Detail Strip and cleaning

After seeing a few post here and on other boards, how many of you gentlemen and ladys have taken the time to learn to detail strip your pistols, revolvers and really learn to clean and service them properly. Especially you 1911 owners, and how often do you do it?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1911 is super easy IMO. I normally learn to detail strip them all. I have recently aquired a J-frame revolver that I have not detail striped yet. My 10/22 was probably the most difficult. I wont be taking it all the way down again.

I have done all US army small arms + ruger 10/22, sig sauer p226 and p225, m1911 multiple versions, glock g19, savage model 10, mosin nagant, and an old single shot 12 gauge.

Guest 10mm4me

Don't need to detail strip anything unless it breaks. This actually accelerates wear on the firearm. I have guns that are approaching 100 yrs in age, far as I know never been detail stripped, never will be, and work just fine. Unless you are repairing, replacing, or rebuilding, detail strip is usually a bad idea. That is why they made brushes, Q-tips, compressed air, and solvent tanks.

Don't need to detail strip anything unless it breaks. This actually accelerates wear on the firearm. I have guns that are approaching 100 yrs in age, far as I know never been detail stripped, never will be, and work just fine. Unless you are repairing, replacing, or rebuilding, detail strip is usually a bad idea. That is why they made brushes, Q-tips, compressed air, and solvent tanks.

Excepting the 100 yr old guns part, what he said.

Really! Dirt and grime, old powder residue, dried up solvents in places you can't reach with q-tips etc promote longevity and reduces wear. I guess preventive maintenance, fixing a problem before becomes one isn't really neccessary with something you might have to trust your life to.

I believe detail stripping is over rated. There are many products that will clean about just as well. I like foaming action cleaners. They drip dry and seem to leave no residue.

I have some pistols I have detail stripped and afterwards I wonder why I did it as there was no real benefit.

I like to see how things work.

Amen. And for that reason, I detail strip everything I buy when I first get it. After that, I am knowledgeable about the process, parts and if something breaks, I can take care of it myself. For cleaning, a basic field strip has always worked for me.

Actually, my 10/22 didn't get cleaned for about 15 years and it was shot on a regular basis. I was young and didn't know any better and my dad was a procrastinator. That rifle still outshoots me to this day. Cleaning in general is overrated but I still like to make sure that I have a clean bore and bolt.

How would proper detail stripping and cleaning cause additional wear. I am at a loss on this.

I could see how over tightening, doing something incorrectly or using the wrong tools could.

I don't get it either. I was a trained unit armorer and was never told anything about detail stripping wearing out the parts faster. The weapons we used in class were detail stripped down to individual pieces hundreds of times and were going to be put right back into the pool of weapons to be used.

I always learn to detail strip my guns and think everyone should have the knowledge and ability to do so, even if it's just so they have the knowledge of how all the parts work and fit together in their function.

I'm not one of those who puts any stock in the belief that disassembling/reassembling them causes any undue wear or harm, since after all, they're just "simple" mechanical devices that in engineering terms aren't really all that complicated (meaning a hell of a lot easier than taking apart your whole car or truck for instance), and without forgetting that they are guns, machines designed for repeated explosions to take place within them, they aren't quite as delicate as some may think.

I've found over time that I tend to like the simple designs that can be learned easily and that have a minimum of complication to them like Glocks and a few others... I like the piece of mind that you get in knowing exactly what's going on under the guns skin and that it's in a state where it will operate without surprises, and if issues do surface, I don't need anyone else's help to make it right.

Most guns have various straight pins or clips that hold parts together. The act of pressing a pin in/out of a hole repeatedly causes wear on the softer part. Pins get fractionally smaller, holes get fractionally bigger, threads wear, things get gouged when your screwdriver or pick slips. A skilled hobbyist or armorer with the proper tools likely won't do much damage disassembling a gun. But I think we all know someone who can't take a mechanical pencil apart without breaking something.

I have limited free time and choose not to spend it taking my guns apart. The designs are fairly simple, broken or damaged parts are usually obvious, and there's plenty of pictures available on the web. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it. YMMV.

I tend to agree with CK1 on this, I get the training and the tools I need to do a proper job and maintain my tools (which I consider my firearms). I want to know if it breaks I can fix it and this includes have common spares on hand when possible.

Guest 10mm4me
Really! Dirt and grime, old powder residue, dried up solvents in places you can't reach with q-tips etc promote longevity and reduces wear. I guess preventive maintenance, fixing a problem before becomes one isn't really neccessary with something you might have to trust your life to.

Yep. You'll wish you hadn't when that trigger spring you've pulled out 50 times for no reason breaks, or when a retaining pin hole becomes oversized from excessive removal and your pins start falling out along with major assemblies of your gun. If you were meant to detail strip a gun it would tell you how in the user's manual. But, do so if you fancy.

Guest 10mm4me
I don't get it either. I was a trained unit armorer and was never told anything about detail stripping wearing out the parts faster. The weapons we used in class were detail stripped down to individual pieces hundreds of times and were going to be put right back into the pool of weapons to be used.

Detail stripping in and of itself usually does no harm, but it opens up many doors. lost parts, forget to reassemble a small but crucial part, twist a trigger spring so it breaks when u start using it. Oversize retaining pin holes.

Detail stripping in and of itself usually does no harm, but it opens up many doors. lost parts, forget to reassemble a small but crucial part, twist a trigger spring so it breaks when u start using it. Oversize retaining pin holes.

Ill take my chances.

Guest strelcevina

i do it to every gun i own. i polish all moving contact parts for better performance..

and after that all my guns are 100% reliable

here is just some of them:D

1.jpg?t=1269402001

IMG_6479Medium.jpg?t=1269402035

FILE0063.jpg?t=1269402067

Guest Ae-35
;)
:bs:If you're ever in the service, you'll learn how to strip and clean your weapon, cause your life and others depend on it. As for the gun companies leaving out instructions for detail stripping. They used to years ago. But they learned that most people are too stupid to follow instructions an end up breaking something . I will admit that if your not in mud, sand, snow or rain,and not firing it everyday, then twice a year is sufficient. They're just guns, taking one apart and putting it back together is not "rocket science". You need a few tools. Hollow-ground screw drivers, punches, and a brass mallet. Look everyone has a right to do whatever, saying stripping your weapon damages it is just not true.

Yup.

Bought my Sig P6 and couldn't believe how much crud had accumulated in that thing over the years.

Most guns have various straight pins or clips that hold parts together. The act of pressing a pin in/out of a hole repeatedly causes wear on the softer part. Pins get fractionally smaller, holes get fractionally bigger, threads wear, things get gouged when your screwdriver or pick slips. A skilled hobbyist or armorer with the proper tools likely won't do much damage disassembling a gun. But I think we all know someone who can't take a mechanical pencil apart without breaking something.

I have limited free time and choose not to spend it taking my guns apart. The designs are fairly simple, broken or damaged parts are usually obvious, and there's plenty of pictures available on the web. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it. YMMV.

You must hang out over on the Glock forums with that kind of drivel ;)

I like to see how things work.

This!

You must hang out over on the Glock forums with that kind of drivel ;)

So you disagree that repeatedly installing and removing an interference fit pin causes wear on the pin and/or the hole? And you disagree that repeated installing and removing a screw or bolt results in thread wear? Duly noted.

So you disagree that repeatedly installing and removing an interference fit pin causes wear on the pin and/or the hole? And you disagree that repeated installing and removing a screw or bolt results in thread wear? Duly noted.

Yes I disagree with this, if proper tools and technique are used for removal then I don't see an issue. If you grab pins with pliers and pull them out and use the wrong tools, techniques and booger things up then yes you have a point. I have 1911's that are 20 years old have thousands and thousands of rounds thru them and have been detailed and cleaned ever 500 to 1000 rds. They have been properly lubed and cared for, there is not appeicable wear on pins or holes especially from disassembly and reassembly. As for screw or bolt wear, I take the grips off of my 1911s after ever range trip because I clean after every trip. I have never had a grip screw or bushing wear out, and over the years thats got to amount to 100 of removals and reinstalls.

I used to do this religiously, especially to my carry pistols and rimfires... then I bought an ultrasonic cleaner and it does an even better job.

Now I just disassemble at intervals to change essential springs, and it's already clean.

I used to do this religiously, especially to my carry pistols and rimfires... then I bought an ultrasonic cleaner and it does an even better job.

Now I just disassemble at intervals to change essential springs, and it's already clean.

What brand? Please provide more info.