"The Greatest Generation"...

...has lost another member.

My uncle, James "Bud" Witty, 85, of Woodbury was laid to rest this afternoon.

He was a decorated Army veteran of World War II.

Retired from the U.S. Postal Service, Bud was a bird hunter, a blue ribbon winning mule trainer and trader, a Southern gentleman, and truly a fine Christian man.

I doubt he knew anyone on this forum, and his death won't make the papers...but his was a life worth living, and I thought he deserved a mention.

Godspeed Bud....................

Edited by BigPoppa
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pjblurton
... a Southern gentleman, and truly a fine Christian man.

They seem to go hand and hand don't they....

My deepest sympathy for your loss.

Rest in Peace old warrior.

Here is the obit.

Bud Witty

-- 3/12/2010

James Lytle "Bud" Witty, 85, of Woodbury died Thursday, March 11 following a short illness. He was a native of Cannon Co.

Funeral services will be 2 pm Sunday in the Chapel of Woodbury Funeral Home with Bro. Herb Alsup officiating. Interment will follow in the Riverside Gardens. Visitation with the family will be Sat. from 4 - 8 pm.

He is survived by his wife of 20 years, Pauline Alexander Witty of Woodbury and his sister, Florene Ervin of Greenbrier, Tn. Also surviving are several nieces and nephews. For those wishing to do so, donations may be made to the American Cancer Society.

Mr. Witty was a veteran of the Army serving in WWII where he received 3 battle stars. He was retired from U.S. Postal Service, a member of the Church of Christ, TN. Walking Horse Assoc. & Mule Skinners Assoc.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Bill Jake & Ollie Mai Gannon Witty; his wife, Florella Witty and his brothers Robert, Lee Arnold & Billy Gayle Witty.

Woodbury Funeral Home, 563-2311, Woodbury Funeral Home

Guest Bronker

Heartbreak and a half, man.

Both of my grandfathers, fortunately for me, are both alive and well. I'm very close to my paternal grandfather, who himself is 88 years old and a WWII vet half-track driver in the 10th Mt. Division. Mostly in the European Theatre.

A finer man, I have yet to meet. A more brave and honest man I've yet to find. That man is my hero, and I cherish him.

So, I know how you must feel, Pop.

RIP, Bro. Bud.

BigPoppa, sorry for your loss. I never knew Bud Witty, but based on your post, I wish I had. Some ... perhaps most ... of us have been blessed to know a "great" man and many of the "greatest generation." I fear that with their passing, most of our younger folks will lose the perspective of their contributions to our country. Thank you for reminding us to thank those who are still here, and that it's time to step up, and step into their shoes ... as Southern Gentlemen and good Christians (lest our grandchildren fail to understand those terms).

My prayers are with you and your family. May Bud enjoy the fruits of his labor.

Guest Espanola

My prayers for you and your family. Be thankful you knew him. I'm thankful for me like him.

My wife's uncle passed a month ago...he landed at Normandy on D-Day. Good man who told me the only thing he wanted to do during the war was come back to Pea Ridge and grow sweet potatoes. He did.

That generation is quickly leaving us.