ammo for glock 23

Guest joey615

Guest joey615

im new too guns so i have no idea i just basically bought it for home protection. but i had a quick question. what is the best ammo for the money that i should used for my glock 23?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If everyone on here that owned a .40 chimed in (lets say 10 people) you'd probably get 10 different responses on the preferred ammo and the occassional 'I like the one mentioned before but I use this one'. Just have to try some out. Blazer, UMC, WWB (winchester white box) are good for practice in just about any caliber. For HD you'll probably hear Cor-Bon, Speer, Federal, Hornady, etc... I haven't bought .40 in a long time especially for home/self defense so check this link out:

Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

Other factors for hd ammo always come into play i.e., availability, price (your willing to pay), and a really important one... what your gun likes to eat!

Guest bkelm18

As far as FMJ, just about anything will work. I usually get the cheapest stuff I can find. As far as JHP, anything from a reputable manufacturer will be fine. Speer, Federal, Cor Bon, Hornady, etc.

A lot of the newest test show that Federal HST,Corbon DPX, Winchester Ranger, Hornady TAP & Critical Defense and even some of the older rounds like the Gold Dot work well. Only thing still being sold that lags behind is the Hydra-shok. It tends to clog on just about any material outside of flesh.

Personally, I really like and use (albeit in 9mm) is Federal HST and Winchester Ranger-T.

Guest bkelm18

I am a big fan of HST, but it can be hard to come by at times. If I can't find it I go with Speer Gold Dots or Remington Golden Sabers. Just remember that you need to shoot enough of whatever your choice is to be sure your gun feeds reliably on it.

Guest RangeMstr

Federal Gold Dot is effective and about the easiest to find. A word of caution, take your heart medication before you retail price quality personal defense ammo.

Speer Gold Dot 180gr is what I carry in mine. For range ammo I just use whatever FMJ I can get. Do not use Ultramax crap, it's a lead round nose bullet. You don't want to shoot the unjacketed lead bullets through your polygonal rifling.

Guest cheez

My Glock 23 will eat any ammo I feed it. My favorite for practice is Blazer. Matters not whether it is aluminum or brass. I carry Hornady 155 gr XTP +P

You will hear all kinds of "what's bests" here. My fiance and my best friend work for a large ammo distributor and Federal Hydrashock is the number one seller in any caliber in the United States. I'm not saying it is the best but only that it outsells anything out there by a mile. Law enforcement and civilian alike.

Guest Todd@CIS
Federal Hydrashock is the number one seller in any caliber in the United States...Law enforcement and civilian alike.

Doubtful. At one time, yes (10-15 years ago).

Today, I know of no major depts or depts around here that still issue it.

Anyway, thread drift aside...Gold Dot, Ranger-T, Golden Saber, DPX, HST, Fed Tactical. There's not a "bad" one in the bunch, regardless of bullet weight.

I prefer Gold Dots and Ranger-Ts in the 165gr or 180gr weight.

Good info here...

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest jdavis

i use federal hs in all of my guns and it has served me well i practice with anything i can get cheap but it usually ends up being federal champions from wal mart. i shoot 40 and 45.

I haven't ran into anything that my 3 Glocks wouldn't eat without hesitation. I usually target shoot with that Wolf steel case FMJ that I buy in bulk since I clean them after I shoot every time and don't reload. I carry Hornaday TAP in my 45 and DPX in my 9mm. Thats another great advantage to owning a Glock. They don't seem to be picky.

Guest Bronker

I'm running Remington Golden Sabers in all of my semi-auto's, in 9/40/45.

Have all fed reliably in everything I have (Springfield, Smith's, CZ).

In my revolvers, it's the Hornady Critical Defense.

Guest RangeMstr
Federal Gold Dot is effective and about the easiest to find. A word of caution, take your heart medication before you retail price quality personal defense ammo.

Sorry all - but you know what I meant (Speer).......:D

Teach me to type and talk to my wife huh?

Guest RangeMstr
granted its not a glock *cough*it doesnt jam*cough* but i use the Speer Gold Dot 180gr JHP in my XD45C

My Glock*cough* has never jammed, nor has any Glock I've ever been around lacking one of three scenarios. 1st - Crappy ammo - and by crappy I mean the real crappy stuff, Glocks will eat most anything. Not the pistols fault. 2nd - Operators who refuse to clean their pistols. I realize it's not required every magazine, but d**n, clean it at least every 2500 rounds. Again, not the pistols fault. 3rd - Limp wristing, not the pistols fault.

I had one FTF while shooting a qualification work out on the range with a G32 (.357 SIG). Dumped that mag, stuffed a fresh one and continued to rock. After shooting I went back and picked up the mag. It was manufactured in 1994 and this was 2009. After 15 years the mag spring finally lost it's power. I have since swapped out all the springs in those mags and haven't had a problem since.

Don't get me wrong, the XD is a good platform but it's kind of a frankenpistol, H&K barrel and locking block, 1911 palm safety, glock style SA trigger and a glock style polymer frame. It has more moving parts than a Glock and as any armorer will tell you some of them are "air-soluble", meaning that when I tear an XD all the way down, I plan on replacing those parts 'cause they always disappear. Wouldn't that be handy in the field?

There is a reason a bunch of manufacturers started coming out with polymer frame pistols. It was to compete with Glock. No one has been able to unseat Glock at the top.....

Edit - Isn't the XD45C a .45ACP rig?

Edited by RangeMstr