The 1911 is an Outdated Design

Im Neero

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
It came from an era in which our country tried to supply its fighting men with the best tools possible, unlike today, when our fighting men and women are issued hardware that was adopted because of international deal-making, or the fact that the factory is in some well-connected congressman's district.

I'm going to jump on this before Rabbi does. :woohoo:

I have to unfortunately take issue with this notion because many different manufacturers produced 1911s during WWII and they weren't always "top quality" pieces. Who knows what sort of deal-making was involved then.

Nice piece. I like the idea, but I don't think the 1911 is the end all, be all:eek:.

I'm sure some great American(hopefully American, although with all the lawsuit stuff probably not:rolleyes:) will find a way to reinvent the wheel (no Rabbi, not the "wheel" gun. That design is dead:D).

And the next John Browning is............:woohoo: Can't wait to see.

The next giant leap in small-arms technology will likely involve caseless ammunition and electronic ignition. Making that reliable is a long way off.

Metalstorm is an interesting concept, but is a very primitive application of the technology... akin to a high tech, electronic, multi-shot muzzle-loader. Whoever can integrate that technology with a reliable, reloadable feed mechanism will be gold.

The next giant leap in small-arms technology will likely involve caseless ammunition and electronic ignition. Making that reliable is a long way off.

Metalstorm is an interesting concept, but is a very primitive application of the technology... akin to a high tech, electronic, multi-shot muzzle-loader. Whoever can integrate that technology with a reliable, reloadable feed mechanism will be gold.

Not to hijack, but has anyone noticed how the chatter is picking up on caseless, electronic ignition stuff? CSI-Miami had an episode the other night about "the Vaporizer", and "Weoponology" had a show on them. I've read a few articles and have seen a few other shows mentioning this kinda stuff, but I can't remember where.

Pretty cool stuff if you ask me.

I'll be interested when someone produces a caseless cartridge which is propelled by RDX, (the explosive portion of C-4, which has a pressure wave velocity over 4X that of nitrocellulose). This would require a chamber and action which was significantly stronger than current designs, but would allow for much higher projectile velocities... think very small caliber projectiles at 10K+ fps! Small caliber and no case = light weight & high capacity. The barrel would need to be lined with beryllium, and the chamber would need to be very thick, and externally cooled (heat-sink, & thermocouples to keep the battery charged). The projectiles would need to be polymer-cased steel sabot rounds, because copper & lead would disintegrate at hypersonic velocities at sea-level (so would steel, but should survive a millisecond flight-time, at least).

This is not implausible. But nitrocellulose and lead will be around for a long time yet...

Guest gcrookston

didn't remington try electronic ignition a few years back and failed to find an audience?

As for deal-making... The American Government and the Military have a history dating back before the revolutionary war of favor selling, underbidding, providing poor or insufficient weapons and material to the front line troops...

I like the 1911 a lot and have owned quite a few (and still own a couple), but there are other, better guns out there now. It wouldn't be my first, second or third choice for personal defense or combat.

i heard some talk on another forum about a hg in production useing some sort of finger print scanner as to not have it used against you.this has been thrown around before but this is the first i have ever heard it is being produced

i heard some talk on another forum about a hg in production useing some sort of finger print scanner as to not have it used against you.this has been thrown around before but this is the first i have ever heard it is being produced

Heaven help you if you're wearing gloves then...!

Methinks that the fingerprint scanner will never make it to the market. Such a thing could never be reliable.

A 1911 is a great handgun if you practice with it and get used to firmly gripping the grip safety and can get the safety off fast. I have tried one a few times at the range and really enjoyed shooting the 1911. I get great groups with one because the triggers on the Kimbers and Sprinfields i've shot break cleaner than my Glock. If i had the money, i wouldn't mind a good 1911 in 9mm (there are a few out there) to save money on ammo and still enjoy the functioning of the 1911 design.

A 1911 is a great handgun if you practice with it and get used to firmly gripping the grip safety and can get the safety off fast. I have tried one a few times at the range and really enjoyed shooting the 1911. I get great groups with one because the triggers on the Kimbers and Sprinfields i've shot break cleaner than my Glock. If i had the money, i wouldn't mind a good 1911 in 9mm (there are a few out there) to save money on ammo and still enjoy the functioning of the 1911 design.

The 9mm is called the Browning High Power. The refined and "perfected" 1911, according to Mr. Browning.

Guest flyfishtn
...at one time, yes. But, it's been awhile.

P.S. FN/Browning is Belgian.

He was thinking beer. :bowrofl:

Actually both are correct. From perusing Google the "ian" appears to be used for items originating from the country. But I digress.