To Mag Na Port or not........Help

Here is the issue. I have a Ruger 270 WSM, that I love to shot. Got rid of the composite stock and had a laminated stock seated. Put nice scope on it. Awesome looking gun and a great shooter. The thing kicks like grandpa’s mule. After about 10 shots I start flinching and after 20 shots Im black and blue for a week. Ruger does not suggest muzzle brakes. Most suggest Mag Na Port. Has anyone had this done to their gun and DOES IT HELP.

Thank You in advance for your help

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FroggyOne2

Actually ... the Mag-Na-Ports will not direct the blast at him.. but rather streight up.. I had a Ruger Redhawk once that I had Mag-Na-Ported.. it help significiantly!

Thanks Gentlemen; we will know alot more about it in several weeks. I sent mine off to see what happens. I will post pics and effects as soon as I get it back.

Guest mgjohn

I have a Remington 700 in 375 H&h that I had Mag-Na-Ported.

It now kicks like a 243 and you can shoot it all day long.

At 250 yards it will group about 1 3/4 inch using handloads and old Herters bullets.

I have a Remington 700 in 375 H&h that I had Mag-Na-Ported.

It now kicks like a 243 and you can shoot it all day long.

At 250 yards it will group about 1 3/4 inch using handloads and old Herters bullets.

John:___________

Is your 375 a safari (...they have a rosewood forend cap and a satin finish european walnut stock --- real pretty...)? If so; I have it's brother that i picked up in a trade probably 30 years ago. Try the 300 grain sierra bottails (...link here: Sierra GameKing Bullets 375 Caliber (375 Diameter) 300 Grain Spitzer Boat Tail Box of 50 - MidwayUSA). We used to get a cloverleaf for 3 shots at about 80 yards prone. I'ts truly great to hear from another true believer with a big rifle!!

RE: the original question:

Thanks Gentlemen; we will know alot more about it in several weeks. I sent mine off to see what happens. I will post pics and effects as soon as I get it back.

Dont think you can go wrong magnaporting any hard kicker.

Kind regards,

Leroy

Edited by leroy
added note

Keep us informed on how it works out. I doubt a muzzle break or Mag-na-Port will tame it considerably.

I have a .308 Remington 700 VLS that is a beast when you are talking about shooting 50-100 rounds in one sitting.

I have bought a PAST recoil pad, but haven’t tried it out yet.

PAST

I thought the BlackHawk Axiom rifle stock looked like a good idea, but I couldn’t find anyone that had one on a 700 Heavy barrel and the company wouldn’t respond to my email; so I gave up that idea.

Guest FroggyOne2

Everytime I go out to the range.. it is at least 75 rounds.. no porting.. but then I am not shooting a super big bore either.. just a .308 and .284.

Guest mgjohn

Yes it is a safari. Makes me want to get a 458 now. Thanks for the bullet info. Lucked into the old Herters bullets years ago and am down to about 1500 of them.

Guest Phantom6

Porting works well on a shotgun but a rifle is generally fired less and taken care of with a muzzle break. I know someone :D that does great porting work according to every porting customer they've ever done a job for, less expensively than Magna Port. Give me a week for the check to clear and I'll tell you who it is.:D