Your best low-buck rimfire?

Guest Halfpint

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 22-rimfire

Nope. I seldom go places that have such "deals". Not a garage sale or flea market kind of person. I seldom go to pawn shops and have rarely seen a bargain at a pawn shop unless it's something I have absolutely no use for. I have gotten good values and fair prices, but nothing like the $10.

Used to work with a guy who had an old rusty box of pistol parts in his tool box. I asked him about it one day. He told me he had intended to repair the pistol but lost interest years ago. He gave me the box of parts and after examining them I had a 1975 Ruger MKI w/ 6 7/8" tapered target barrel. I contacted Ruger about replacement parts and was told to send it to them for reconditioning. $30 for re-blueing , $6 for shipping and a 30 day wait, I had a brand new MKI pistol.

*just realized this post was for long guns- thats why I'm a nOOb*

Edited by johnnychimpo
mistake
  • 1 month later...

I posted on here in 07 but since then I got a couple of more cheap 22's. I went to a gun shop and was looking at the guns they had bought from a local police dept and I bought a Ranger 101 semiautomatic ( which is a house brand for Sears I think ), which I think it is a Savage model 6. I looked at this gun in the gun shop and a tag on it said it was broken ( bolt locked up ), and the price was $25. I got to looking at and it had a knob that you used to slide to bolt backward and foward and it did not move until I pulled out on the knob and was able to slide the bolt backward and foward. I know you are not suppose dry fire a .22 rimfire but I had to know if it worked and it did. This gun you can fire in semi auto or lock the bolt fire one at a time and manually work the bolt. When I went to buy it the guy behind the counter he messed with it and found the same thing I did and he said I think I fixed it. I told I did too and if he wanted to keep it I was O.K. with it. He said we bought it as a broken gun and we are going to sell it as one and do not tell the boss. When I took it to the gun range it is very accurate but has a little problem. When would shoot it, it will fire, eject the empty cartridge, load the next cartridge but when you pull the trigger nothing happens. When you lock the bolt back and manually rack the bolt it works fine.

The next good deal I got was from Tripledigitride :tough:, he had a friend that had a Stevens model 4C and it was missing the magazine for it and he was asking $50. I had a Stevens 84C so I brought that magazine with me and it worked so I bought. I found a magazine for it at Brownells. I had it the range last week and I was hitting a big metal gong at the 200 yard line every time with open sights. Thanks, TDR.

Edited by ZZRguy

.22's are my favorite. I never go to the range without one.

I have a handful of them, no cheap deals like some of you claim. One I bought at Atomic pawn for about 70 bucks IIRC. It is a Steven Model 62. Have not shot it forever. Maybe next time out.

Currently working on my original gun. A 70's Glenfield Marlin Model 60. Put a scope on it and am taking it to the range today. Trying to figure out which ammo it likes best. Going to try some Federal Champion 40 grain lead bullets today. It did not like Aguila copper washer 40 grain bullets, or Aguila Match ammo so much. But they all like something different.

Looks like Gallatin Gun Club range.

I bought a Mossberg model 44 back in the 80s, paid $85 which wasn't all that sweet at the time, but it was a neat gun. Had Property of US gov't stamped on it. It's one of the best shooting rifles I have. Has a full length stock. When I first got it I left it pretty much in as received condition. The stock was a little dinged, had sticky varnish and was not a looker at all.

One of my buddy's buddy thought if you didn't have a top notch gun you couldn't expect it to group good. He had nothing but $600 rifles. I finally had enough of it so we had a 50 yard shoot off against his Kimber .22. I smoked him, he shut up after that.

I've since bought two more Mossbergs from the CMP. Both were sold as rusty and I think they too were $85. Both are tack drivers. When one came in pre drilled for a Mossberg scope mount I put an old externally adjustable brass tube 4X on it. Man it's retro to the max. and it's a beauty.

Edited by seez52

My favorite, out of 7 or 8 22 rifles is a Mod 1890 Win in 22 short with Lyman folding peep sight on stock. Traded my buddy, who owned a gunshop in So. FL a Weatherby 22 semi-auto for it. Amazingly accurate with Aquila sub-sonic ammo.

an original 1870's vintage Marlin/Ballard for $150.00

It was a .40 cal half round half octagon with double set trigger that was sleeved to .22 and "wouldn't shoot worth a damn",...so I offered him $100- he said 150 and good luck..

Do you know a lot of old rimfires "won't shoot worth a damn" with a broken firing pin ?

and a Ballard firing pin is a piece of flat steel easily reproduced...after one gets over the shock of cracking open a 120 year old action..

Hell I got more in the scope that sits on top of it than the rifle...

an old R.A. Litschert 12x SPOT-SHOT looks like the old school Unertls

Some day it may go back to a CF but until then it is cheap to shoot and has a high "drool factor" when it goes to the range

John