copied this from GOC:

I have instructed the handgun safety course required to apply for a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit for nearly two years. In the process of getting certified to instruct these classes, I was provided with a DVD that was produced by the Tennessee Dept. of Safety.

In this video, two attornies with the TDOS speak about laws pertaining to where a permit holder can and can not carry their firearm. According to the video, one of these places is "anywhere that SALES or SERVES alcohol". They mention specifically that this could be a market that sales alcohol "to go".

So, in all the classes that I have conducted (based on this information), I have instructed my students that it is illegal to carry their handgun in businesses such as Wal-Mart. Simply because they sell beer on the premises.

A recent student of mine researched this law (TCA 39-17-1305)which states, "It is an offense for a person to possess a firearm within the confines of a building open to the public where liquor, wine or other alcoholic beverages, as defined in 57-3-101(a)(1)(A), or beer, as defined in 57-6-102(1), are served for on premises consumption." The law does not mention "beer to go".

I contacted the TDOS concerning this. I was informed that the video is outdated and a new one is in production. So, in my future classes, I will not mislead anyone else concerning this.

Just thought I would post this in the hope that it may help someone out.

I (Stuart Whitman) can be reached at (931)607-2313 or rangemasterpermits@yahoo.com.

You would think that someone giving the class would be up to date on the laws.:rolleyes:

Edited by brooksjr
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think that someone giving the class would be up to date on the laws.:P

You would think....but many don't.

Talked to a HCP instructor a little after the long gun in car carry for HCP holder's passed. He knew nothing of it.

A quick search of threads on here can find lot's of misinformation given out by instructors.

Don't get me wrong, many do a great job.....but a few don't.

Guest mac_05evo

Our instructor (just the other night) made sure to mention to us that the video would in effect call him a "liar" because it was produced in like 2000 or 2001 when carry in places like that was a no no.

It is GOC(Gun Owners Club), my mistake. I really should proofread my post.

It was posted on GOC just prior to me putting it on here Friday morning.

###.com, the guns classified that sprang from golsn.com?

He put it in a classified ad?

- Oh "obviously confused here" Shoot

###.com, the guns classified that sprang from golsn.com?

He put it in a classified ad?

- Oh "obviously confused here" Shoot

YEP. Actually it was the whole add. I copied and pasted it exactly how it was on GOC.

Just searched for it and it's no longer there. Maybe he pissed someone off and they did it in his name.

Edited by brooksjr
Guest Ditchdigger

I took Stuarts class last year to get my HCP, He's an LEO here in Mcminnville. Very nice guy and a good class. Guess you can't keep up with everything all the time. Glad to find out about ###, anyone know why they took the guns off LSN, just figured some legal reason.

I took Stuarts class last year to get my HCP, He's an LEO here in Mcminnville. Very nice guy and a good class. Guess you can't keep up with everything all the time. Glad to find out about ###, anyone know why they took the guns off LSN, just figured some legal reason.

If he is a LEO he should really know the law.

Guest Todd@CIS
copied this from GOC:

I have instructed the handgun safety course required to apply for a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit for nearly two years. In the process of getting certified to instruct these classes, I was provided with a DVD that was produced by the Tennessee Dept. of Safety.

In this video, two attornies with the TDOS speak about laws pertaining to where a permit holder can and can not carry their firearm. According to the video, one of these places is "anywhere that SALES or SERVES alcohol". They mention specifically that this could be a market that sales alcohol "to go".

So, in all the classes that I have conducted (based on this information), I have instructed my students that it is illegal to carry their handgun in businesses such as Wal-Mart. Simply because they sell beer on the premises.

A recent student of mine researched this law (TCA 39-17-1305)which states, "It is an offense for a person to possess a firearm within the confines of a building open to the public where liquor, wine or other alcoholic beverages, as defined in 57-3-101(a)(1)(A), or beer, as defined in 57-6-102(1), are served for on premises consumption." The law does not mention "beer to go".

I contacted the TDOS concerning this. I was informed that the video is outdated and a new one is in production. So, in my future classes, I will not mislead anyone else concerning this.

Just thought I would post this in the hope that it may help someone out.

I (Stuart Whitman) can be reached at (931)607-2313 or rangemasterpermits@yahoo.com.

You would think that someone giving the class would be up to date on the laws.:D

When did Whitman originally post that?
It was posted on GOC just prior to me putting it on here Friday morning.

Then, if that's the case, Whitman has been asleep at the wheel and there is no excuse as this one is a "biggie."

That said, I do wish that TDOS would put out a legal update brief (at least bi-annually) to all certified TDOS HCP Instructors...they do not, and it causes more confusion and misinformation than is acceptable.

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

I just completed my DOS gun safety class at ETSU. The instructor did an excellent job at explaining the outdated video. The two attorneys in the video are actually comical. It was apparent that they were not properly prepared to do the video. Hopefully the next (updated) video will be much more accurate and informative. I am an engineer and have taught classes from electronics to industrial safety. It is very hard to keep up with all the changes in standards, rules and regulations. So to brooksjr, don't beat yourself up over not being aware of the change. Keep on educating those of us who need it.

Guest Todd@CIS
So to brooksjr, don't beat yourself up over not being aware of the change.

?

I'm pretty sure he was/is aware of this OLD change, hence the creation of this thread...

... Glad to find out about ###, anyone know why they took the guns off LSN, just figured some legal reason.

A lot of LSN's revenue is from Google Ads, and they don't allow firearm sales in their TOS, so they separated guns into new site.

- OS

I'm sure he is a nice guy....but it is even worse that he doesn't know the law if he is a LEO too.

It's not exactly like it was a recent change....it was changed in July 2001, see Public Chapter 345 of 2001

I just completed my DOS gun safety class at ETSU. The instructor did an excellent job at explaining the outdated video. The two attorneys in the video are actually comical. It was apparent that they were not properly prepared to do the video. Hopefully the next (updated) video will be much more accurate and informative. I am an engineer and have taught classes from electronics to industrial safety. It is very hard to keep up with all the changes in standards, rules and regulations. So to brooksjr, don't beat yourself up over not being aware of the change. Keep on educating those of us who need it.

Not sure where that came from? My HCP instructor had the decency to keep up to date on the law.

?

I'm pretty sure he was/is aware of this OLD change, hence the creation of this thread...

Yeah I try to at least know where I'm legal to carry.