Itty Bitty New Toy!

I don't get to purchase a new handgun very often. After a little studying, and against the advice of a couple of friends I work with, I decided to leave my comfort zone(SA, S&W, SIG) and purchased a brand new Kahr P380! Sweet little gun, and makes my XD sub appear to be a MONSTER! It is as concealable as one could ask for, super thin, great feeling and overall aesthetically amazing! Wow!

(excuse the LG cell pics)

0317102115-00.jpg

Compared to my XDs/c

0317102116-00.jpg

20100318180930.jpg

Now...

Hope I haven't screwed up royally this time. Here is the email I just sent to Kahr requestin a Return Authorization::D

NIB. Purchased YESTERDAY! Tried multiple cartridge types, and ALL fail to battery. Attempted slide lock, mag insert, then slide release, FAILS TO BATTERY. Mag inserted, then manual slide rack, FAILS TO BATTERY. Hand loaded 1 round and fired, 2nd round FAILS TO BATTERY. Appears to hang round on extractor. I AM NOT PLEASED WITH MY 1st KAHR PURCHASE!

New out of box and stripped to clean and THERE ARE NO MARKINGS ANYWHERE ON THE FIREARM TO INDICATE ANY TEST FIRING FROM FACTORY! I purchased at the same time as friend who urged me to buy a SIG p238 as he did, I hope this was not a mistake. I also hope your customer svc/repair can make up for the disappointment I have had with this weapon.

Sums up my first experience with a KAHR!

I am glad their customer svc closes at 4:30 eastern. (3:30 our time) I would have felt sorry for the person on the other end of the line, had they have answered me when I called earlier!

:lol::death::):death:

Any other New Gun horrors out there?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Plainsman

That post sounds like a country song....

And those aren't on the cheap end of the pocket .380 market either! Hope they get it all worked out for you. Still hard to trust a gun that at one time never worked like it should, even if they did "fix it".

Guest cheez

Kahr turnaround is not bad. Both times I sent my PM40 to them for repair they had it back in my hands in less than a month. Now they did not repair the failure to battery nor the destruction of the mag followers nor the crushing of about 1/3 of all the spent cases but they did get it back to me.

Sorry to discourage you but not all Kahrs are good. From what I have seen only about half the polymer framed guns are any good.

Guest BigShot
Talk about a roller coaster report. I was all excited reading above the picture, then disappointed and feeling sorry for you at the bottom. Hope they get it worked out for you!

Ditto!! Can't believe how quick I went from so happy for the purchase of a new toy to WTH!! Hey Adam, I know it doesn't help much but there's LOTS of good folks on here feeling the sting with you. Best of luck with it!!

Please update how Kahr deals with you. :eek:

I have had a CW9 and now have a CW45...both have been excellent...with no failures to feed/extract/etc...seems like most of the problems you hear about are with the more "high end" models which is weird since the CW series has the same internals...let us know how it works out...I dont think you will regret the purchase I love my Kahr.

Guest Bronker

Wow! This seems to be showing a trend. Lots of new Kahrs having problems.

My wife's PM9 had problems before I even left the range at the gun store. I put 50 rounds through it, broke it down, and upon reassembly, it locked up on me. Wouldn't budge. When I finally got it broken down again finally, it did it again.

Long story short, the gun shipped from factory in Oct 09, with a guide rod / recoil spring assembly that was an older generation...in a NEW gun?!?!?!

After two calls to the gunsmith at Kahr, I made him send me a new guide rod (though he didn't agree with me that this was the problem). However, I'm 500 rounds into the repair, and have had not even a hiccup. Runs like a champ now.

And in keeping with what was already said, when problems occur, I come to this board first, before I even go to the company gunny. I was on the telephone with OhShoot until 3:00 AM that night, and with his expertise and my tinkering, we figured the problem out.

Good luck, and do tell the outcome.

Bought Kahr P9. On round 17, extractor blew out and fell at my feet. Sent it back to factory, where they replaced the extractor, polished the feed ramp and "tuned" it up. For my trouble, they also installed Night Sights, free. Not a problem since getting it back.

I have really been considering a Kahr but stories like this seem to be getting fequent

+1; I really like the size and how the triggers feel when I've handled them. But, I've just seen too many incidents like this to pay the price premium they command.

Guest Askgeneral

Ditto on the P238, I had mine back at Sig twice within the first 3, 4 months I had it....they have quick turn times, but was a pain having to send it back twice for feed issues.

Since the second return, seems to be doing fine though.

Guest mustangdave

Sorry to hear the troubles you guys had with the KAHR and SIGS...I got a KEL-TEC P3-AT in .380 for Christmas...FWIW....no FTF has gone BANG every time...IMHO not to bad for what it is...DINKY BANG BANG

Has had the same issues for years....and years....and

If you visit any of 10 Forums and do a Kahr search you will see one of two responses. Good to go right our of the box...or your story or mine.

I bought a PM 9 a couple of years back, thought all the bugs were probably worked out but still figured I had a 50/50 chance to get a winner and sure enough I got about 150 rounds through the recommended break in of 200 and the thing went to S***.

Sent it to Kahr, they paid freight back I paid it in. I heard later if you press them they will pay both ways.

In any event they fixed it, replaced most all moving parts and it has been fine ever since. Service was good and about two weeks turnaround.

Dottie was there then doing RMAs.

I spoke with one of the techs, who indicated a PM9 should be able to run any 9mm round since I fiddled around with different noses, thinking it was a fussy eater.

Buy a $500 dollar pistol and spend $150 to break it in ..... hmmm. ;)

BTW if it is any consolation, work through the issues, they are a great form factor and once up and running seem fine. I have about 400 rounds of 5 different JHPs through mine now.

Like Larry Seecamp says, "Break-in is a bunch of crap". or somthing like that.

My Seecamp .380 has been great from round one.

Guest 10mm4me

I am done w/.380 personally. Will never buy another. The last good one I had was an Interarms Walther PPK/S. It functioned perfectly w/everything I fed it.

Yep, same here. No more .380s for me. I don't care if the shelves are awash in ammunition and the price drops 50%. I have two and that's sufficient for a round of such ilk.

That said I have had .380 Winchester ST or Hornady PD IIRC correctly, whatever it is that Seecamp recommends and it hasn't shown up in months other than the high prices Hornady I bought to get my by for PD.

I actually feel about the same with 9mm right now. It's not too hard to find but I'll be go to hell that 4 years ago the shelves were piled high and the prices were pre high metals prices.

The only thing I see a wealth of these days is .40.

Now I will say the .223 is certainly back with a vengance. :popcorn:

I have had 5 kahr's. All 5 were flawless. I still own the PM40 and CW45. As for not wanting a .380... I'm stuck with one until a point in time there's a 9mm or .40 that is as small and light as a P3AT.

When I waer a belt.. I always carry a Kahr. Anything else.. sweats, shorts, etc.. it's the P3AT.