are you ready?

Guest 2HOW

• Administrator

A co-worker has a friend who used to be fairly wealthy. I guess the guy still is, but not near as much as he was in 1998. The stock market crashing didn't do him in, mind you. Rather he was a casualty of the Y2K Bug. You guys remember the Y2K Bug, right? The computer glitch that was supposed to bring the industrialized world to it's knees? The programming boo-boo that was supposed to cripple the financial infrastructure of the entire free world?

Well this guy lost his ass financially not because of any two-digit date code but because he spent a ton of money building a bunker (here in middle TN) and stocking it with food, water, the means to produce electricity, armament, etc. The guy essentially set himself up for WWIII or the total collapse of Western Civilization. When New Years 2000 passed without so much as a fart, he was left with a lot of really expensive crap that he didn't have the desire or the means to properly rotate stock on. I think the story is he ended up giving away a lot of MREs to the Hurricane Katrina effort as a way of letting someone get some use out of them.

He still has his bunker. He still keeps a small stock of food and water in case of a natural disaster and I think he uses the bunker when the weather gets bad during tornado season. But other than that, he spent a lot of time and money preparing for something that was grossly mis-predicted.

Does that mean that he was wrong to do so? Nah. Preparedness is OK. But do it smartly and in moderation.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One only needs to look toward the midwest right now with the ice storm and all.

I remember the ice storm we had years ago. We lost power for about three or four days and didn't miss a lick. We cooked on the wood burning stove, and lit oil lamps. After that I remember for a few years I always mad sure we had plenty of wood, tanks topped off, a few extra beans and canned vegtables, and candles.

When I built my house a few years later I made sure I had more than one source for heat. I have Electric, Wood stove in the basement, and gas logs in teh living room. LOL!!!

We have a month's worth of food, a lot of first aid stuff, working on building up my guns & ammo, growing our own food more and more, woodstove for winter heat and cooking, looking into solar power.... It is kinda fun.

I ride a bicycle- I wear a helmet. In 20 years I have only used my helmet once. It saved my life according to the paramedics and doctors.

I figure it is a lot like carrying-- you hope you never need any of it, but if you need it and don't have it....

Guest canynracer
nah, I figured a comparison between what I should be and what I am would be funny... :cool:

That thing is AWESOME!!! looks more like my wife (dophin, and me slab of beef, but nimble just the same) LOL

Guest bkelm18

I really don't see how it's any of your business how prepared I am for whatever. Just because people don't talk about it doesn't make them sheep. So why don't ya just take off your tinfoil hat and settle down a bit. There's no way to be prepared for everything. I know what I'd do in the event of something happening, and that's all you really need to know.

Guest canynracer

between the neighbors and I... I think we are ready for the days of the "road warrior"

unless of course its nuculear...in which case, I hope the missle lands on my head.

Guest Scottech

I don't think I'm really all that prepared! I am, however, fully aware what is going on in the world because I'm a prolific reader and also because I work for the DoD and get current INTEL briefings all the time. Shhh it's a SECRET! :up:

...and some don't take them seriously enough. I have a hard time telling which group I am in. I guess it depends on who is judging.

Well, Armageddon/TEOFWAWKI/Whatever has been predicted for over a thousand years. And it hasn't happened yet. The notion that "no, this time it will be different" belongs in the category of conspiracy theory where every proof against it becomes further evidence for its existence.

Guest Phantom6
I make my own beer.... I am good.

I was just getting ready to say that very thing. Unfortunately my carboy is cracked and I haven't replaced it yet so though I'm good, I guess I'm not prepared. :panic:

This thread has inspired me. I will get another carboy first of the week and then I will not only be good but just let them commie, terroristic zombies come 'cause I will be prepared.Beer-Chug.gif Fortify then sanctify.sniper.gifBaptize them in the steel of righteousness! :)

In all seriousness and in keeping with the topic here, like Scottech, I too am a prolific reader. There are however, certain things that I will not discuss with anyone outside of close family members and close friends. One of those topics is just how prepared I am or what those preparedness plans may specifically include.

:eek:My biggest worry actually is the economy. With the crack investments the Gov. has been making and the mortgage industry trouble, the decline of the dollar is getting worse. No zombies or nukes. Probably bad availability of mags and ammo. Dont hurt to be prepared with a plan and enough stuff to make it work. When your representitives are doing stuff like this ,no telling how far they will go

icon1.gifRamadan yea, Christmas nay

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/A..._christmas_nay

spacer.gif

Democrats who supported a House resolution to honor Ramadan voted against a similar resolution to honor Christmas and Christianity last night.

18 Democrats voted “nay†or “present†on a resolution to “recognize the importance of Christmas and the Christian faith.†An eagle-eyed Republican House staffer points out that those same members, with one exception, voted to “recognize the commencement of Ramadan,†a Muslim religious observance in October.

Nine Democrats voted against the Christmas resolution. They are: Rep. Gary Ackerman (N.Y.), Rep. Yvette Clarke (N.Y.), Rep. Diane DeGette (Colo.), Rep. Alcee Hastings (Fla.), Rep. Barbara Lee (Calif.), Rep. Jim McDermott (Wash.), Rep. Robert Scott (Va.), Rep. Pete Stark (Calif.) and Rep. Lynn Woolsey (Calif.).

Another nine Democrats chose to vote "present." They are: Rep. John Conyers (Mich.), Rep. Barney Frank (Mass.), Rep. Rush Holt (N.J.), Rep. Donald Payne (N.J.), Rep. Allyson Schwartz (Pa.), Rep. Jan Schakowsky (Ill.), Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (Fla.), Rep. Peter Welch (Vt.) and Rep. John Yarmuth (Ky.).

Each of them supported the Ramadan resolution except for Rep. Lee, who did not vote

The gov't doesnt make investments. They spend money, sometimes on worthwhile things like infrastructure.

The S&L mess was a lot worse than the mortgage meltdown will be. We got through that one just fine.

The dollar was much worse c.1973-1979. We survived that just fine and came into it in much worse shape.

Idiotic politicians come and go.

None of those add up to Doomsday scenarios.

If you think your local Gov. dosent invest your money look at this.investment pool

mysak.jpg

Florida Just First to Face National Run on the Bank: Joe Mysak

By Joe Mysak

data?pid=avimage&iid=ie.Td_sfv_yE

enlarge_details.gif

Dec. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Florida officials are going to meet today to talk about the crisis in the state's Local Government Investment Pool. I don't know what they are going to talk about, but I know what they had better decide.

The State Board of Administration runs the pool, and its three trustees, Governor Charlie Crist, Chief Financial Officer Alex Sink and Attorney General Bill McCollum, had better decide that it's in the best interest of the state to ensure that all of the pool participants get their money back.

The investment pool, which contained $27 billion this summer, now has $14 billion, the result of withdrawals by municipalities with keenly developed senses of self- preservation. On Nov. 29 the board told the remaining participants they couldn't withdraw any more money from the pool.

The pool, which is where most of the state's municipalities put their money when they are not using it, owns $1.5 billion in securities that have been downgraded or defaulted as a result of the subprime market collapse.

In freezing the pool, Coleman Stipanovich, executive director of the board, said, ``If we don't do something quickly, we're not going to have an investment pool.''

The state stopped the clock.

The same clock is ticking for every state in the country where school districts and cities and towns put their faith in someone else, usually at the county or state level, to manage their money.

What's It Worth?

This means, I think, most of them.

Of course, that's the problem with Muniland in general: Nobody ever really knows precisely what's going on when a crisis like this hits. There might be as many as 100 pools like this across the nation, with assets of something like $200 billion.

They are supposed to offer daily liquidity for the public sector in much the same way that money-market funds do for the private sector. They are supposed to invest their clients' money in the safest possible securities, good old boring things like U.S. Treasuries, top-rated commercial paper and certificates of deposit.

It seems, however, that some of the commercial paper investments the Florida pool, and others like it across the country, purchased were backed by subprime mortgages and other things that have declined precipitously in value.

The people who manage the funds find themselves in the position of not being able to figure out exactly what the assets are worth, because they don't trade, or don't trade much, and no one seems to know what the stuff is.

Cents on the Dollar

Got that? Neither do I. Let me try this again. These state and county-sponsored pools invested in highly rated short-term securities that were subsequently downgraded really fast or even went into default because of the subprime disaster.

When word somehow gets out that the pools own this stuff, either because the pools themselves 'fess up or because some enterprising reporter drags the information out of them with open-records requests, pool participants withdraw their money.

If enough participants withdraw, the pools will have to sell some of that stuff that nobody can figure out what it's worth. You can bet that Wall Street, which packaged and sold the stuff in the first place, isn't going to offer 100 cents on the dollar for it.

This means that not everyone will get all their money back. On Nov. 30, an advisory panel of local governments in the Florida pool held a conference call with members of the State Board of Administration.

The SBA put out a ``Preferences Survey'' for discussion, and Question No. 1 was ``What percent of your current holding would you withdraw in December 2007, if it meant you would receive 99 cents on the dollar?'' The next three questions were exactly the same, except with 98 cents on the dollar, 95 cents on the dollar and 90 cents on the dollar.

Eyes on Florida

The municipal officials on the call would have none of it. They want 100 cents on the dollar. Anything less, they said, would be unacceptable.

They were a pretty conciliatory and reasonable bunch. They kept saying that what was needed was to restore confidence and trust in the fund. Most said they did not have immediate needs - -such as covering payroll or making debt-service payments -- and that they thought some provision should be made for the smaller municipalities among them who did.

The key word here, of course, is trust, and that is in very short supply at the moment. The state might make a real statement today, and assure municipalities that the great subprime meltdown of 2007 won't swallow them up.

Or it can let them all dangle. I have a feeling other municipalities across the nation will be watching, ready to reach for the telephone and bring their own deposits home.

(Joe Mysak is a Bloomberg News columnist. The opinions expressed are his own.)

To contact the writer of this column: Joe Mysak in New York at jmysakjr@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: December 4, 2007 00:02 EST

Man are you out of touch, just check Knoxvilles investment pool and see what they have invested in, its public record, and every small Government invests in what has been solid money, just so happens this market took a dump.:panic:

• Administrator
Man are you out of touch

Rather than making personal accusations like this, maybe stop and consider that not everyone is going to have the same view of the state of affairs in this world as you do.

Frankly it appears that you have some theories that are outside of the mainstream. While that doesn't mean they are necessarily wrong, it does mean that relating your opinions to 99% of the people here will be about as easy as trying to ice skate uphill.

I think your comments toward me are out of line. I am simply presenting the facts, dont shoot the messenger. I cant help it if you or others are blind to these facts. Its not an attack on anyone, Dont know how you could think that? maybe this is too hard for you to accept? Wake up , smell the roses. Out side the mainstream? Man im all about the mainstream , only difference between me and you, I read the news. Maybe we should have a reverse tinfoil hat , oh yeah we do, its called a dunce cap.:panic:

• Administrator
I think your comments toward me are out of line. I am simply presenting the facts, dont shoot the messenger. I cant help it if you or others are blind to these facts. Its not an attack on anyone, Dont know how you could think that? maybe this is too hard for you to accept? Wake up , smell the roses. Out side the mainstream? Man im all about the mainstream , only difference between me and you, I read the news. Maybe we should have a reverse tinfoil hat , oh yeah we do, its called a dunce cap.:panic:

As others here have said, you do not know me and do not know my state of preparedness. Furthermore, you really don't want to get into a contest with me of trying to make the other person look stupid. It wouldn't go well for you.

Your posts so far come across as those of an extremist / alarmist who has a borderline obsession with any number of conspiracy theories that suggest the global economy is on the verge of collapse and that we're staring down the gullet of the End Of The World As We Know it. You further estrange your fellow forum members by continually accusing anyone who doesn't share your views as "not getting it" or having their heads in the sand / their asses / other places.

Go you?

I'm glad that wireless Internet has become so common-place. It will allow you to stay in touch with us from atop the watchtower while you angrily make mental preparation for our return to the Middle Ages.

Believe me I'm not trying to make anyone look stupid, especially you. Mike this effects everyone, doesn't matter how much money you got. Its the economy. This subject has little to do with preparedness or 2A. Just thought I would add a little bit of info to the growing conscience of this forum,, sorry if I pissed anyone off. Thought it might be a good topic. I might seem extreme to you, thats objective. Believe me Im not, but I am aware of whats happening. I guess your pissed , sorry. We will meet up and break some primers and talk.\