Help me pick out my new addition!

Guest walkingdeadman

Guest walkingdeadman

Hello all, I am looking to buy another pistol really soon and I just don't know what to get. I currently own a Glock 23 and a Taurus .38 Special. I have been looking for about two months now and I just can't make my mind up. I am not really set on anything specific. I have went and held other Glocks, S&Ws, Springfield Armory, Rugers, etc. I carry my .23 with my everywhere I go and it can be cumbersome sometimes but I have gotten used to it. So that got me to thinking that maybe I wanted to go to a smaller carry pistol like a Kel-Tech. But then I put that in my hand and I just don't feel like I could completely trust it. So then that sends me to the other end of the spectrum of looking at maybe a Glock .27 or .36 for the size and caliber.

I pretty much can't decide on what I want. I just some opinions, any help?? Thanks, Roy

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the same boat, I'm wanting a 3rd pistol in a bigger caliber than what I already own. I'm looking at the Glock 23 and the Sig p250 in .40 cal. I recently sold a G 27, those things are hand cannons.

I don't like the kel-techs at all, is the the brand you don't trust or the caliber?

How about you sell me the G23 and then you aren't out any money??

here is also a good deal. XD40 subcompact(the picture is wrong)

Springfield 40S 3" SUBCMPT ESSENTIAL for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $439.00

Guest RangeMstr
I recently sold a G 27, those things are hand cannons.

No, a Glock 33 is a hand cannon. A 3" 1911 in .45ACP is a hand cannon. A 2" .357 Mag or .45LC is a hand cannon.

The 26 and 27 have practically the same recoil. Why is it folks want to attribute discernibly heavy recoil to the .40 S&W cartridge?

No, a Glock 33 is a hand cannon. A 3" 1911 in .45ACP is a hand cannon. A 2" .357 Mag or .45LC is a hand cannon.

The 26 and 27 have practically the same recoil. Why is it folks want to attribute discernibly heavy recoil to the .40 S&W cartridge?

Because if the only car you've ever driven was a Ford Fiesta and somebody let you drive their Civic, you'd think the Honda had a supercharger under the hood or something. A guy driving a Ferrari will think they're both POS.

Until you shoot a snubby .357 with full powered loads, you don't know what Hand Cannon means :popcorn:

So that got me to thinking that maybe I wanted to go to a smaller carry pistol like a Kel-Tech. But then I put that in my hand and I just don't feel like I could completely trust it. So then that sends me to the other end of the spectrum of looking at maybe a Glock .27 or .36 for the size and caliber.

I pretty much can't decide on what I want. I just some opinions, any help?? Thanks, Roy

So you want a small size frame and large caliber? If so, maybe the Glock 27 is what you're looking for. I carry a Glock 26 in 9mm and enjoy shooting it at the range. It carries very well. You can pocket, IWB, OWB, shoulder, ankle, or appendix carry it, and most of the time not notice it. It's completely trustworthy. I've not had any failures with the gun. That's my opinion. Take it or leave it. Good luck on your choice.

Double stacks:all about 1.25 inches thick

Ruger SR9c, 24oz $400

Glock 26, small but just as thick at all Glocks. 20oz, Glock 19 21oz, $500

XD9sc, 26oz $500

S&W M&P9c, 22oz $500

single stacks: all less than an inch thick.

Kel-tec PF9 $350 13oz

Taurus PT709 slim, nice trigger, 19oz $400

Walther PPS 9 or 40, nice shooter, i love mine. 19oz $600

Kahr PM9, 16oz $700

Springield EMP 26oz $1000

In .45 a commander size 1911. Springfield, Colt, etc.

IMHO. If it is in your budget, the Kahr PM9 is perfect for carry. Next is PPS this gun shoots great. EMP would be awesome, just out of my pay grade. All of those above are great choices. The PF9 is a good budget carry, light, thin, well built, but many dont like the long trigger. I like the trigger on all of the others. I like single stacks 9mm. Shoot or handle some and pic the one that you shoot best.

Try a Walther PPS in 40. small, light, good trigger, good shooter and has the "knock down power". I went with the PPS over the kahr because i wanted the extra weight, so i could shoot at the range without getting tired.

Edited by gotigers
Hello all, I am looking to buy another pistol really soon and I just don't know what to get. ..... So then that sends me to the other end of the spectrum of looking at maybe a Glock .27 or .36 for the size and caliber.

Roy:__________

I like the baby glocks (...26,27,33...) for concealed carry. I regularly carry either a Glock 33 or a 2 inch J frame smith in my hip or jacket pocket (... the glock hides better, shorter, square shape...) in a kydex pocket holster by Alan Miller (...website here: Holsters and accessories).

I think the baby glocks are a great small carry pistol with plenty of punch. If glock made a single stack (...like the Walther PPS...); they would be my "ultimate" concealed carry pistol.

For what it's worth, ive carried full size 1911's and commander 1911's in both the old time shoulder holsters and inside the pants holsters. The glocks carry much better in the hip or jacket pocket because of the short overall length. I (...and others...) have found them to be extremely reliable and they pack a powerful punch.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Leroy

Edited by leroy
spelling!!!!

Organize a TGO shoot at one of the area ranges. I'm sure that you could shoot a wide variety of different guns and maybe be able to determine exactly what you want/need there. Holding a gun and liking the way it feels is good but actually shooting it is much better.

I'm sure there are a few Memphis area TGO members who might like to go to a range a do some shooting!

Guest cheez

I have a G23 and a G27. Both are I believe some of the best self defense weapons available. My G23 is my EDC gun and the G27 is my BUG. I trust my life to either of these guns everyday. I love guns and I read these forums about 30 hours per week. I see a lot of stuff about the 1911 pistols so I researched a bit. Lots of good info and reviews about the Kimber Ultra size pistols. I held an Ultra CDP II and fell in love so I bought it. I am in the process of breaking it in now. I expect it to be my new EDC pretty soon. It is lighter and smaller than the G27 and I can hit way better with it than even my trusty G23. 7 + 1 .45 firepower too. The only drawback IMO to the Kimber is the price. Hero Gear can ease that pain if you choose to go that route.

Glock 36 is a good pistol but it is almost exactly the same physical size as the G23. They both use the same holsters. You give up almost half the firepower of the G23 with this gun so why bother.

Kel-Tecs are not bad as long as you stay with the 9mm. I would personally only consider the KT as a BUG. Stay away from the mouse gun calibers though. Again JMHO that the .32 and .380 are just not effective enough for me to trust my family's and my life to.

I will jump in on te side of the Glock 27. Some claim a 9mm would be better but I used to shoot 357 and 44 mag. I looked at a small Kimber the other day but do not want to increase my ammo diversity as I now have the "Soft" rounds 380, 38 spc, 357, 9mm, and 40. If interested in a different system look at 556p or Bushmaster carbon 15 pistol. Of course these would be less than concealed carry items.

For the small footprint I chose the 380 LCP and got my wife a Sig 238 rainbow. My primary CCW is the Glock 27.

Well, as just "scratching an itch" you need some kind of 1911. How much you want to spend can roam from as little as $400 or so for a Rock Island up through...however much you care to spend. I just got through personally scratching that itch with a Taurus PT1911.

You also lack some kind of "real" revolver, by which I mean something with some panache. A .44 Mag or .45LC something or other for instance. I got myself a .44 Redhawk for this purpose. The ability to shoot easygoing specials up to 1000 ftlb+ thumpers is nice.

Now, if you're wanting something smaller you can carry I actually carry a G29(10mm), which is just the G27 on 'roids. I like it. Got another friend who has the 27 and he likes it as well. I've also got a Kahr P40 that is even smaller and lighter. Actually it's damn small and light for a .40, enough it takes some getting used to. Jumpy little SOB. OTOH it carries awfully nice for something with that much attitude.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you get.

Guest RangeMstr
Because if the only car you've ever driven was a Ford Fiesta and somebody let you drive their Civic, you'd think the Honda had a supercharger under the hood or something. A guy driving a Ferrari will think they're both POS.

Until you shoot a snubby .357 with full powered loads, you don't know what Hand Cannon means :)

Used to think so too, until I (possibly foolishly) bought a Ruger Alaskan at a show nearby and ran a cylinder of .454 Casull through it. Now my airweight .357 seems a bit tamer.

I like the Alaskan but it's not very concealable. I fired it a few times at night with full house .454 loads too. Talk about making your own sunrise...

Guest BigShot

If you get a 1911, even just one, you will be get the sickness caused by tighter groups and sweet triggers. Then for no known reason you will be compelled to get rid of all plastic. The only relief for ninteeneelevenitis is buying more 1911s and books and trying different springs and triggers and sears and hammers and then building your own... Don't do it.

Guest walkingdeadman

I have heard alot of great things about the new Ruger SR9. I'm gonna check it out the weekend and see how it feels. I am trying to figure why there is so much love for 1911s?? It seems everywhere you go someone is going on and on about their 1911. What am I missing?

I have heard alot of great things about the new Ruger SR9. I'm gonna check it out the weekend and see how it feels. I am trying to figure why there is so much love for 1911s?? It seems everywhere you go someone is going on and on about their 1911. What am I missing?

If it has to be explained, you're not affected by the 1911. It is hard to describe. Don't get me wrong, I like all guns. But the feeling I get when I even hold a 1911 is different. It is just comforting.

Ever shot one?

Guest walkingdeadman

Never shot one man. But that's probably the next step in narrowing it down. J just have to find someone or somewhere that has one for me to borrow.