Why do you carry a Glock?

Marswolf

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a lot of research and initially was planning on getting an XD 9mm in sub compact. I finally found one to fondle and immediately had a problem racking the slide and pushing the thumb safety at the same time.

What thumb safety? You lost me.

I think he meant take down lever or slide release??

But you don't have to push either to make the gun chamber a round with a full magazine. Just pull the slide to the rear and release.

I could understand if you are releasing the slide with an empty magazine, but that's not a time critical matter.

Guest DonRickles
But why does average Joe packer or plinker buy a Glock?

When I carry a Glock it is usually for many of the same reasons that LE choose them. Cost, reliability, no manual safety, trigger(once you master shooting from reset it is awesome..IMHO). I am fortunate that the grip angle fits me and the gun instinctively follows my eyes. The low bore axis also seems to aid in controllability and pointability. I am no Official Glock Armorer but with a little common sense you can replace any part on a Glock. And the sheer amount of aftermarket parts also was a selling point. Holsters, conversion barrels, competition triggers are among but a few of the hundreds....no thousands of Glock related products available.

While I like to think of myself as not "average Joe packer/plinker" I would imagine that the popularity and sheer number of Glocks as well as any of the preceding factors contribute to it's widespread popularity.

P.S....the inability to cycle the action of the XD without depressing the grip safety is one of the negatives of that gun for me also.

I don't think I've ever tried to rack a slide without my hand in position on the backstrap. I'll have to think about it.

i've heard that people with smaller hands have a problem keeping the web of their hand in such a position to fully disengage the grip safety. that may have been what he was talking about.

On my XD you barley have to be touching the grip safety for it to engage...

Back on topic I can tell you why I don't carry a glock, I can even doing it without bashing them :panic:. The grip angle is completely unnatural for me, and in the case of the 3rd gen (the only ones I've held) the finger grooves don't fit my fingers correctly. If it weren't for those two things I would be a glock owner.

Yeah sorry, I meant to say grip safety. I didn't have any issues with it when in a firing position, but when I held the gun perpendicular to my body and racked the slide with my left hand on top of the slide for some reason the grip safety wasn't being depressed by my shooting hand. That would be a lot easier to demonstrate then to explain. lol

Now I don't believe that would be an issue for me with any of the XD's larger than sub compact as the grip safeties on those seem to be a bit bigger? They look bigger but I haven't compared them side by side.

Now I don't believe that would be an issue for me with any of the XD's larger than sub compact as the grip safeties on those seem to be a bit bigger? They look bigger but I haven't compared them side by side.

That could be true I have never held an SC, mine is a service model. I'll bring it to the East TGO meet and if you come you're welcome to try it out.

Guest glockamolee

My first Glock was the model 20. I always liked the 10mm. My second glock was the 17 due to the fact that my buddy used to be a Navy Seal. The Seals, and other Special Forces have a modified internal "O" ring that allow function of the pistol under water.

No, he is out of the Military, and I can't take orders (or I would).

Guest triggertime
My first Glock was the model 20. I always liked the 10mm. My second glock was the 17 due to the fact that my buddy used to be a Navy Seal. The Seals, and other Special Forces have a modified internal "O" ring that allow function of the pistol under water.

No, he is out of the Military, and I can't take orders (or I would).

Everybody and their brother is/was a Navy Seal on the internet. Tell 'your buddy' that SEALS are issued Sig 226s, not Glock 17s with marine spring cups. :up:

Guest gcrookston

this is a quote from a buddy of mine: "a Glock is a good gun. Good. Not great. Good. Great guns are rare and totally perfected, like Sig and HK are. The Glock falls short of perfection, but is Good at what it was designed to be." Have to second that. A Glock is a very good gun for what it was designed to be.

Guest gcrookston
Everybody and their brother is/was a Navy Seal on the internet. Tell 'your buddy' that SEALS are issued Sig 226s, not Glock 17s with marine spring cups. :shrug:

In this instance my brother was BUDS class 158, Annapolis 1988. Served Teams 2 and 4 1988-1998. And yes, he was issued P226s, MP5 and M16-M4s. The Glock and 92FS are short by a large margin of the 226. The Mk23 was just coming out as he was getting out and was not very well favored. If anyone cares to call me on this we can spar PM. I am not a SEAL, but I am the gun nut of the family (and the best shot)...

I had never heard of SEALs when he joined in 1988... I had never seen a Sig 226 until he visited for Christmas in 1989. That very month I bought one. I've had it now for over 10,000 rounds. It was my introduction to Sig Sauer. I must confess, the P210 is my favorite, but that 226 is my carry/nightstand/bethere gun of choice...

If anyone cares to call me on this we can spar PM

No BS call here--I've never heard of the SEALS being issued Glocks, although I bet some Special Ops types carry whatever they want. SIGs are fine pistols; I used to own three, but decided I wanted a gun w/ one trigger pull instead of two. If I had the time and resources to train as hard as the SEALs, I may still have SIGs. They are definitely shooters. Their DAK trigger is interesting, though.

For years I have operated with one foot in the military world and the other in the law enforcement world. Guns that are good for LE use are not necessarily good for military use and vice versa.

Some guns, like SIGs, H&Ks, and some Berettas work well in either world.

I have to disagree about the Beretta 92 being "short by a large margin of the 226." Having used a 92SB for about two decades, I find it every bit as capable and trustworthy as any of my other handguns. I still carry it in the field.

Guest gcrookston

The problem with berettas, as it was related to me, came about when the SEALs were training with the SAS in the north sea and where given the 92FS to evaluate. The SAS were using Sten gun ammo, a kind of P++ 9mm round. The Sigs could digest it just fine, but the Berettas had several catastrophic slide failures as well as other issues with the round.

I believe the Glocks and Berettas to be good guns, so don't get me wrong. But the P226 is a Great gun, and that, as they say, is the rub.