee, etc... for use of handgun buy HCP holder.

Guess it was tabled to, but didn't here vote.

Thanks! Video cut out right as she started reading her motion and I was was worried what kind of crap she had dreamed up this time.

Her amendment was to have no liability for business owner, employee, etc... for use of handgun buy HCP holder.

Guess it was tabled to, but didn't here vote.

I think that's reasonable. But I also think that they should be liable if they prohibit lawful carry and something happens to their patrons.

I think that's reasonable. But I also think that they should be liable if they prohibit lawful carry and something happens to their patrons.

I'll second that!!

I don't necessarily have a problem with it either...but then it should be all property owners and not just owners of places that serve alcoholic beverages.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
BILL PASSES!!!

8-4

Goes to Finance Ways and Means next

any idea why it is going to FW&M instead of directly to the house regular session?

any idea why it is going to FW&M instead of directly to the house regular session?

Not sure, but guess there is some fiscal note to it. Hopefully we can see that when it posted to the state's website.

Is there anyway we can see a copy of the amendment?

Now that it has been voted on, it should be on the bill's status page when it is updated.

There is a fiscal note attached to the Senate (?!?) version of the bill that anticipates an increase in local revenues of $11,000/yr (due to an anticipated 30 convictions @ $500, with 8 unable to pay) and an increase in local expenditures of $4,200/yr (incarceration costs for 72 hrs x 30). No significant change in state revenues or expenditures is anticipated.

I wonder: the amendment may not appear in the web posting until the bill actually moves to the full floor calendar...

Yeah, but the fiscal note you can see on the web page is on the original bill which is not what is moving forward, it the amendment that rewrites the bill that is moving forward.

If I can ever get a copy revised amendment from someone I'll post it like last time.

There is a fiscal note attached to the Senate (?!?) version of the bill that anticipates an increase in local revenues of $11,000/yr (due to an anticipated 30 convictions @ $500, with 8 unable to pay) and an increase in local expenditures of $4,200/yr (incarceration costs for 72 hrs x 30). No significant change in state revenues or expenditures is anticipated.

I wonder: the amendment may not appear in the web posting until the bill actually moves to the full floor calendar...

That's interesting that that they think they are going to nail 30 HCP holders a year for walking past properly posted signs since I've yet to find even one case that was brought to trial that was about a permit holder walking past a properly posted sign...

Matthew

That's interesting that that they think they are going to nail 30 HCP holders a year for walking past properly posted signs since I've yet to find even one case that was brought to trial that was about a permit holder walking past a properly posted sign...

Matthew

They weren't talking about the $500 fine for a violation of 39-17-1359, they were talking about convictions of carry where alcohol is served.

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/106/Fiscal/SB3012.pdf

State court convictions are 10 percent of the total convictions. According to the Administrative Office of the Courts, there has been an average of three convictions for violations of possession of a firearm where alcoholic beverages are served in each of the past five years. Total convictions, including general sessions courts, are estimated to be an average of 30 per year. The weighted average cost per day for local jails is $46.61. Requiring mandatory minimum sentences of 72 hours will result in an increase in local expenditures of $4,194.90 ($46.61 x 3 days x 30 offenders). Estimate assumes 25 percent of the offenders (8) are indigent and will not be able to pay the $500 mandatory minimum fine. An increase in local revenue estimated at $11,000 ($500 x 22 offenders).

But I grant either way I think it is an exaggeration.

But....again that is based on the bill as first presented which has changed drastically as it relates to this.

Guest Espanola

This morning I received an email from NRA/IRL about emailing your local state congresscritter about this.

Mine's Pat Marsh...here was his response...sounded squishy to me.

"Espanola, (OK, he didn't call me that...the rest is direct copy)

Its great to hear from people from Kelso. Like you, Im a proud supporter of our 2nd amendment rights and enjoy owning/shooting guns. This is a complex bill so I appreciate your input as I continue to study it and it's progress through committee.

Sincerely,

Pat Marsh"

I emailed him back and told him I'd hoped I'd get an unequivocal statement that he was in favor of it.

Guest 270win

It looks like a pretty good bill. I do think on principal the sign thing is silly, but it does make the bed wetters feel better. It is nice to know someone with a permit hasn't had a problem with it. I honestly don't worry about it b/c I conceal.

What's up with Coleman on HB2718, is he an idiot or what? What does dress have to do with this? Here goes the UT mouth piece....:bat:

Coleman won initial election by 40 votes after lying on the NRA survey indicating he'd support gun owner rights. As far as I know he has never voted for a pro-gun bill.

I agree. But here's what I think. Personally, I am first and foremost for property rights. While I think it's horrible, I think property owners should be able to ban anyone for any reason (race, creed, whatever) from their property. It's their property and should only have to allow whoever they want on it. That said, since that's not the case and forced to allow all people all, then they should be forced to allow us with our firearms on to their property. It needs to be one way or another.

Really, the only place I don't think people should be allowed to carry a firearm is in a jail/prison (almost more for your own safety) and in a courtroom (although, being allowed may lower the amount of people we'd have to jail because a loved one may shoot the perp and then probably wouldn't get much jail time for that because it was done out of "grief").

Matthew

According to Judge Napolitano, the Supreme Court has ruled that you cannot infringe on Constitutional rights if you own a business that is considered a public accommodation. Therefore they can no sooner ban your right to bear arms than ban your right to free speech, since each has been ruled a "fundamental" liberty and is therefore "[,,,]protected from interference by the Constitution."

I wouldn't be surprised to see/hear him pi$$ and moan some more, but don't see where they would have any grounds to challenge this one. This bill would completely repeal 39-17-1305...nothing very vague about that. :lol:

Nothing vague about the words that have to be on a 39-17-1359 sign or where they have to be posted.

Also nothing vague about that you can't be consuming while inside a place that serves alcohol.

All IMO of course which I admit doesn't legally mean jack squat. :)

So if I'm arrested, "Because FallGuy said so is NOT a legal defense?" Is that what you're saying. :D

This morning I received an email from NRA/IRL about emailing your local state congresscritter about this.

Mine's Pat Marsh...here was his response...sounded squishy to me.

"Espanola, (OK, he didn't call me that...the rest is direct copy)

Its great to hear from people from Kelso. Like you, Im a proud supporter of our 2nd amendment rights and enjoy owning/shooting guns. This is a complex bill so I appreciate your input as I continue to study it and it's progress through committee.

Sincerely,

Pat Marsh"

I emailed him back and told him I'd hoped I'd get an unequivocal statement that he was in favor of it.

Sounds to me your representative is stalling in advance of his "no" vote. I'm not exactly sure what is so complex about this bill. Heck, if I can understand it, anyone can. Sheesh.

Guest archerdr1

I sent emails to my rep. Vince Dean and Sen. Bo Watson at about 11:30pm on Tuesday night. I asked them to support the bill and also asked if he was going to run for reelection. Here is the response I got from Rep. Dean this morning. (not even 2 days) "Sorry it took so long to respond. I have had one busy week. I am still

with you on this issue. I am running again. As far as I know, I will

not have any opposition. A Democrat picked up papers, but I am pretty

sure that he is not going to turn them in. I thought that I never got

any opposition because I was doing such a great job. My wife told me it

was because nobody else was dumb enough to want to serve. I don't know."

I think he is a KEEPER!!!

As far as Bo Watson, I expect that he will vote for it, but have not heard back from him as of yet.

Originally Posted by Tim Nunan viewpost.gif

Coleman won initial election by 40 votes after lying on the NRA survey indicating he'd support gun owner rights. As far as I know he has never voted for a pro-gun bill.

yea hes a turd, how long before we can start the push to unseat him?

Why not start now? ;)