Assault Rifle

Ebow1

I'm trying to decide which assault rifle I should start saving up for. I'm leaning towards a bullpup style and would like to get something larger then a .223/5.56 but the caliber is not totally out of the question. I really like the FN FS2000 and PS90. I was hoping for some suggestions from people with some more AR experience as this will be my first rifle of any kind.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MSAR STG-E4. Takes AR mags and the conversions will be for this model. They will have the 6.8, 7.62x39, and 5.45x39 out soon. I have the STG556 and love it. Right now you can get an STG556 for under 1k or the E4 for $1200-$1300.

Don't know about the FN except they cost A WHOLE lot more.

first off, I know someone is going to say it, but a "true assault rifle" according to some is select-fire. you should call it a homeland defense rifle

might look at the Kel-Tec RFB its a bullpup .308, otherwise I would go with a FS2000 or PS90.

also keep in mind that the triggers on most bullpups are not the best by a long shot.

first off, I know someone is going to say it, but a "true assault rifle" according to some is select-fire. you should call it a homeland defense rifle

might look at the Kel-Tec RFB its a bullpup .308, otherwise I would go with a FS2000 or PS90.

also keep in mind that the triggers on most bullpups are not the best by a long shot.

Assault rifle is a Liberal term

Guest rystine

+1

If your wanting both a bullpup AND larger caliber than 5.56 than the RFB is probably the way to go. IF you can afford the $2000 price tag that they command. They are pretty hard to find though.

There MIGHT be some other bullpups out there in 7.62x39, 6.8, etc. But I have to admit that I'm ignorant on what all is out there.

An AR in 6.8 or 6.5, or an AK would probably be a better choice. Honestly though some of the newer 5.56 ammo out there, especially the heavier bullet designs, are supposed to be pretty effective and worth looking into.

first off, I know someone is going to say it, but a "true assault rifle" according to some is select-fire.

Yea the term "assault rifle" gets on my nerves. A true assault rifle is select fire.

Anyway I would start with an AR. They are probably the most popular style of weapon out today. You can just do so many things with them. And if you are dead set against the 5.56/.223 you can get a 6.8 or 6.5. And you always have the option to switch to 5.56/.223 if you want to.

Guest drv2fst

I have owned many AR15's, a PS90, and a MSAR 5.56. I know bull pups are cool (i love em too) but if this is your first rifle I would recommend a AR15. Put some good optics on it and try many different types of ammo before you buy any large quantity. Find what your gun shoots best then get a lot of it and go practice.

PS90 is very cool but the ammo is weaker than the 5.56 and it cost much more.

MSAR is also cool. I'd spring for the E4 version as it takes standard AR mags and the STG version does not.

FS2000 is also very cool but it only takes metal AR mags not the (slightly thicker) very popular PMAGS.

If I was dead set on a bull pup, I'd get the FS2000 in 5.56 or the RFB in 308. I have never shot the RFB but I do personally prefer the 308 round to the 5.56.

All that said, get an AR15 for now and get a bull pup later.

Guest bart_p

I know this is only my second post here, but I thought I would start somewhere. If I were you I would stay as far away from bullpup rifles as I could. At first glance they seem like a good idea, but look at the relationship to your face/head and the action of the weapon. I have seen too many carbines decide to self destruct to want to chance my face being on top of the action of a firearm if that were to happen. I understand that the chances of that happening are slim, but you wouldn't catch me risking it. If you simply want a bullpup because of the length of the weapon, you should look into a SBR. It's a bit of a process, but if you plan on running the weapon hard you will find that it will be a lot more user friendly as far as controls, balance, and speed of reloads. Sorry for the rant. Good luck on whatever you choose.

Bart

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

I would advise you to pick up a ban era Colt AR15. I have seen the 20" match comp HBAR rifles from the ban era sell for around $700 and it's by far the most AR15 you can get for that kind for that kind of price. I have had many AR15 and various uppers are well, but my favorite is still my HBAR. Mine is exceptionally accurate and the quality it great. You can always get the barreled threaded for a flash hider and buy a new front sight base/gas block if you want a bayonet lug later on.

Edited by TwoLaneBlackTop
Guest PatriotCSA

If the SHTF and there's a quake/hurricane/zombies etc, make sure you have a rifle that shoots a common round. 5.56, 7.62x51, 7.62x39, etc. And if you do go with 5.56/.223, then make sure you get one that can specifically handle 5.56 nato rounds. They can take the 10k psi more of pressure that nato-spec rounds release. You can still shoot Remington cal .223 with a 5.56mm rifle, but not the other way around.

Looking for things like .50 cal beowolf or even 6.8spc (getting more common though) may turn your rifle into just a piece of metal. No offense to the 6.8 users. I absolutely love the round. I just wouldn't really count on other people having it when you run low in a nasty situation.

Guest rystine

On the other hand, if you do buy one of those "obscure" calibers like a .50 beo, 6.8, 6.5, etc; and your able to stock up (lets say 2500 rounds for example). By the time you did run out of that ammo in a SHTF situation, either: A) you're dead and it doesn't matter what gun you have; or :eek: there's plenty of "battlefield pickups" available.

I'm not as big into buying common calibers for the purpose of having easy to find ammo in case the SHTF. IMHO, if you get a decent stockpile of ammo and keep it up (replace it as you shoot it) you should be fine. YMMV

I'm trying to decide which assault rifle I should start saving up for. I'm leaning towards a bullpup style and would like to get something larger then a .223/5.56 but the caliber is not totally out of the question. I really like the FN FS2000 and PS90. I was hoping for some suggestions from people with some more AR experience as this will be my first rifle of any kind.

well, my pick for a "modern sporting rifle" :) , was an AR from Rock River Arms...

you mentioned wanting bigger than 5.56... mine is 6.8 SPC, and I'm very pleased with it.

6.8 is not the best choice for SHTF, as ammo would be really hard to find, but hey, that's why I "need" a new Larue Stealth 18" upper in 5.56, right...? ;)

seriously though, this is a major point in the AR's favor...need a different caliber rifle? just switch uppers...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest XD9GUY

Well, if you still want a Bullpup, you can get one at Classicarms.us

I think you can get one for about $390

Here's their AD:

The 1975 AK Bullpup is a semi-automatic

rifle chambered for the 7.62x39mm cartridge

True. I have several assault bricks in my garage, a few assault baseball bats, an assault hammer, an assault 2x4...

If you've never seen an assault 2x4 used on full-auto, you just haven't seen anything. :poop: