Hey gang...RIP 09 Mustang Bullitt 6292

Guest mustangdave

Guest mustangdave

Just thought I would write an obituary for my wife's 09 Bullitt...we lost the Bullitt saturday afternoon in the severe weather as Trish was trying to get home after working at our church...she left Franklin at 2:15...and finally got home at around 6:30ish. she tried in vain to get home but every road she got on was eventually blocked by flood waters...in a last ditch effort she got on I-24 at Haywood Lane trying for Bell Rd...traffic stopped at about 4PM...Mill Creek was on the freeway...she abandoned the car when water compromised the cabin through the door...and hiked back to the Walgreens on Bell/Bluehole...so close to home, but still impeeded by water. We were in constant contact via cell phone the whole time. She made her way to the Extended Stay motel on Bell Rd...where I picked her up...having found a relatively dry route out of the sub division.

The Bullitt...was totally submerged...at least over night...saw it sunday morning on the channel 5 morning new video footage...maybe 20-30 yards from where Trish abandoned it and completely turned around. Called the police and insurance...don't know how salvagable the car will be....interior will have to be completely replaced...electronics are probably shot...engine??? I don't know, but I would imagine there's been some water intrusion.

Anyone here have any experience with flood damaged cars? any sage advice?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coldblackwind

Get the insurance money, and get rid of the car. It won't ever be right most likely. All the electronics will be shot, engine, and transmission full of water. Just dump it and get another one.

Get the insurance money, and get rid of the car. It won't ever be right most likely. All the electronics will be shot, engine, and transmission full of water. Just dump it and get another one.

X2. There will definately be water in the engine and transmission, axles are also another concern that alot of folks sometimes for get about, because water in the axles will blow out the axle seals. Interior and all electronics would need to be replaced, because these things can trap moisture that may not show any problems until later on after you've got it back up and running.

Guest Glock23ForMe

Ditto to above. Even with repairing it, it would still show problems long after it is "fixed" from all the water damage. I hear that Dodge Viper prices are dropping...

that car is done.

This whole flood thing is going to screw people on used cars for a while to come. There will be a lot of flood damaged cars out there for sale.

On that note, I do have a nice car for sale... Err.. Maybe this should be in the classifieds forum, though...

Flooded-car-in-the-basement-1.jpg

Edited by Glock23ForMe
Guest Glock23ForMe
that car is done.

This whole flood thing is going to screw people on used cars for a while to come. There will be a lot of flood damaged cars out there for sale.

On that note... I do have a nice car for sale... It's beige... Maybe this should be in the classifieds....

Flooded-car-in-the-basement-1.jpg

Guest ADAM

There still maybe hope. Back in 2000 I ran my Nissan 240 straight into Cherokee Lake(long story) the car was totally submerged for about 24 hours, before we pulled it out. I let the car set for about a week with all the drain plugs out of it and totally dry out.I never di change any seals or bearings all I changed was the oil, rearend grease and all other fluids, even drained the gas. After all of that the car fired back up and ran fine for another 5 years. I did replace the carpet in it, because I couldnt get the mildew smeel out of it. I never had any problems after that other than regular maintence.......but still yet I would take the insurance money. Glad everyone is OK.

Guest 1817ak47

the wiring will have alot of corroded connections that will only keep gettin worse to the point your car will act like it has a stuck gas pedal etc. everything and nothing will work when you want it to and don't want it to that is electronic.

I bought a flood damage car once. The seller was upfront about it, and I thought I was getting a great deal.

I didn't.

The entire interior needed replaced (I even tried the baking soda under the carpet trick and it didn't help.) The ECU and nearly any other computer in the car was toast. In the end I sold it for a loss just so I didn't have to deal with it anymore.

You do not have to accept payment if they say it's repairable and you know it's not. If that happens, I'd suggest you go to your Ford dealer for estimates if you purchased the car new. My gut tells me that previous posters are right and this car will never be the same.

Let the insurance company total it and get a new one. Even though the wiring connections are weather pack type, water will still find its way in and the electronics will be done. If it does dry out and it seems to run, you will find all kinds of gremlins in it. Electronics just can't handle that much water, not to mention all the other crap that probably got in the car.

Sorry to hear about losing a nice car like that.